Ozark on Netflix

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Does 3 inherit all of Darlene's wealth and land after Ruth's death?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I didn't hate the ending, but it felt like a SEASON finale, not a SERIES finale. Way too many loose ends.
Yep.... the conspiracy theorist in me thinks we may see another season in the distant future. I would guess Bateman and Lilley already played the parts 2-3 seasons more then they expected and want to pursue other movies/series. Leaving how they did though they could come back 5 years from now with a full season or maybe a movie to finish it off. (and get that Netflix bag).

Reactions: flynnhicks03

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
I was mostly frustrated by the lack of any real twists in the final season: Everything was basically: a character makes a plan, they talk about what they are going to do, they do the thing. Ruth killing Javi was a good example of this. They spent a little bit of time showing how conflicted she was, but in the end she just did it almost exactly like she'd fantasized with no complications. There was very little that really surprised me as a viewer.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I was mostly frustrated by the lack of any real twists in the final season: Everything was basically: a character makes a plan, they talk about what they are going to do, they do the thing. Ruth killing Javi was a good example of this. They spent a little bit of time showing how conflicted she was, but in the end she just did it almost exactly like she'd fantasized with no complications. There was very little that really surprised me as a viewer.
Honestly the surprising thing to me about that was that she actually went through with it. I thought she'd wimp out and then Javi would kill her or something

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I don't know why Ruth just didn't kill Javi on the street where Marty and Wendy wouldn't see it and it could just be assumed to be a cartel hit.
I also didn't buy the whole FBI will work with whatever cartel leader no matter what as long as they get some seizures, when there are already seizures at the border. Now, I can get some kind of secret CIA operation where they are working with a cartel boss for some kind of political purpose.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Didn't like the finale mostly because the ending (Jonah with the shotgun and the implication that he shoots the PI) was not well developed. If they wanted to end it that way, we should have gotten more Jonah character development which really could have been interesting.

The whole second half of the last season felt more like fanfiction than a real series; it was a letdown. As others have said, the car crash cold open to the series turned out to be pointless and stupid. It felt like the writers included it for dramatic effect and said "We'll figure out later why we put it here," and then decided to back out of it when they wrote the second half of the season.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Didn't like the finale mostly because the ending (Jonah with the shotgun and the implication that he shoots the PI) was not well developed. If they wanted to end it that way, we should have gotten more Jonah character development which really could have been interesting.

The whole second half of the last season felt more like fanfiction than a real series; it was a letdown. As others have said, the car crash cold open to the series turned out to be pointless and stupid. It felt like the writers included it for dramatic effect and said "We'll figure out later why we put it here," and then decided to back out of it when they wrote the second half of the season.
This final season to me felt rushed. They had decided to end it and were going to end it. The Jonah evolution, or lack there of, really emphasized it to me. They never really brought him back into the fold of the family, but then bam, he does what he does. Even the car crash part. I think that was their device to bind the Byrdes back together, but it just seemed thrown in, not really given enough time.

Reactions: jctisu

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
This final season to me felt rushed. They had decided to end it and were going to end it. The Jonah evolution, or lack there of, really emphasized it to me. They never really brought him back into the fold of the family, but then bam, he does what he does. Even the car crash part. I think that was their device to bind the Byrdes back together, but it just seemed thrown in, not really given enough time.
Agreed. I feel like the car crash was one of a long series of events that could have done something interesting with Wendy's character, but never followed through. I would have loved to see her have to face up to her mortality in more depth after spending most of the season acting invincible.

Reactions: Halincandenza

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
IMO that ending sucked. Very disappointed that I wasted all the time on that show for that ending. As soon as they killed Ruth I was done. Kill Ruth but let Wendy off scott free, puke.

The last 2-3 episodes were all about "Marty being a ***** and just doing whatever Wendy wanted", I was hoping he would be something to redeem himself and flip that script but no just continued down the same path.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Wrapped this up tonight. I enjoyed the show overall, but it leaned way too heavily on certain characteristics of its characters, like Wendy as the master manipulator.

