2022 Recruiting/Transfer Class

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I've always wondered how those percentages can be figured in a case like this. Can't be based on some mathematical data, so who puts a number on it? Just funny to me, that's all.
Someday he'll understand everything is 50/50.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
1652581599372.png

This league is going to be BRUTAL again.. Somewhere between 1/2-2/3 of the way through transfer season. 9/10 Big 12 teams are in the Torvik top 40.. ISU likely a low 30's team with AJ Green.

WV is WAY overrated in this model and TCU far too underappreciated IMO. But everything else looks about right to me. 9-9 in league play may be a tough but realistic goal

• Informative
Reactions: mjdivine and bawbie

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
View attachment 98790

This league is going to be BRUTAL again.. Somewhere between 1/2-2/3 of the way through transfer season. 9/10 Big 12 teams are in the Torvik top 40.. ISU likely a low 30's team with AJ Green.

WV is WAY overrated in this model and TCU far too underappreciated IMO. But everything else looks about right to me. 9-9 in league play may be a tough but realistic goal
We'll be better than KSU, OU, and WVU for sure with Green. Feel confident on that. I'm not sold on Texas yet either unless they got some guys I don't know of. That program is the definition of underachievers

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Hunter - Williams = moderate downgrade in talent, only a slight downgrade in production
Jackson - Holmes = Big upgrade in talent and production
Brockington - Hopefully AJ Green = push
Walker - Tre King = Big upgrade in talent and production
Conditt - Osun = Moderate upgrade talent and production
Enaruna - Hason Ward = push in talent and a moderate upgrade in production

Defensive interior is the biggest upgrade this offseason IMO. Landing AJ Green would REALLY elevate the team shooting as that is a large question mark without him.

Williams, Holmes, Green, Kalschuer and Grill would take A LOT of minutes on at 3 guard spots.
Jaz playing A TON before King is eligible and then doing 50/50 duty at the 4.
Osun, Ward and Jones likely doing a 60/30/10 split at the 5.

Outside of foul trouble, or Lipsey or King coming to campus with Steph Curry shooting. I don't think we see the freshman guards much. Much different story if AJ Green stays in the draft.

I can see 10-15 minutes a game open at the 4 spot until King is available. Do we go 4 guards and Osun/Ward against nobodies in the preseason? I think there is a big opportunity for Watson to come in and make a BIG impact. He's got the same height as Jaz with more athleticism. Am super interested to see if he can carve out a roll in the first semester. If he plays well, I think we see Jones eliminated from the lineup with Jaz being the third option in a small ball 5 lineup.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
Hunter - Williams = moderate downgrade in talent, only a slight downgrade in production

Defensive interior is the biggest upgrade this offseason IMO. Landing AJ Green would REALLY elevate the team shooting as that is a large question mark without him.

Williams, Holmes, Green, Kalschuer and Grill would take A LOT of minutes on at 3 guard spots.

Outside of foul trouble, or Lipsey or King coming to campus with Steph Curry shooting. I don't think we see the freshman guards much. Much different story if AJ Green stays in the draft.

I can see 10-15 minutes a game open at the 4 spot until King is available. Do we go 4 guards and Osun/Ward against nobodies in the preseason? I think there is a big opportunity for Watson to come in and make a BIG impact. He's got the same height as Jaz with more athleticism. Am super interested to see if he can carve out a roll in the first semester. If he plays well, I think we see Jones eliminated from the lineup with Jaz being the third option in a small ball 5 lineup.

My current theory is that until Tre King is eligible the 4 spot will be 50% Kunc, 25% Ward, and 25% small ball. Largely depends on whether Ward can play the 4 or if Watson can earn time as the backup. If we get AJG then the small ball % might also increase.

Reactions: isutrevman

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
My current theory is that until Tre King is eligible the 4 spot will be 50% Kunc, 25% Ward, and 25% small ball. Largely depends on whether Ward can play the 4 or if Watson can earn time as the backup. If we get AJG then the small ball % might also increase.

I pray to all things heavenly that we DO NOT play Osun and Ward on the court at the same time against anyway inside Kenpom's top 200. Remember how horrific the offense was with Enaruna and Conditt/Jones at the 4/5 spots.. Enaruna is more skilled away from the basket than Ward.

That's A LOT of pressure on the 3 guards if you put two centers on the court together.. Especially if one of those guards is Gabe who struggles to dribble under pressure and shoot.

Reactions: isutrevman

ChickenNuggetMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis

Osun is more than a moderate upgrade over Conditt. Osun was in several top20 transfer lists, Conditt would’ve been nowhere near that.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Osun is more than a moderate upgrade over Conditt. Osun was in several top20 transfer lists, Conditt would’ve been nowhere near that.
Osun averaged 31 minutes while Conditt averaged only 18 minutes. So there really isn't much of a difference in rebounding especially when you consider how far George was away from the basket and the difference in competition. I'd say offensive production is a push (Conditt had one of the highest FG% in ISU history). Osun has a big advantage in terms of shot blocking.

• Agree
Reactions: WhoISthis

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Osun averaged 31 minutes while Conditt averaged only 18 minutes. So there really isn't much of a difference in rebounding especially when you consider how far George was away from the basket and the difference in competition. I'd say offensive production is a push (Conditt had one of the highest FG% in ISU history). Osun has a big advantage in terms of shot blocking.

Good point. I'd also add that Conditt's freshman and sophomore numbers were very promising too, when he had good pg play and in a more post friendly offense.

TJ mentioned Osun's game expanding and playing him away from the basket...like Conditt

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Conditt also had one of the worst TO% in the country all four years. Something Osun has shown the ability to do.