What changes do you hope we see next year

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What changes need to be made next year?

• Tom Manning Fired

• Tom Manning Demoted

• Joel Gordon Fired(QB Coach)

• Jeff Meyers Fired(OL Coach)

• Special Teams Coordinator Hired

• Jake Waters Fired(Quality Control of Offense Coach/Analyst)

• Hunter Dekkers Benched

• Transfer Portal skill position player upgrades (QB,TE,WR,RB)

• Transfer Portal OL brought in

• Something I didn't mention(Please share below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Spam

May 21, 2008
No, because fans like like you guys who jump ship after one bad year. We all knew this was a rebuilding year. There are a lot of guys playing for the first time this year and a lot of freshman and sophomores playing

Unfortunately not much rebuilding happened in the rebuilding year. Next year is a re-rebuilding year.

fnclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2010
No, because fans like like you guys who jump ship after one bad year. We all knew this was a rebuilding year. There are a lot of guys playing for the first time this year and a lot of freshman and sophomores playing
This is year 7 of a bad oline...last year was not good, and the program is on a downward trend after one outlier season with a home loss to Louisiana.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Hit the transfer portal hard for every offensive position. I think Norton will be a solid back and Sanders and J Brock will be a solid running back Corps. Offensive line and receivers will need to get some guys in the portal. I like Dekkers and don’t think he has got a fair shake with this line and it being his first year as a starter.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
Manning needs to go back to the OL but if he isn't willing to take the demotion and pay cut I understand. Meyers need to go to FCS level and maybe he'll work his way back up as taking over the OL group for a young first time position coach it's simply too much too soon.

Perhaps Alex Golesh was a leaving was a missed opportunity to promote to OC.

The next coach or two need to fit the culture for sure but Campbell needs to evolve to know what helped build the program to it's current level and expectations needs to change in order to take the next set. Bowl eligibility expections every season has been established. Now it's time to evolve for that next step which is 8 wins as a floor. Hopefully Campbell can figure it out!

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
OL could use a transfer or two, WR corps...needs a Veteran. They need to progress next season and develop past those drops. OL... hopefully a new coach with experience will be most of what that group needs.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
A lot of people need to see the same thing repeatedly for years before they may change their minds. How many do you think would be content with 2-10, 3-9 or even no wins so long as it’s close? Even after such a performance how many would continue to say, “But back in 2020!”
I don't think anyone is happy with where our offense and special teams are right now.

But after 6 straight bowl games, Matt Campbell suddenly didn't become a bad head coach. Maybe he was loyal to a fault in not seeing position coaching issues. But ISU's offense averaged around 30ppg the last 4-5 years.

If you look at the 2021 season, I could easily point to our defense being the reason for a disappointing season- losses at TT & WVU.

Campbell has earned a long leash based on the culture he has built at ISU AND his winning from 2017-2021.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
I don't think anyone is happy with where our offense and special teams are right now.

But after 6 straight bowl games, Matt Campbell suddenly didn't become a bad head coach. Maybe he was loyal to a fault in not seeing position coaching issues. But ISU's offense averaged around 30ppg the last 4-5 years.

If you look at the 2021 season, I could easily point to our defense being the reason for a disappointing season- losses at TT & WVU.

Campbell has earned a long leash based on the culture he has built at ISU AND his winning from 2017-2021.
I’d love to see that guy from 2017 again.

fnclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2010
It’s already been stated that the OL has been horrible and Myers is being let go after the season.

A downward trend? How long have you been an ISU fan for?
Started going to games in the late 80's...haven't stopped....last years team should have been heavy foreshadowing for this year...the hype train in Ames has been shut down every year. I still remember the pregame hype before that Louisiana game...they were a good team, but no way that should have been a loss. Last year was a disaster with the talent on the field, and this year speaks for itself...it is a downward trend, doesn't matter if you accept it or not.

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
If anything this would be like if Coach Otz kept building better talent that can score but he never opens up the offense and just demands hammering defense. From what we've seen of Otz at different stops, we could see the defense trail off but remain strong while he lets the offense evolve as talent improves and becomes more prominent.

That's what the football offense needs to do, transform from being the ball control, limited plays and drives where a turnover can be disastrous. Iowa State doesn't need a Top 25 offense (but would be awesome, lol) but an offense in the Top half of college football that's paired with defense.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver

Its becoming clear to me that if we want to return to anything like the 2020 Fiesta Bowl winners - some tough calls need to be made, and some friends need to be fired

- Offensive scheme is way too predicable, play calling is subpar. Tom needs to go
- The offensive line looks unmoitvated, undisciplined, and apathetic - Meyers needs to go. I don't like to harp on individuals but like man, Darrell Simmons and Trevor Downing act like they don't want to play almost. That sucks.

