Purdy mini camp

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
How much of that was the style of play Purdy was told to run years 2-4? Seemed like he broke out his freshman year mainly due to a lot of big runs with the signature Purdy Pump.
We then thought we had a true dual threat QB only to see him turned into a pocket passer with the occasional keeper.
Totally agree, it seemed like after his freshman year, the coaches were afraid that Purdy was going to get hurt so he stopped running the ball.
When Hall started playing, Purdy ran almost every RPO's, refusing to read it and give it to Hall, then about halfway through the year, he was giving it to Hall everytime, instead of faking it to him and rolling the other way, or turning up field.

ISU never seemed to really know what they wanted to do with Purdy, they wanted him to stay in the pocket and not scramble, when he should have been more of a two way player.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The legend of Kyle Kempt gets bigger with every year. He's a gamer, had an all-time win at OU, and was the starter during one of the most exciting 3-4 game stretches in ISU history. But we won in spite of him. Purdy was much more talented, and Kempt would tell you that. Kempt had Butler and Lazard.

Purdy was a good college QB. A great ISU QB. He got caught between gunslinger and game manager and it affected his confidence, in my opinion. Injuries didn't help. I maintain that watching a game in person gives you a much stronger appreciation for his play. He was usually under pressure from the moment he got to the top of his drop.
Agree on seeing him play in person. More than once I remember seeing him get absolutely obliterated and pop back up. I would say to guy next to me at JTS “damn, Brock just got killed” and the game just went on. His durability is seen in his number of starts over his career but it feels to me like his toughness is somehow under appreciated.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Neither Purdy nor Kempt are NFL quarterbacks. Between the two, I think Kempt had the better overall skillset for a college QB. Smarter, even tempered, able to read the game much better.

It's all conjecture and amusement of course, but I think with a healthy Kempt instead of Purdy the 2021 team wins 11-12 games (including a major bowl).
We won in spite of both imo.

A lot of offensive skill talent around both, and some very good defenses.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
The way some people on this board talk about Purdy I swear he must have banged your wives.
It's ridiculous. I mean, look at the guy's stats during his time here.

Brock was high risk high reward, and when you play that way, you'll sometimes make a great play and other times crap the bed. But good lord, everyone makes mistakes and has bad games.

I never realized there was so much Brock P hate here.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa

Brock was high risk high reward, and when you play that way, you'll sometimes make a great play and other times crap the bed. But good lord, everyone makes mistakes and has bad games.

There are some people on here who still worship Steele Janz.:rolleyes:

Reactions: davegilbertson

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
It looks like some of the 49ers media is coming around on Brock. Talk that he could be the QB2 by the end of camp.

How I feel after watching that

200.gif

PredominantISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2014

I tend to think of it more as burnout more than hate. There is so much to appreciate and in a lot of ways, especially toughness, he brought something in that was lacking for so long. But by the end his limitations were obvious and I think it’s hard to say there wasn’t a bit of disappointment that for a wide variety of reasons he didn’t reach the heights it seemed he was destined for. I mean there was a legit argument he had a comparable year to fellow freshman Trever Lawrence. I think it’s possible to be thankful for his efforts and the winning culture he was a huge part of but also be really excited for what comes next.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
"Talk to me like a man" Bro take the food out of your mouth if you want respect
I was trying to figure out what was going on because I never saw him take a bite but at one point a bunch of sunflower seed shells fall out. Why would you take a mouthful of those before going on a podcast?