2022 NCAA FB Coaching Carousel

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Frost got things started last week, Herm Edwards got the axe today. With these big contracts, this stuff is going to be starting sooner and sooner every year. Neither are a suprise but its pretty crazy to be in week 3 and have 2 p5 jobs already open.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Frost got things started last week, Herm Edwards got the axe today. With these big contracts, this stuff is going to be starting sooner and sooner every year. Neither are a suprise but its pretty crazy to be in week 3 and have 2 p5 jobs already open.

I still think it’s weird both moves weren’t made 10 months ago. What more did you need to see? And if you commit to the guy, don’t you owe him more than 3 games?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I still think it’s weird both moves weren’t made 10 months ago. What more did you need to see? And if you commit to the guy, don’t you owe him more than 3 games?

Frost makes sense to keep around if were just waiting for the buyout to drop, what they did makes no sense at all. Should have just cut him loose last year and ripped the band aid off. I'm not sure they could've handled it any worse.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Frost makes sense to keep around if were just waiting for the buyout to drop, what they did makes no sense at all. Should have just cut him loose last year and ripped the band aid off. I'm not sure they could've handled it any worse.
Exactly. You can wait 11 months to save $7.5M but not 2 weeks? Weird.

Reactions: ISUalways

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Frost made some sense…assuming they had waited until 10/1.

The Herm higher was a real reach.
I don’t think the hire was bad. At least at the time I didn’t. I thought he got off to a decent start and had a couple of pretty good recruiting classes IIRC.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Frost made some sense…assuming they had waited until 10/1.

The Herm higher was a real reach.
The asu AD is Herm’s ?former? Agent from nfl days.

The hiring of the AD and HFC was a head scratcher from the beginning. If the former ISU javelin thrower who is now in leadership made the decision on hiring AD ?Anderson IIRC?) this whole outcome is comical!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I forgot what radio program recently said it but they believed ASU is a sleeping giant. With the right coach and NIL, they could be a legit contender.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
The asu AD is Herm’s ?former? Agent from nfl days.

The hiring of the AD and HFC was a head scratcher from the beginning. If the former ISU javelin thrower who is now in leadership made the decision on hiring AD ?Anderson IIRC?) this whole outcome is comical!

Crow ate up the Ivory Tower, Stanford educated Anderson.

ASU/Crow are at the head of the Larry Scott PAC fanboys in which their identity and self-esteem are tied to being one of Stanford and Cal’s tag-alongs. Like Utah, and to a degree CU

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Is it common for coaches to get let go this early in a season?

Its becoming more common but its still dumb as ****. It doesn't help anything.

I understand doing it in early november or something if you want to get a head start on hiring, recruiting, etc. But september is silly and means you ****** up last year.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone and jsb

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Scott Frost or Brian Ferentz might be a really good fit for Northern Iowa next year as a new coach. I think they could really sit in those kitchens and living rooms in Eagle Grove and Waukee and look those moms and dads and 5'9", 180 pound kids in the eye and promise they will get to play.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Its becoming more common but its still dumb as ****. It doesn't help anything.

I understand doing it in early november or something if you want to get a head start on hiring, recruiting, etc. But september is silly and means you ****** up last year.

Plus I don’t think it really speeds up the process at all. Those schools are still in there fighting everyone at the end of November for Matt Campbell.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The only way the Frost & Edwards firings make sense in September is if they are creating a toxic or disruptive environment. The additional caveat for Herm is if more information has come to light regarding recruiting violations during his tenure.

Even with Frost, the Huskers were 1-2. What would it have hurt to allow him to coach 3-4 more games? IMO the players come first- what is the best move for them to have success in the current season?

I understand why schools aren't waiting until November. With the early signing date and transfer market- it's critical for a struggling program's new coach to win December.

The early firings could also make sense if schools like NU & ASU want to target someone who is not coaching this season- like an Urban Meyer or Chris Petersen.