Iowa State Uniform Discussions

Draf

Jun 8, 2017
Here's a concept I did a couple years ago that was shared on Uni-Watch

I used @jdoggivjc's Running Cy on the "away" helmet - used Whirly Bird on the "whiteout" uniform (strictly used ONCE in a season) - also notice the "ghost" Trice stripes on the jersey & pants - & I know pretty much everyone hated the black collar, but I brought it back, I love it & Cy has a black collar too!

The "cardinal" color is actually called something like Country Barn Red - I found on a website - I forget where the "gold" is from, but I thought it went well with this shade of red - "athletic gold" was too bright

View attachment 112736
@jdoggivjc didn't design that version of the walking Cy. That's one of my interpretations of a modern walking Cy.

Reactions: t-noah and CYCLNST8

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Draf, I had not noticed your rendition here until just now (I'm sure I did, but forgot). Really good job! The Walking CY is 'back in the news' since amestoplease came out with his on Friday.

As others have said, we have enough talent right here on CF. I think the AD (Athletic Dept.) should listen to our ideas!

As far as the Walking CY, we could have a poll (I'm not going to do one) on: which head, which body, which arms, which legs/feet (boots), are preferred. Haha. I think (subject to change, of course) that I prefer the head on the 3rd CY here. The 2nd one here looks more like the Louisville Cardinals (maybe)(without pulling it up). The 4th one reminds me too much of our current BuckyCy. I'd rather get past that.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
It's interesting how a lot of teams are going back to the bars on the shoulder pads and helmets and more of an "old school" look, kind of going away from the swooshy look to uniforms

Reactions: State2015

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
As far as the "cheapness" of the past or current throwbacks, I am sure they have not wanted to spend as much on a one off uniform that will be worn 1 time vs regular full season uniforms.

Thus, they cut some corners on the material etc. How much of a difference that is, I dont know. I also wonder sometimes the amount of time available to get them made effects the quality of the finish as well.

These are just guesses but I can see them being part of the issue.

Overall those of us on here that look at things with a microscope are probably a small minority of the entire fanbase that notices/cares about the quality of the uniforms.

Reactions: 1238576073jb

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Always impressed by OSU's uni's, basketball and football (not every combo but the majority of them). They incorporate old logo's/designs with modern touches very well.

Agreed. Wish we could incorporate some of our classic logos and designs.
OSU Logo v I-State, Cowboys v Cyclones, Pistol Pete v Walking CY, Sherrif's Badge v Cynado. What could be, if we did similar to OSU!

We basically only use 1 logo (I'm not even counting BuckyCy or his head), v the Cowboys' 4+.
Seems like we are always a few years behind when it comes to uniforms
I think the 'door is open', we just need to walk through it. The 'window is open', we will likely 'fall out of it'. That's probably what we'll do, fall out! LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron