Will McDonald NFL Draft Prospect

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
  • Iowa State EDGE Will McDonald IV has made himself some money this week. The edge rusher showed off his versatility on both days, and today flashed his prowess as a pass rusher. Against Tennessee RT Darnell Wright, McDonald beat Wright to the outside with speed, and then on the next rep, spun back to the inside for another quick win. McDonald also used the spin move to his advantage in team drills. He’s got great bend and has shown versatility, things scouts love. He’s had an amazing week.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
I'm pretty sure scouts are going to see what we saw and he'll be drafted fairly high. Realy I think the only thing keeping him from round 1 is his weight, but as an OLB I don't think it's as big a deal.

He played DE on a 3 man front for us this year after Uwazurike left so it kind of capped his potential from a sack numbers perspective.

Might not go round 1 (lord I wish he would both for him and so we can get the monkey off ISU's back) but I don't see him falling below low round 2. Good edge rushers are just waaaaay too valuable in today's NFL.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm pretty sure scouts are going to see what we saw and he'll be drafted fairly high. Realy I think the only thing keeping him from round 1 is his weight, but as an OLB I don't think it's as big a deal.

He played DE on a 3 man front for us this year after Uwazurike left so it kind of capped his potential from a sack numbers perspective.

Might not go round 1 (lord I wish he would both for him and so we can get the monkey off ISU's back) but I don't see him falling below low round 2. Good edge rushers are just waaaaay too valuable in today's NFL.

I think he'll put on plenty of good weight once he is on a NFL plan

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
Having only paid attention to Will McDonald highlights and my lack of familiarity with SEC/Tennessee Football, I didn't know anything about Darnell Wright and obviously only saw him get beat repeatedly, only to to find him in the player who impressed list above, ALL-SEC, and a potential 1st round pick. It sounds like Will might be the only one consistently beating him.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Obviously Will helped himself this week. I still think he is a day 2 pick, but I wouldn't be shocked if someone takes a chance on him late first round hoping to find the next Micah Parsons. He definitely plays the right position for someone to take a chance on him.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
So question for you, why isn’t the ISU plan an NFL plan or very similar? I guess I don’t know what goes into a college diet plan

I mean in the NFL players have more time, resources and $ to use towards getting their bodies in optimal shape.

College diet plan is limited to what you are provided unless you can afford to buy extra stuff on your own.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Will is going to THRIVE when he's not double teamed on every snap. There isn't many NFL tackles who can deal with his speed on the edge.

Pittsburg with TJ Watt would be a DREAM destination for Will. I can't think of a better system for him to get to learn and develop than Tomlin's 3-4
With how good QB's are getting, teams need to stock up on pass rushers. You almost want 2 studs out there every down to help out your coverage.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Reactions: GMackey32

CT clone

Aug 10, 2020
I think he'll put on plenty of good weight once he is on a NFL plan
I don’t think weight is an issue. His special qualities are his quick twitch and his length (6’10” wingspan) and his production on a 3 man front in a premier conference. If he can run in the 4.5’s at the combine, he could very well be considered in Day 1 as he has a similar story to Haason Reddick who had a great Senior Bowl and combine and went up to being a first round pick. Will is currently a little bigger than him. And since Reddick has 19.5 sacks this year including playoffs, if I’m his agent that is who I am comparing him to for NFL Scouts. Parsons ran a freaky 4.36 in his 40 but Reddick, Von Miller, and Demarcus Ware were all similar size and ran in the 4.5 range and had similar college production.

Last edited: