Votes: 459 85.5%
  • No!

Votes: 48 8.9%
  • Who?

Votes: 30 5.6%

• Total voters

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I think I said this upthread or in a different one. What you said is absolutely true and people in Iowa largely know he's a buffoon. But the problem is that he will do interviews for media outlets of other teams. For example, an Okie St site or paper will call him and do an interview on one of their podcasts looking for the Iowa State angle. In this scenario, he is kind of representing us to other fan bases and he sounds absolutely ridiculous in these interviews. Like calling us Iowa or even the Hawkeyes, sounding super awkward like he might have some form of dementia and babbling on about nothing or stuff that isn't even accurate about the team. This is what is so stupid about having him employed and covering us, in my opinion. He makes Iowa State looks horrible.
This isn't dementia, it's a complete lack of a **** to give about the team he's covering. It's being in over your head in a field you've worked in for decades. It's brazen incompetence on public display.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I took issue with one of his observations on twitter a while back, and he tried to mansplain it to me. Haven't read anything of his in the rag for years. His press conference questions are (or should be) embarrassing for his bosses.
We all know better than to mansplain to you KC, gotta monkeysplain instead. ;)

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NWICY and DurangoCy

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
30 no votes so far? Wow, I wouldn't have guessed Randy had that many family members posting on CF.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Petersen is wholly irrelevant to how I receive my sporting news. That makes him the Register's problem, not mine.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I want to know the answer to the following question and assume Randy is the only one that would ask it. Maybe he has.

"When in a situation where the offense needs one yard for a first down or touchdown, have you considered lining up under center for a QB sneak?"

• Winner
Reactions: CycloneWarrior

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Nothing can ever top Randy asking Matt Campbell if he had a beer before his Iowa State/Toledo game in the tailgate lots.

I’m neither a journalist nor his age, but my understanding is that, especially before press conferences were recorded and televised, questions like that were a lot more common. Reporter has story pre-write and just needs some quotes to fill in the gaps. The Rag’s insistence on making him do radio is baffling, though.

I remember a lot of posters being happy when Keeler was cut loose. I thought it was a bad call at the time, and it has only gotten worse.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Hilton should have the nickname “The Murder House”.
Pemsl, Randy and Mitchell Solomon.

the-night-in-sports-feb-29-513161424_masterjpg.jpg

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I don't live in Iowa. I don't read the Rag. Never have. But the presence Randy (and, to a lesser extent, Travis) has on Twitter is downright embarrassing. In the year 2022 we may be better off if the Rag stopped covering ISU sports all together if that tag-team is the best effort they're willing to put forward.

Don't even get me started on their podcasts.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don't live in Iowa. I don't read the Rag. Never have. But the presence Randy (and, to a lesser extent, Travis) has on Twitter is downright embarrassing. In the year 2022 we may be better off if the Rag stopped covering ISU sports all together if that tag-team is the best effort they're willing to put forward.

Don't even get me started on their podcasts.
Randy has a podcast?!?!?!!?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
It's technically put on by the Rag: "Cyclone Insider."

It's bad. I knew Randy was Randy, but listening to this when I was desperate for more Cyclone content in the 2021 offseason really opened my eyes to how Travis isn't much better.
Travis always comes across like there are 1000 things he’d rather be doing. Maybe that’s just his general demeanor.

• Agree
Reactions: Tpups21

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Travis always comes across like there are 1000 things he’d rather be doing. Maybe that’s just his general demeanor.
Completely Agree. He cares about his writing and I think he's just trying to use this as a jump to another spot, but idk why he's still around if that's the case. It seems he has a "i'm better than this" demeanor about him, which makes a lot of his stuff fall flat with the fanbase. His effort on Social Media also doesn't help him any either.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Bad is an understatement. I can’t even describe it.
I think I saw one of those like 6 or 7 years ago, maybe during the CPR years. I forgot that was a thing and am kind of surprised they still do that. Good thing Randy is easy on the eyes otherwise it would be unwatchable.

Tpups21

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
It's technically put on by the Rag: "Cyclone Insider."

It's bad. I knew Randy was Randy, but listening to this when I was desperate for more Cyclone content in the 2021 offseason really opened my eyes to how Travis isn't much better.
Agree. Hines isn’t any better than Randy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron