On to Kansas Week Thread

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
Runnings qbs give me nightmares because I haven't seen us contain/stop one.
Kyler Murray is still the gold standard in my mind for how you beat the Heacock defense. Seemed like ISU was always in position and it didn't matter, he'd either skip away from pressure or toss the ball perfectly into a gap.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

troutslayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2011
ISU's defense is superior to Kansas' in every category, and overall we have more weapons on offense. Daniels is going to do his thing, but so is our offense. Clones win 35-27

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Kyler Murray is still the gold standard in my mind for how you beat the Heacock defense. Seemed like ISU was always in position and it didn't matter, he'd either skip away from pressure or toss the ball perfectly into a gap.
Haha, having the Heisman winner and an NFL QB that's doing the same thing to NFL defenses? Yeah, that's definitely one way to do it.

Kidding of course, he was so clearly the best player on the field that day. There was nothing we could do.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

True, but he was also a DUDE. He's doing the same sh!t in the NFL now isn't he?

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
If you listen/watch the latest podcast from the 2 Chris' on Iowa Everywhere, Hassel said that the Big 12 basically has lower tiered refs because they don't have the $$ that the Big 10 or the SEC has to compensate them. And he wasn't saying that because he's an Iowa fan. That crap goes out the window when he's on the podcasts. I really enjoy listening to those two

Bruns said the same thing on the Sunday pod

Not surprising. :(

Still, if the Big XII has enough money for schools to pay coaches millions, you would think they could come up with enough money to hire full-time refs. Or maybe some agreement with other conferences to all chip in and get full-time refs.

IowaState88

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2022
My take on the Baylor game and how it impacts this week vs KU and ROS.

Gonna avoid talking about the BS penalties bc we all aware of how horrible they were and how large of an impact they had on each of the drives.

- First off, Baylor is a top 15 maybe even top 10 team in the nation and they certainly played like one last week vs ISU. They made no mistakes and took advantage of the calls they got and the situations they were in. Aranda is really good and Grimes is a high level offensive mind. They will be tough to beat especially if their QB/OL/DL can continue to play the way they did Saturday.

- Losing B. Freyler on the 3rd play of the game hurt more than I think a lot of people realize. He is one of if not the most important guy on the Cyclones defense - especially vs a run heavy/power team like Baylor. His ability to stop the run from his safety position is unmatched, and he can cover too. After he was ejected, Baylor continuously went at the middle of the field and in particular at Freylers backup - Mason Chambers - who really really struggled. To the point where he was benched in the 4th Qtr. Chambers was poor in coverage and found himself out of position numerous times. It truly was unfortunate that Freyler was tossed, because due to Isheem Young and Craig McDonald transferring this past offseason, safety (and in particular, Freyler’s backup spot) is the position we are likely the thinnest at. (Clearly the Baylor staff was aware of that too). I expect having Freyler back this week will make a huge difference, and it will again be noticed just how vital he is to this team.

- TE questions. The group at TE has been mediocre at best so far this season, and given how much they are on the field, whether it be 1, 2, or even 3 TE sets, that is an issue. We have had the luxury of having 3 excellent TEs the past several years - who really were elite at blocking. This group so far - besides Rus at times - is not there yet. That issue really presented itself vs a DLine like Baylor. Now, KUs DLine and front 7 are not near as good, big or tough as what we just saw. Which is a good because this TE room needs to grow up fast.

FWIW - I think Kansas is much improved from years past BUT I still don’t think they are capable of beating top half B12 teams. The double OT shootout with WVU is a solid win but both Duke and Houston are outside the top 65 in terms of overall power rankings so I am not as impressed with their season as other seem to be. I expect the Cyclones to win by 10+ Saturday.

• Winner
Reactions: 83cy

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Ya, refs just aren’t very good at their jobs. Just imagine working with the impunity at your jobs that refs have. No consequences, no reckoning or explanations required or given to anyone or anything. The worst thing that happens is you get demoted the next season to doing “less big” Big 12 games after a “performance review”.
Interesting point, you make.

And I think it' would just be too much trouble to get enough reviewers to review and grade every game, in terms of refs.

Plus, well....

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
not sure how we are favored in this game. Dekkers has not shown us that he can have a 0 int game and if we give the Kansas offense short fields we have no hope of stopping them.
Against Baylor 1 Int was on X tossing the ball to the defender and the other was on 4th down were the ball had to be thrown. He does need to learn to throw the ball out of bounds sometimes but the interception concerns are exaggerated.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I'm still undecided if I'm worried about this game or not. Historically we do well slowing down high power offenses, but at the same time, we struggle against highly mobile QBs. KU is both. My biggest concern is that mobile QBs are controlled by LBs, and I don't feel that our LBs have played well this far due to breaking in new talent.