I would love it if Campbell went after a complete outsider. The Tulane or Coastal Carolina OC, or the best OC out of the mountain west or MAC. Time to get creative and adapt.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I’m perfectly in line with the voting public. I selected two categories and they’re the two highest vote getters, new OL Coach and portal OL. It all starts in the trenches and our OL has been ABYSMAL. On one of our fourth and goal failures yesterday the TT DL pancaked our RG Darrell Simmons (#55), on his back in the backfield. What does the coach say when they review that film on Monday? “Darrell, you didn’t properly execute on that block, but you’re a wonderful human and will contribute to society when you leave here, so keep up the great work!” False starts, get zero push and are a sieve in passing situations - trifecta of terrible!

Reactions: Cloneman89

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Here are changes I would like to see:

- Hire a new OL coach. Maybe Manning could become OL coach. But not sure it's possible to demote him from OC and still create a significant roll for him. I am assuming it would be difficult to cut his pay.

- Hire a new OC. Could Scheelhaus be an internal candidate? Whoever ISU hires needs to be committed to a balanced run/pass offense.

- This isn't a criticism of Scheelhaus as a coach, but I don't like the idea of one coach being position coach for WR & RB.

- Not a fan of hiring a special teams coach. But we need a coach who is accountable for special teams. Could Mauser or Broomfield take on that responsibility in addition to their position responsibility.

- Whatever happens with special teams coach, we need to be able to develop FG kickers. Our kickers struggle making solid and consistent contact. Pretty obvious by seeing ball rotation.

- Overall our defense has been great. But we need to look for ways to evolve. IMO that means finding ways to get more pressure on opposing QB's and create interceptions & sacks.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Here are changes I would like to see:

- Hire a new OL coach. Maybe Manning could become OL coach. But not sure it's possible to demote him from OC and still create a significant roll for him. I am assuming it would be difficult to cut his pay.

- Hire a new OC. Could Scheelhaus be an internal candidate? Whoever ISU hires needs to be committed to a balanced run/pass offense.

- This isn't a criticism of Scheelhaus as a coach, but I don't like the idea of one coach being position coach for WR & RB.

- Not a fan of hiring a special teams coach. But we need a coach who is accountable for special teams. Could Mauser or Broomfield take on that responsibility in addition to their position responsibility.

- Whatever happens with special teams coach, we need to be able to develop FG kickers. Our kickers struggle making solid and consistent contact. Pretty obvious by seeing ball rotation.

- Overall our defense has been great. But we need to look for ways to evolve. IMO that means finding ways to get more pressure on opposing QB's and create interceptions & sacks.
I'm actually off the Scheelhaase bandwagon for OC.

Why? I feel like he will feel the need to call plays like Manning did, use worthless motion like Manning did, and do the ball control style crap with a weak O-line like he poorly did.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
If next season is similar it's at least time to start the chatter.

Basic execution in a handful of these games and we're looking at 7 wins right now. Oddly that would have masked some real issues still but wins are wins are wins.

Campbell says it’s not about wins. I on the other hand don’t care about anything other than wins. I don’t care if we win 10-7. As long as we win.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I’d love to see that guy from 2017 again.
I agree. It seems like we have lost some of that hunger that Campbell's earlier teams had.

Having a solid running game needs to be an integral part of any ISU offense. I think it helps having a strong defense.

But ISU's offense the last couple years has fallen in love with horizontal and short passes. We might have the WORST YAC of any team I have seen this year.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
First fire the Oline coach (and possibly the S&C coach). Then have a booster buy a first or second round lineman with NIL if they can. That will make HS kids think that we get Olineman drafted. HS kids don’t think those things through, they see a highly drafted player and believe it’s due to the team.

I can't wait for CWs tell all book (maybe a chapter from Blum) as I would really like to know truly what types of "boosters" we have and their interactions with the programs.

We hear stories of other schools covering mega buyouts and such...but we also hear our donors are in the bottom of the Big 12, etc.

So do we as fans just say these things at ISU or do we have donors that FB/JP could say "if we had $500k, we could get a couple top end lineman" and would our donors be like "sure"?

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Campbell says it’s not about wins. I on the other hand don’t care about anything other than wins. I don’t care if we win 10-7. As long as we win.
It is about the wins, but I don’t want to be 1990’s Nebraska with Lawrence Phillips dragging women down steps and Tyrone X participating in drive-by shootings. Extreme comparison but you get my gist…