Random Thread of Photography

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
OMG. How have I not seen this thread before. There are some amazing photographs. Thanks all!!!

Needs a bump now and than and some new images to keep it from getting totally lost.

Been a slow photo summer for me so didn't have much to "bump" the thread with.

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Needs a bump now and than and some new images to keep it from getting totally lost.

Been a slow photo summer for me so didn't have much to "bump" the thread with.
I have 28 pages to go through! I cant wait. :)

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Winter, so slow times but I have been seeing the resident breeding pair of Great Horned Owls in Theo Wirth Park. Hadn't seen them in a while but last month they were hooting up a storm in a mating duet. He's the male giving me the evil eye. I left them along to the hooting just after this. Not the sharpest image (IS0-4500) but liked his "look" and the setting.

DSC_7170 theo wirth GHO sharpen 7 lightened CF.jpg

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Winter, so slow times but I have been seeing the resdeint breeding pair of Great Horned Owls in Theo Wirth Park. Hadn't seen them in a while but last month they were hooting up storm in a mating duet. He's the male giving me the evil eye. I left them along to the hooting just after this. Not the sharpest image (IS0-4500) but liked his "look" and the setting.

View attachment 109192
I had to chase one of those away while mowing. It was hiding and I was about 4 foot from it when I noticed it. They can get big.

• Wow
Reactions: Kinch

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Spied what I called a Mexican Pileated Woodpecker while walkabout down Mexico way. Turns out it's actually a closely related Lineated Woodpecker. Towards dusk and meter got fooled by the high contrast and all but this one shot were underexposed garbage. All white birds and mostly black birds at dusk or on water can be a problem, at least for me. If I have time I sneak a peak and can adjust, other times I get home and am disappointed. Anyway, this came out, love her hairstyle.

DSC_7525 lineated WP female lighter cropped CF scale.jpg

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Lots of warblers in SE Iowa now.

Saw my first yesterday in Theo Wirth Park, just a Yellow-rumped Warbler. Not super serious me calls them Yellow-Booties. Going to have to shift from a winter of shooting owls to chasing the little guys. Typical outing is downloading 200 or more images and deleting most as garage. I keep a few as POS images. Not the usual internet abbreviation for piece of "crap, but Proof of Sighting. Difficult to get close enough, even with 500mm and they are in perpetual motion. Maybe only thing harder is little kinglets, those guys are hyperkinetic.

I have several "nemesis" birds I have a hard time finding and getting a decent shot of. Belted Kingfisher, Sandhill Crane, American Bittern and Osprey top the list.

Reactions: Kinch