Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer TV Show - Not Allowed to Stream ??

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I recall this from last winter as well but does anyone know why Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer classic show not allowed to be viewed on YouTube TV (and I assume other streaming services)? When tuning in last night all that appeared on the screen was something like "not available to be streamed". I don't think I have seen any other shows that are "blacked-out" like that due to streaming rights? Anyone else see this happen for any other show?

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I recall this from last winter as well but does anyone know why Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer classic show not allowed to be viewed on YouTube TV (and I assume other streaming services)? When tuning in last night all that appeared on the screen was something like "not available to be streamed". I don't think I have seen any other shows that are "blacked-out" like that due to streaming rights? Anyone else see this happen for any other show?
Everything that I've read and tried to find out about this is that they don't allow the rights to be streamed over the internet and if you stream live TV- that's technically "over the internet"

Been an issue for us the last 3 years we've had YTTV. I had to go out and buy the blue ray DVD b/c my wife must watch it at least once during the christmas season.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Everything that I've read and tried to find out about this is that they don't allow the rights to be streamed over the internet and if you stream live TV- that's technically "over the internet"

Been an issue for us the last 3 years we've had YTTV. I had to go out and buy the blue ray DVD b/c my wife must watch it at least once during the christmas season.

I bought it thru Amazon a few years ago...so we stream it that way but I don't recall it being an issue with any other show that I have wanted to watch. I will admit...I love the Rudolph show!

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I bought it thru Amazon a few years ago...so we stream it that way but I don't recall it being an issue with any other show that I have wanted to watch. I will admit...I love the Rudolph show!
Yeah- my father in law will call my wife just to tell her it's on- he did this last night lol.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and cyfanatic

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
I will forever love this little film. It takes me back when I was very young and would lay on the floor with my siblings and watch this with such enthusiasm. It wasn't Christmas season without this. I miss those day's, from time to time.

Anyways, it's easy to find...

Use the You Tube app on your smart tv and you're set!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The reason has to do with digital distribution rights: While CBS has the right to broadcast the film over-the-air, on cable and on satellite, the digital distribution rights are held by the Walt Disney Company for its cable channel, Freeform. That means customers of popular streaming cable alternatives like Sling TV, Vidgo and Fubo TV will have to wait until December to watch the classic holiday film when it airs on Freeform.

https://thedesk.net/2022/11/stream-rudolph-cbs-youtube-sling-tv-hulu-fubo-tv-paramount-plus-2022/

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I will forever love this little film. It takes me back when I was very young and would lay on the floor with my siblings and watch this with such enthusiasm. It wasn't Christmas season without this. I miss those day's, from time to time.

Anyways, it's easy to find...

Use the You Tube app on your smart tv and you're set!

I never even thought of this!

Reactions: cyfanatic

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I always loved this as a kid, but my children have zero interest when I try to get them to watch it. Every now and then I pull out the Donner line "No! This is man's work!" on my wife. She just rolls her eyes and tells me to get bent.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I always loved this as a kid, but my children have zero interest when I try to get them to watch it. Every now and then I pull out the Donner line "No! This is man's work!" on my wife. She just rolls her eyes and tells me to get bent.
"Back in the day" these types of shows were a big deal...like a "special event" (we only had three channels, lol). I can remember when the commercial announced it and we got excited to watch it.

Same with Wizard of Oz when it was on TV.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
"Back in the day" these types of shows were a big deal...like a "special event" (we only had three channels, lol). I can remember when the commercial announced it and we got excited to watch it.

Same with Wizard of Oz when it was on TV.
Ah, appointment television. Brings back memories. Now, outside of live sports, almost all my TV is consumed on my schedule, not theirs.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I know it is part of the story...but there really is a lot of bullying in that show...even Santa comes off as a bit of a jerk!
Santa a jerk? What do you mean?

Rudolph: [realizing everyone is making fun of him] Stop calling me names!
Fireball: Hey everyone look it's Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer!
[everyone laughs]
Santa Claus: [infuriated with this ridicules Donner] Donner you should be ashamed of yourself!
[Donner lowers his head]
Santa Claus: What a pity and he had a great takeoff as well!
[walks away disgruntled]

Santa Claus: [after "We are Santa's Elves"] Well, it needs work.

Santa Claus: Great bouncing icebergs!
Donner: Yeah, I'm sure it'll stop as soon as he grows up, Santa.
Santa Claus: Well, let's hope so, if he wants to make the sleigh team someday.

Some other great bullying moments:

Head Elf: [to the other elves] Hermey doesn't like to make toys!
Elves: [whispering to each other, then chorusing to Hermey in unison] Hermey doesn't like to make toys. Hermey doesn't like to make toys. Hermey doesn't like to make toys. Shame on you!

Donner: There are more important things than comfort: self respect! Santa can't object to you now.

Head Elf: You'll *never* fit in!

Comet the Coach: Oh no, not you. You'd better go home with your folks. From now on, gang, we won't let Rudolph join in any reindeer games. Right?
[the others reply with scattered replies of "Right!"]

Head Elf: [after the song concludes] That sounded terrible!

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I think Frosty was also “not available for streaming”.

• Angry
Reactions: cyfanatic

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
A Christmas tradition in our home.

It isn't the holiday season until I tell the Mrs. "No. This is man's work"

I love to drop this quote on the wife as well. But I don't limit it to the holiday season, it is fair game here year round!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron