2022/23 Coaching Staff Changes

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
You don’t think NS would make a good QB coach?
Oh I don't doubt that he would be a good QB coach. Except what you said was move him from OC to QB coach. Although I doubt that is what you meant, either way I dont think its the best idea.

Second. Beyond playing QB he has never coached that position, being all his experience has been in RB and WR coaching and coordinating. And in the long run, where are our strengths, and wear do we need change, do we change him to something totally different from what he has been coaching when the RB and WR positions have been some of our strongest positions since he has coached them.

I would say there is a slight possibility that he changes his secondary duties from WRs back to RBs or very slight possibility to QBs but then I would think that change may have already been made when they announced his promotion.

I guess looking at everything there is a chance they make him the OC/RB coach and Waters the WR coach, and Kempt the QB coach. Based on their experience. But I guess at this point it whatever CMC thinks is best, and we wont know until its released for sure.

But if your initial notion was to move him from OC to QBs that is not going to happen.

Reactions: c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Oh I don't doubt that he would be a good QB coach. Except what you said was move him from OC to QB coach. Although I doubt that is what you meant, either way I dont think its the best idea.

Second. Beyond playing QB he has never coached that position, being all his experience has been in RB and WR coaching and coordinating. And in the long run, where are our strengths, and wear do we need change, do we change him to something totally different from what he has been coaching when the RB and WR positions have been some of our strongest positions since he has coached them.

I would say there is a slight possibility that he changes his secondary duties from WRs back to RBs or very slight possibility to QBs but then I would think that change may have already been made when they announced his promotion.

I guess looking at everything there is a chance they make him the OC/RB coach and Waters the WR coach, and Kempt the QB coach. Based on their experience. But I guess at this point it whatever CMC thinks is best, and we wont know until its released for sure.

But if your initial notion was to move him from OC to QBs that is not going to happen.
WR's have been a strength? I like Nate, but we typically have one good receiver a year. We haven't seen anyone really develop at the position either.

He also didn't coach RB's long enough to really say how they did. He walked into a room with an All-American and this year we were not good at the position. However, that could partially be related to the line.

I would much rather see someone coach a position they played in college and excelled at. Or coach the position opposite of it as they know what the position is looking for.

Regardless, excited to have him move up to OC.

Reactions: CyBobby

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
You don’t think NS would make a good QB coach?
That's not the question. I think it has already been announced he is OC & WR. I am sure there are reasons for that structure.

Also makes sense to have a dedicated QB coach so that person can maximize his time with Qb's. Having 2 QB's (Scheelhaase & Kempf) developing our QB room sounds like a great approach.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and 2speedy1

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street

I could be wrong, but I don’t think he meant “move Scheelhouse from OC to QB coach and drop him being the OC” what I took his response as is “move your OC who’s currently coaching WRs, to him (still being the OC) coaching QBs”

Also, even thought Scheelhouse was “RB/WR coach” last year, he mostly coached the WRs and Manning coached the RBs

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
WR's have been a strength? I like Nate, but we typically have one good receiver a year. We haven't seen anyone really develop at the position either.

He also didn't coach RB's long enough to really say how they did. He walked into a room with an All-American and this year we were not good at the position. However, that could partially be related to the line.

I would much rather see someone coach a position they played in college and excelled at. Or coach the position opposite of it as they know what the position is looking for.

Regardless, excited to have him move up to OC.
If the Offensive Line doesn't get better it doesn't matter who the Off Coordinator is or what play he calls....
The new Off Line Coach has his job cut out for him...but I think that he will be a vast improvement over this years Offensive Line Coach!

....and remember GO CYCLONES!!

TJS

Mar 28, 2019
People realize that Jake Waters is All-Big 12 Kansas State QB Jake Waters. I think if it is him or Kempt who is promoted to QB coach (& the other to possibly RB coach or someone else), I think Iowa State is going to be just fine whoever ends up being our QB whisperer.

Last edited:
Reactions: CY74 and bozclone

CyPack

Apr 19, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
People realize that Jake Waters is All-Big 12 Kansas State QB Jake Waters. I think if it is him or Kempt who is promoted to QB coach (& the other to possibly RB coach or someone else), I think Iowa State is going to be just fine whoever ends up being our QB whisperer.
Although a QB, Waters was more of a runner and a pretty good one at KSU so I could see him moved to RB coach and Kempt to QB coach. I think that would fill out the staff nicely moving forward and would keep continuity.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
It didn't get talked about that much, but I was not impressed either with the RBs after Brock got hurt. That was our strength I thought. The line sucked, I get it. But when there were holes, didn't see a burst. Plus, there were cutback lanes that rarely got utilized. Let's hope it all changes with new line coach and OC.

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 18, 2007
ROBBY DISCHER (Hope he is the answer for the Special Team Coach...won't know until after January 2nd if he is)

Aduhbolu15

Feb 28, 2021
North Texas: Iowa State assistant director for player personnel Colby Kratch will be UNT's new linebackers coach, source tells FootballScoop.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Waters threw for 3,500 yards and over 65% completion % his senor year and was there under skeletor where he got to work with a very good offensive mind. I think moving Waters into the QB coach would be a better option in my opinion but we will see what happens.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
The only difference in ISU versus Purple Kansas' season is a competent o-line and kicking game.

ISU - 13/23
KSU - 18/23

K-state rushing yards per attempt - 5.1
Iowa St rushing yards per attempt - 3.3

Adding 5 more made field goals likely gets you 4 more wins (KU, KSU, UT, and Tech) and into the CCG.

Reactions: khardbored

Hammerschlagen

Feb 23, 2022
I could be wrong, but I don’t think he meant “move Scheelhouse from OC to QB coach and drop him being the OC” what I took his response as is “move your OC who’s currently coaching WRs, to him (still being the OC) coaching QBs”

Also, even thought Scheelhouse was “RB/WR coach” last year, he mostly coached the WRs and Manning coached the RBs
That is what I meant and the OC and QB are usually attached at the hip. Having the OC also coach QBs makes sense. It doesn’t always have to be that way but when you have a guy like NS it just makes sense in my opinion.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
I wouldn’t be surprised if Campbell gave Nate the choice of which position group he wants to coach since he’s the OC. I think he likes coaching WR.

Reactions: khardbored

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
It didn't get talked about that much, but I was not impressed either with the RBs after Brock got hurt. That was our strength I thought. The line sucked, I get it. But when there were holes, didn't see a burst. Plus, there were cutback lanes that rarely got utilized. Let's hope it all changes with new line coach and OC.
Our RB room was decimated by injuries this year. Our top 2 had significant injuries. Norton in the first game and likely nagging a bit all year. Brock got hurt the first play of Kansas and never fully recovered before breaking his ankle or whatever.

Sanders and Silas are both good change of pace backups but we were forced to rely on them to much.

This is also all after losing what would have likely been the rookie of the year if he didn’t tear his ACL. There is only so much quality depth you can have. The injuries were bad enough but they also came on what should have been a rougher year for the RB room anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
Our RB room was decimated by injuries this year. Our top 2 had significant injuries. Norton in the first game and likely nagging a bit all year. Brock got hurt the first play of Kansas and never fully recovered before breaking his ankle or whatever.

Sanders and Silas are both good change of pace backups but we were forced to rely on them to much.

This is also all after losing what would have likely been the rookie of the year if he didn’t tear his ACL. There is only so much quality depth you can have. The injuries were bad enough but they also came on what should have been a rougher year for the RB room

Don't disagree but who would have been rookie of the year had he not torn his ACL.