Our offense also hasn't performed greatly against real competition, but KU's defense is pretty poor against much worse competition than us. We should be able to throw at will and hopefully we can generate some rushing early on as well. If we play our normal ball control game and do it well, that will limit KUs offensive impact substantially.

That's a tough read. I suppose if I'm having thoughts about it, I'm probably worried to some degree.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

were creeping into iowa territory while kansas has a defense issue

also, poor colorado

So you are telling me that Iowa doesn't have the worst offense in all of college football?

ca8792a74a84312ed40773bd6c5aff2f2c3dffa8.gif

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Based off how slow he looked on Saturday, I hope Reeder isn't used as a spy because he'll be way too slow
Agree, he got blown past by Dillon freaking Doyle. That TD was super cringe.

Hopefully the spy is Malik Verdon, but if it has to be a true LBer, maybe Gerry Vaughn.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Against Baylor 1 Int was on X tossing the ball to the defender and the other was on 4th down were the ball had to be thrown. He does need to learn to throw the ball out of bounds sometimes but the interception concerns are exaggerated.
The "X tossing the ball to the defender" int was on Dekkers IMO. X knew he was going to get lit up on that play if he committed to the catch, and he still kinda did anyway. Hunter threw it at him while he was in the middle of the freeway. Bad read and decision led to the pick IMO.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
My take on the Baylor game and how it impacts this week vs KU and ROS.

Gonna avoid talking about the BS penalties bc we all aware of how horrible they were and how large of an impact they had on each of the drives.

- First off, Baylor is a top 15 maybe even top 10 team in the nation and they certainly played like one last week vs ISU. They made no mistakes and took advantage of the calls they got and the situations they were in. Aranda is really good and Grimes is a high level offensive mind. They will be tough to beat especially if their QB/OL/DL can continue to play the way they did Saturday.

- Losing B. Freyler on the 3rd play of the game hurt more than I think a lot of people realize. He is one of if not the most important guy on the Cyclones defense - especially vs a run heavy/power team like Baylor. His ability to stop the run from his safety position is unmatched, and he can cover too. After he was ejected, Baylor continuously went at the middle of the field and in particular at Freylers backup - Mason Chambers - who really really struggled. To the point where he was benched in the 4th Qtr. Chambers was poor in coverage and found himself out of position numerous times. It truly was unfortunate that Freyler was tossed, because due to Isheem Young and Craig McDonald transferring this past offseason, safety (and in particular, Freyler’s backup spot) is the position we are likely the thinnest at. (Clearly the Baylor staff was aware of that too). I expect having Freyler back this week will make a huge difference, and it will again be noticed just how vital he is to this team.

- TE questions. The group at TE has been mediocre at best so far this season, and given how much they are on the field, whether it be 1, 2, or even 3 TE sets, that is an issue. We have had the luxury of having 3 excellent TEs the past several years - who really were elite at blocking. This group so far - besides Rus at times - is not there yet. That issue really presented itself vs a DLine like Baylor. Now, KUs DLine and front 7 are not near as good, big or tough as what we just saw. Which is a good because this TE room needs to grow up fast.

FWIW - I think Kansas is much improved from years past BUT I still don’t think they are capable of beating top half B12 teams. The double OT shootout with WVU is a solid win but both Duke and Houston are outside the top 65 in terms of overall power rankings so I am not as impressed with their season as other seem to be. I expect the Cyclones to win by 10+ Saturday.
You bring up a great point about the TE's. I'm not an expert with regards to blocking schemes, so won't comment as to how they could or should be doing there, but they have not been super active as a pass catching group. Flashes from Hanika, as Dekkers seem to look for him in the red zone, but that has been it so far. Long season yet, so I won't push the panic button on them, but it has been a considerable step down from what we've come to expect.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The "X tossing the ball to the defender" int was on Dekkers IMO. X knew he was going to get lit up on that play if he committed to the catch, and he still kinda did anyway. Hunter threw it at him while he was in the middle of the freeway. Bad read and decision led to the pick IMO.
I'm sure X was confident that if the D blew him up as a defenseless player that the zebras would throw a flag...

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm sure X was confident that if the D blew him up as a defenseless player that the zebras would throw a flag...
Knowing is one thing...putting yourself in harms way like that isn't easy. Point I'm trying to make is I don't think Hunter should have made that particular throw. I know X is amazing and easy to want to throw to, but Hunter needed to show some better perception there IMO.