Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I would be willing to bet that these stuck up pac snobs want some sort of rebranding to keep the pac name somewhat in play. Big PAC?
I don't think there's enough left of the PAC to backfill with MWC/AAC schools. There aren't enough AAC schools with enough value, and the MWC's buyout is too high for 2024. Also, the PAC remainders have no buyout because they have no media deal.

The name's fate will be decided between Stanford, Cal, OSU and WSU. OSU and WSU are likely MWC bound, perhaps they'll take the name with them. Stanford wouldn't need the name if they go independent, and who knows what Cal's next move is.

On the plus side, grafting the name on the MWC is a sure way to finally get decent leadership for the "PAC." Everyone in the conference office will likely be gone or merged into the MWC.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
It would be funny to get Utah and ASU on reduced shares but it doesn’t do anything for Iowa State. We get paid the same either way. It would be a slight competitive advantage over them in order to save ESPN and FOX a little money. I don’t care other than to just give them a middle finger. Probably not worth it.

If we were divvying up a pot of money, and giving them less meant we got more, that would be different.
It'd be very interesting if these savings could be renegotiated back into the contract in another way. For example 'extended' to apply to ACC. Or reapplied into extra advertising for viewership. Or added to next contract with interest. and on and on.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
So, what is BY's next move?
suck-it-tripled-h.gif

Reactions: 2122 and tim_redd

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Did I miss the AZ commitment and the ASU/UU begging? Or is it just presumed at this juncture. I'm certainly presuming, but in true ISU fashion won't sleep until something is on the dotted line.

AZ absolutely wants to be in the Big 12; but at the moment they’re being ****-blocked by Crow’s commitment to the PAC X. And with the ABOR wanting to keep AZ and ASU together… it’s a mess.

But the Big 10 taking ORWA all but ensures that Crow can’t make ASU a roadblock for AZ anymore because ASU now needs that lifeline.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm leaning that way too. I'm thinking UConn might actually be a better add for the long term vision of the B12 than ASU or Utah.

It's hard for me to imagine that 9 Big 12 football games from a fan base in a sparsely populated state where half the fans in that state hate UU...is significantly more valuable than the #1 basketball program of the past quarter century joining the #1 basketball conference of the past decade. That's without even considering that Arizona...another top ten basketball product, is very likely joining.

On a per game basis, I can see it. On a total games basis it would seem to me viewership of the elite college basketball team in the elite college basketball conference would blow by that.

My guess is Yormark knows this and he knows basketball has more inventory upside and it's why he's at least had this as valued option even if it's a backup option.

I'm pretty ambivalent towards ASU, join or not, fine either way. With BYU already in tow I definitely don't think Utah is some amazing game changing addition if the choice is Utah or UConn. If it's just Utah for the sake of Utah and there's no opportunity cost I'd add them in spite of their jacka$$ery because they have a winning fb program and while their market is very small their fans are activated unlike much of the Pac and much of the ACC.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Are the brands that are likely to remain after the SEC\B10 have their picking actually any better for the big 12 than ASU\Utah? And with B10 going to 18 (and likely 20-22 after ACC pickups), 16 won't be a ceiling anymore at that point

I think Pitt, VaTech and NC State are clearly more additive than Utah or ASU only because we already have BYU and likely AZ.

Beyond that the ACC teams would have to convince me they add more. Maybe Louisville or GT could sell me. Maybe by some slim miracle Miami or Duke don't get an invite but hard to see.

I think UConn does deserve to be in the discussion...we're talking about #1 basketball program joining the #1 conference and along with Arizona the Big 12 would be even more successful/prestigious in hoops than the SEC has been in football.

Reactions: jdolson27

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It's hard for me to imagine that 9 Big 12 football games from a fan base in a sparsely populated state where half the fans in that state hate UU...is significantly more valuable than the #1 basketball program of the past quarter century joining the #1 basketball conference of the past decade. That's without even considering that Arizona...another top ten basketball product, is very likely joining.

On a per game basis, I can see it. On a total games basis it would seem to me viewership of the elite college basketball team in the elite college basketball conference would blow by that.

My guess is Yormark knows this and he knows basketball has more inventory upside and it's why he's at least had this as valued option even if it's a backup option.

I'm pretty ambivalent towards ASU, join or not, fine either way. With BYU already in tow I definitely don't think Utah is some amazing game changing addition if the choice is Utah or UConn. If it's just Utah for the sake of Utah and there's no opportunity cost I'd add them in spite of their jacka$$ery because they have a winning fb program and while their market is very small their fans are activated unlike much of the Pac and much of the ACC.

I’m fine with taking AZ and sitting at 14.

I’m also fine with making ASU 15 as it would grease the skids for AZ’s move.

16 I just don’t care at this point - UU; UConn; whatever. We just need a team to fill this spot if ASU comes.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron