Friday OT - On Good Author-ity

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
For anyone who loves golf, I've read Tom Coyne's books about his golf travels and they are all wonderful.

• Informative
Reactions: Angie

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
If anyone is interested in Phil Knight and how he built Nike, you need to read "Shoe Dog". It was a really quick read.

JW3

Jul 23, 2016
Mark Sullivan
John Grisham
Doris Kearns Goodwin
Jon Meacham
William Kent Krueger
James McBride
Erik Larson
Amor Towles

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
  • Informative
Reactions: GMackey32

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
My favorite authors of the past are now just fond memories, and as I age, I find contemporary fiction mostly unbearable. I also find that when I re-read the classics, I either like them more or like them less, because, let's face it: I'm not the same person now that I was when I read them back then.

So, it's non-fiction for me these days.

Currently, I am much in awe of James Parker, a staff writer at The Atlantic. Every one of his essays is a work of art.

Here's the ending of his "Ode" (to gum) in the June issue.

"Someone told me at school that if you swallowed a piece of gum it would wrap itself around your heart. Amazing image. So chew on, humans. Those knobs of used gum -- they're tiny monuments to contemplation, really. They memorialize passages of the mind. The thoughts are flown, but the gum remains. Get some on your shoe, wrap it around your heart and think of me."

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Steve Berry - Cotton Malone series, specifically, but all his characters are great.
Douglas Preston & Lincoln Childs - Pendergast books are wonderful
Tolkien
Rowling

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Who is your favorite author? Do you have more than one? What are your favorite works by them?
I'll stick with contemporary since otherwise the list would get pretty long...

Donna Tartt - I don't think anyone develops fictional characters better than she does.
Richard Russo - He just writes with so much grit, depth, and dry humor.
Doris Kearns Goodwin - Captures the human stories of historical figures so well, without getting preachy.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron