Should Randy Peterson retire?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Put him to pasture?

• Yes!

Votes: 459 85.5%
  • No!

Votes: 48 8.9%
  • Who?

Votes: 30 5.6%

• Total voters

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I used to be one of those types of fans to criticize Randy, but then I've realized that's just kind of dumb.

The local beat reporter isn't trying to win a Pulitzer - they're trying to ask relevant questions, get some good quotes, and cover the team. You can't burn bridges by being a jerk.

Journalism is such a tough career, those that are sticking it out have my respect. Randy is an institution - I'm sure if I did 8,000 press conferences and they were all recorded I would've had my fair share of dumb questions too.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I used to be one of those types of fans to criticize Randy, but then I've realized that's just kind of dumb.

The local beat reporter isn't trying to win a Pulitzer - they're trying to ask relevant questions, get some good quotes, and cover the team. You can't burn bridges by being a jerk.

Journalism is such a tough career, those that are sticking it out have my respect. Randy is an institution - I'm sure if I did 8,000 press conferences and they were all recorded I would've had my fair share of dumb questions too.
Would you have asked President Wintersteen/Chief of DPS during the bandgate presser if Iowa State had safety issues because a bball tailgate tent burned down from a student's space heater?

Reactions: CapnCy

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Every time this thread pops up, I think "What dumb question did Randy ask this time?"

Also, it is sad that Randy always gets to ask the first question at every press conference. Why does he get preferential treatment over other journalists attending the press conference?

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
lol what? why would CMC think the whole world is against ISU? Bizarre...
It was tough to hear, but did he follow it up by asking if the whole Big 12 was against us? If so, then "yes", Randy, the whole Big 12 is against us. That's kind of how it works.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Every time this thread pops up, I think "What dumb question did Randy ask this time?"

Also, it is sad that Randy always gets to ask the first question at every press conference. Why does he get preferential treatment over other journalists attending the press conference?
I think it's because he is always the first to the press conference room. He sprints (at Randy Peterson speed) after the game to get there. It's part of the reason why he was "assaulted" during the court storm and broke his leg. He was in a hurry to get to the press conference room and tripped over himself.

• Informative
Reactions: ScottyP

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I just don’t think that’s true at all lol. OU and Texas don’t care. Baylor definitely doesn’t.
They all still get extra money from it.

I mean CMC treated it like a question on officiating and reviews as far as I can tell.

HarryClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2021

Pretty sure it’s just a nod to his tenure as the beat reporter at the state’s biggest paper. Lifetime achievement award of sorts

Tom Buch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020

Randy’s articles are very good and his questions are good. Keep him off the radio and podcasts for god’s sake. He is a journalism, not an on air contributor.

• Haha
Reactions: mynameisjonas

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Hines is very good,in my opinion.

Every article from Hines starts off something like this:

“In the middle of the desolate and barren Iowa landscape there is a historic building where Iowa State plays basketball (where if you ask anyone could really use a facelift). As <insert any minor issue unrelated to the basketball team> unfolds, the ISU men’s team dream of bigger and better things like the Twin Cities and count their days as they ride out their time in Ames hoping and waiting for a brighter future.”

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Hines is very good,in my opinion.

laugh-mock.gif