Friday OT - On Good Author-ity

Alswelk

Slightly Radioactive
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2006
Albuquerque, NM
Neil Gaiman has been my go-to answer to this for a long time. I've read everything he's written since American Gods the day it came out, although my favorite book of his is still Neverwhere.

I've read most of the "classic" science fiction authors - and obviously the Big Three (Asimov, Heinlein, and Clarke) are on my list, and I usually answer that I like Clarke the best, though I may have been shifting to Heinlein recently because he's such an interesting cat (how one guy could write both Starship Troopers and Stranger in a Strange Land kind of bends my mind - plus disguising a how-to manual on an anarchist revolution as a science fiction novel [The Moon is a Harsh Mistress] is magnificent).

More seriously, Orwell is fantastic, although I can't recommend his non-fiction enough (particularly Homage to Catalonia, there's one passage in here that, if you've read it, will make you tear up laughing, and others that will make you tear up crying).

I'm on kind of a Gore Vidal kick at the moment, both the fiction and non-fiction. I have a minor late Roman/Byzantine problem (read: obsession), so I read his novel about Julian the Apostate awhile back and am working on finding time to read more of his work.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Erik Larson - Devil in the White City and Dead Wake are both amazing.

Robert Kurson - Pirate Hunters and Shadow Divers are both wonderful.

Michael Shermer - Why People Believe Weird Things was a gateway into all his work and I never looked back.

Mark Adams - Turn Right at Machu Picchu is the best travel book I've ever read, and it lead me to Meet me in Atlantis, and I recommend both quite highly.

Reactions: Angie

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
Who is your favorite author? Do you have more than one? What are your favorite works by them?

Diana Gabaldon - IMO the Outlander series on Starz doesn't even begin to compare to the books. I started reading the first book in the series when it was released in the 90's and I've re-read so many of them over the years.

I also have quite a few Michele Sinclair, Suzanne Tinsdale, Diana Knightingly, and more. I like the historical romances.

My husband reads a lot of John Sanford, John Grisham, James Patterson, Lee Child.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Neil Gaiman has been my go-to answer to this for a long time. I've read everything he's written since American Gods the day it came out, although my favorite book of his is still Neverwhere.
I read American Gods and loved it for about two weeks after reading it. Then I got about as sick as I've ever been (my mom was making plans for how to tell my brother that I had died) and I was having hallucinations and the like. That book very much influenced those hallucinations and while I still think it's a great book, now I'm kind of scared to read it again.

Reactions: Alswelk and Angie

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
I don't know if I can narrow it down, as I like many different ones quite a lot. Here are a few that immediately spring to mind:

Neil Gaiman
Stephen King
C.J. Tudor
Joe Hill
Joe Hart
Blake Crouch
Chuck Wendig

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Vonnegut and Dostoevsky are in a class by themselves.

One under the radar author I really like is Ross Thomas who wrote Briarpatch and The Fools in Town Are on Our Side among others. Good crime fiction reads.

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Vonnegut. Tolkien. Dostoevsky. Douglas Adams. Shakespeare. John Donne. Roddy Doyle.
Damn...hard to settle on a few.

I love Dostoevsky, but British lit and poetry are my first loves.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Other than those already mentioned I have to give a nod to Cormac McCarthy and Octavia Butler.

Also, even though I’m not a huge fan of some of his stories, Ted Chiang is interesting. Some of stuff scientifically is really out there. The guy has a wild mind.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
Cormac McCarthy
Stephen King
Peter Heller
Diana Gabaldon
John Grisham
Carl Hiaasen
Ann Cleeves
Several long series that I've read over the years:
Brad Thor (Scot Harvath), Lee Child (Jack Reacher), CJ Box (Joe Pickett), Vince Flynn/Kyle Mills (Mitch Rapp)

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
I agree with a lot of the posters here, especially with the fantasy writers. Frank Herbert is one of the authors where I love the worldbuilding and characters, but as the series goes on he gets pretty weird and out there, definitely an acquired taste.

For Elizabethan playwrights, Shakespeare is the GOAT, but I personally prefer Kit Marlowe.

I like Dan Jones for popular medieval history topics. He writes in a style that is pretty fun compared to other historians.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Michael Connelly books are awesome.
Vince Flynn (Mitch Rapp series).
JK Rowling
David Baldacci

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
My Dad had a huge Stephen King collection when I was younger. Convinced me to read Cujo and Pet Semetary. Scared the crap out of me because I was like 10.
My mom as well. Interesting being young and seeing her maiden name in many of them.
I couldn't make it thru much of the Stand but almost all the others were great.

Reactions: Angie and GMackey32

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
My mom as well. Interesting being young and seeing her maiden name in many of them.
I couldn't make it thru much of the Stand but almost all the others were great.
After reading through Cujo and Pet Semetary, I stopped reading King because they were definitely too advanced for me. Gave me nightmares. I then started digging through my Dad's complete set of Encyclopedia Brittanica's. I think that's where I learned to love seeking out information on things I don't know.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Bookmarking some stuff here.

Been reading almost daily during the last couple of years of social distancing but the only significant work I've read in that time period is The Sand Sea by Michael McClellan. By "serious" I mean not just a light beach read to escape the news of the day. It's a really good first novel of what will be a series. It's a 700 plus page novel that seems to be lost somewhat in the fantasy category on Amazon that are mostly pulp fiction like serials. This is a real novel. Vivid characters from the different backgrounds and parts of the world who's intertwining stories converge in the great desert of this 1880's like world. And, since it's fantasy, you have the 1880's people suddenly confronted by the reality of some prophesies and magical powers. Check out the Goodreads reviews, I suck at expressing summaries or even why I like something but was a stay up late reading book for me. Of course, now it's wait for the next since it is a new publication and not pulp fiction where the writer can pump one out every six or nine months.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron