Random Thoughts 17: Here we go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Mostly. There were some old big bulb ones. Not A15 but bigger ones. Not sure why you would do those.

Ours are hard wired so I wanted to have time to tear into and daylight. Our old ones are pushing 20 years and they work sometimes and sometimes they don’t. All different sizes also, pain to get bulbs simce
They are different sizes. New ones have white to yellow light, different levels of brightness and you can swivel the light.

Been there done that last year. 70-something me contorting under the cabinets to put in new LED undercabinets was harder than 50-something me putting in the originals 20 some years ago. Good news was I used the same brand and the plugs for their units, from their junction to the new units had not changed. So, saved hardwiring, was mostly plug and play with a pain in the ass unit mounting.

Reactions: NWICY and BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Been there done that last year. 70-something me contorting under the cabinets to put in new LED undercabinets was harder than 50-something me putting in the originals 20 some years ago. Good news was I used the same brand and the plugs for their units, from their junction to the new units had not changed. So, saved hardwiring, was mostly plug and play with a pain in the ass unit mounting.
These are optional hardwire or plug one in and run them in a series. The stove separates one from a bank of three and the sink separates another large one. So I did the smaller solo one as a tester. Not fully happy with my hardwiring, will be fine but I don’t like any wires with slack outside of stuff and this one had a little.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Cool. You'll probably pass near the Shire.

Sis is doing a shore ex there.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Late one night I came across a channel that was airing beach volleyball but they were using their feet instead of their hands. While this was somewhat impressive I was wondering why this is a thing let alone on tv.
I know I'm late on this, but I remember a story in the Daily, I think, from way back when I was in school where people originally from Southeast Asia, I think, were playing that. Instead of an inflatable ball the one they were using appeared to be woven from long leaves or reeds. They were using feet and heads only.

I found the ball for sale:

61LyC3oMR6L._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Never ride along in the jump seat of a cargo plane. Things I learned from that Tom Hanks movie. ;)
Never travel anywhere with Tom Hanks:

Ship? Captain Phillips, Joe Versus the Volcano, Greyhound, Forrest Gump
Plane? Cast Away, Sully, The Terminal
Train? Polar Express
Car? Road to Perdition
By Foot? Saving Private Ryan
Space? Apollo 13

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Never travel anywhere with Tom Hanks:

Ship? Captain Phillips, Joe Versus the Volcano, Greyhound, Forrest Gump
Plane? Cast Away, Sully, The Terminal
Train? Polar Express
Car? Road to Perdition
By Foot? Saving Private Ryan
Space? Apollo 13
How about a motorcycle or bike?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Learned a few things tonight. Looked through my moms family history book. She had always talked about this one lady who I had no idea who she was but mom seemed tight with her. It was her cousin. Also, I had 3 great uncles marry 3 sisters from a family, not their sisters but 3 women who were sisters

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Learned a few things tonight. Looked through my moms family history book. She had always talked about this one lady who I had no idea who she was but mom seemed tight with her. It was her cousin. Also, I had 3 great uncles marry 3 sisters from a family, not their sisters but 3 women who were sisters
Yeah my Dad's sister and cousin married a pair of brothers. So my cousins had cousins who they were cousins of some sort with on both sides of their family.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My son told me about a situation today where technology sucks in education. He got a set of testing back and he did poorly on it. He's usually a pretty high scorer so when I say he did poorly, for him it's being in the 80area percentile for stuff. He told me he was told to go slow and do what you can, he told me he did but couldn't finish any section. I told him I would blast through and do the easy stuff I knew and come back and keep picking stuff off until I finished. He mentioned that the computers now don't allow that and you have to answer the current question to get to the next. So, if you get hung up on one or two questions in a row, it can basically tank your scores.

The other issue comes up, that if they do poorer than the school expects, they get placed into "intervention", which means you get study hall time immediately after lunch instead of the free 20-30 minutes they have, for the quarter or semester. He had to leave quickly though since he got a free breakfast from the school for having a 4.0 for the semester. Get a 4.0 and possibly have to get punished since you did poorly on one test; makes a lot of freaking sense. I am hating this, this one test matters 99% type system. Thankfully I am on the last one going through and can be done with it soon.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
One OCD hang up I have is that anytime I use butter, peanut butter, frosting, even last night making pizza and putting sauce on the dough; I have a huge issue that I need to smooth it out the best I can with what I'm doing. The pizza sauce needed to be as smooth and even as I could get it, I calmed that by adding toppings, but I made myself try to equalize the toppings on the pizza as much as possible.

I just made myself a sandwich and with the tub of butter (I don't use butter very often) I had to scrape the butter that I needed to even out as much as possible. I want the top of the container to be level and smooth. It's not but I feel I have done the best I can with what I started with. Toothpaste, my wife just randomly squeezing and I got nuts about it, I have to get it so the bottom is empty as far as possible. I will eat my sandwich, by pulling the crust off and eating that, then I will take bites to keep it as square or rectangular as possible. Not complaining since these are just little quirks and I don't obsess over them majorly and I know others that can lose their minds over it. Just stupid little things I do.

Reactions: SCyclone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
One OCD hang up I have is that anytime I use butter, peanut butter, frosting, even last night making pizza and putting sauce on the dough; I have a huge issue that I need to smooth it out the best I can with what I'm doing. The pizza sauce needed to be as smooth and even as I could get it, I calmed that by adding toppings, but I made myself try to equalize the toppings on the pizza as much as possible.

I just made myself a sandwich and with the tub of butter (I don't use butter very often) I had to scrape the butter that I needed to even out as much as possible. I want the top of the container to be level and smooth. It's not but I feel I have done the best I can with what I started with. Toothpaste, my wife just randomly squeezing and I got nuts about it, I have to get it so the bottom is empty as far as possible. I will eat my sandwich, by pulling the crust off and eating that, then I will take bites to keep it as square or rectangular as possible. Not complaining since these are just little quirks and I don't obsess over them majorly and I know others that can lose their minds over it. Just stupid little things I do.
I can relate. And you are probably OCPD, like me. There’s a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.