Fraschilla/Bilas

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Bilas is a definite shill for the ACC. He only likes blue bloods. All other schools are the proverbial mosquito on a camping trip for him.

• Agree
Reactions: CyNews and 0u812

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Bilas is a definite shill for the ACC. He only likes blue bloods. All other schools are the proverbial mosquito on a camping trip for him.
He played and coached at Duke so I get it. All the old Duke players aren't shy about it either. I think he's ok but he does come of high and mighty.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I think Fran just really likes basketball and it comes through.
Fran knows the Big 12 and brings a great feel for the players, coaches and history of the conference. Whereas Bilas is a drive by. Plus Fran brings so much personality to each telecast.

My 10 year old son and I sat next to him and his ESPN crew at a restaurant in the P&L after a game in KC several years ago and he is the nicest human being. Fran spent 5 minutes talking to my son about his youth basketball team.
I think Fran just really likes basketball and that passion comes through. He'd probably have a decent amount of energy calling one of your son's youth games.

Reactions: CyNews

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
This is exactly what I was going to say. Bilas is awful. ESPN views Duke as the greatest basketball school by a large margin. Every Duke game gets put on ESPN. Not ESPN 2, not ESPN +, ESPN. They could be playing an NAIA school, and the #1 vs #2 team in the country could be playing at the same time, with ESPN holding rights to both games, and ESPN would play the Duke game on ESPN while the other game gets sent to ESPN 2. Jay Bilas played at Duke. It’s no wonder why he’s their main college basketball guy, even though he’s ******* the drizzling *****.
Why do you think Duke gets the ESPN time slots? Bias or because they are one of the three biggest brands in college basketball. It’s a business to make money and Duke brings eyeballs in. Just like Alabama football. I seriously wonder how people don’t understand this and cry bias or favoritism all the time.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Fran takes the time to get up close and get to know everything he can about the teams prior to a game. Bilas doesn't. It shows. And I'm not saying Bilas is bad at it, he isn't. He just doesn't connect as well and what he provides is pretty standard, IMO.

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Why do you think Duke gets the ESPN time slots? Bias or because they are one of the three biggest brands in college basketball. It’s a business to make money and Duke brings eyeballs in. Just like Alabama football. I seriously wonder how people don’t understand this and cry bias or favoritism all the time.
I wonder if it's a cyclic thing. Alabama and Duke saw extensive airtime (compared to others in their respective focused sports) in the early days when airtime and channels were limited. They gained recruits from that, allowing them to choose the best players available, enabling them to build better teams and continue to win.

Basically, my question - did blue bloods feed the tv money machine, or did tv create the blue bloods? Or is it maybe a mixture of both?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I wonder if it's a cyclic thing. Alabama and Duke saw extensive airtime (compared to others in their respective focused sports) in the early days when airtime and channels were limited. They gained recruits from that, allowing them to choose the best players available, enabling them to build better teams and continue to win.

Basically, my question - did blue bloods feed the tv money machine, or did tv create the blue bloods? Or is it maybe a mixture of both?
It's definitely both. But once the money machine is invested in brands they want to maintain them. It's a long term job and very expensive to have to promote and build up new ones if the regular ones aren't getting it done.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
No I get that, the problem is Duke doesn’t draw anymore viewers than anyone else when given the ESPN time slot. If they were always pulling in big ratings, it wouldn’t be a problem. They just don’t do better than anyone else who gets put on ESPN at 7 o’clock at night.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'd take King McClure of Fran. But seriously, one of the things I can't stand about Fran is he will yell out some definitive statement like say there is a charge called, he will say "YEP THAT IS ABSOLUTELY A CHARGE! THAT IS THE CORRECT CALL, COACH X OR PLAYER X HAS NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT" Then a replay will show that no, in fact it wasn't correctly called but he just doubles down like you don't have eyes. YEP CORRECT CALL! SEE THAT WAS A CHARGE.
:rolleyes: You just described King McClure to a T.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Bilas is knowledgeable but he comes off a little arrogant and feel like his Duke/ACC bias seeps in a lot

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Fran also always has the "we call this X" And it is something I have never heard anyone say.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Do announcers impact the way you enjoy a game? I guess I don’t really notice them too much outside of a BIG game and you then you can tell it’s a big game announcer but on a nightly basis I barely pay attention to who is calling an ISU game but that could just be me.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Do announcers impact the way you enjoy a game? I guess I don’t really notice them too much outside of a BIG game and you then you can tell it’s a big game announcer but on a nightly basis I barely pay attention to who is calling an ISU game but that could just be me.
Bad or biased announcers can absolutely impact how I enjoy the game. I get particularly annoyed when they are more interested in their conversation than they are about actually CALLING the game...like calls by the refs, or who fouled whom in the middle of a rebounding scrum. I usually keep ESPN box score open so I can figure it out for myself when they can't be bothered to clarify.