The second part of the final season was a bit disappointing, I thought. At the start I wondered how they would stretch it out for seven more episodes as it didn't seem like there was that much ground left to cover. And then somehow they end up with a final episode that had a ton of loose ends to tie up and rushed its way through it. Not that satisfying, I thought, and not just because of who lived and who died.

Clonezz74

Apr 14, 2022
Dead ends:
-The car crash. It just happens. It doesn't effect anything. No one is hurt, it wasn't caused by the cartel, it has no link to anything else going on in the show. It's just a device to create a dramatic hook at the start of the 4th season.

-Wendy's dad and his congregation and the baptism of Sam (whatever the real estate agent is). What is the point of this? They all just disappear and have no connection to the greater story or end of the series. I don't think it's very realistic to think that the whole congregation would just follow him out there.

-Cosgrove and the KC mob. They just kind of disappeared without much conclusion or wrap up.

-The cartel priest. Why?

Plot holes/wildly unbelievable ****:
-Ruth is burying Nelson's body in the bottom of the pool while the contractors show up to start working for the day. Did they just not notice her walking out of there with a shovel?

-Javi, this big cartel hotshot is just wandering Chicago without protection? He goes to a fancy restaurant for lunch, beats the **** out of a guy in the bathroom and no one notices? Javi's character in and of itself is unrealistic. Cartels are much smarter. They don't just wander around the Midwest killing sheriffs for the hell of it.

-The way the Snells just hair-trigger murdered absolutely everyone that looked at them funny and just buried them in their massive opium poppy field.

This is just off the top of my head. I'm not trying to ruin the show, just explain why I didn't love it as much as Breaking Bad.
I agree, I think that the way the theme of Ozark is so close to Breaking Bad so it's natural for people to compare both of them.

About Javi, there is no way a cartel head travels anywhere without a bodyguard. At least a driver. When he went to the last meeting he just grab an uber or taxi. The whole episode about Javi and Ruth is just not well thought out.

I think especially this last season the writers for Ozark just went either lazy or don't care anymore. Plot points are just there to add obstacles to the Bryde's to add more tension to the story. Without thinking whether it's logical or not.

I would add another sore point for me, The cartel leader forcing Marty to launder more money so he can bribe his lieutenants. Like...they are drug cartel lieutenants. they don't care if the moeny the got for their bribes are drug money. Things like this are just put down the quality of the Ozark unfortunately.

• Agree
Reactions: Trice

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I agree, I think that the way the theme of Ozark is so close to Breaking Bad so it's natural for people to compare both of them.

About Javi, there is no way a cartel head travels anywhere without a bodyguard. At least a driver. When he went to the last meeting he just grab an uber or taxi. The whole episode about Javi and Ruth is just not well thought out.

I think especially this last season the writers for Ozark just went either lazy or don't care anymore. Plot points are just there to add obstacles to the Bryde's to add more tension to the story. Without thinking whether it's logical or not.

I would add another sore point for me, The cartel leader forcing Marty to launder more money so he can bribe his lieutenants. Like...they are drug cartel lieutenants. they don't care if the moeny the got for their bribes are drug money. Things like this are just put down the quality of the Ozark unfortunately.

Strong agree on the part in bold. As one example, I was losing track of how many times and why either the cartel or Snells dropped out of being a supplier for Shaw, only for the other to step in, and back again. And, as others have said, the lack of activity on the Snell farm in season 4 despite what happened there in season 3 - the authorities didn't bother to check the barn? No former employees came back to steal the mountains of heroin sitting there unguarded? - is 1000% implausible.

I thought this piece articulated well some of the flaws in the show, particularly the last season. I particularly liked this paragraph:

Ozark has benefitted from its performances in a similar fashion, with Garner, Jason Bateman, and especially Laura Linney making it seem as though the series has more gravitas than it actually possesses. But Ozark never slowed down long enough to meaningfully study its most fascinating character (Wendy) or anyone, for that matter. It was too busy hurling freshly baked obstacles at the Byrdes so Wendy and Marty could get into yet another argument about how they just need to agree on this one last thing because they are “so close to being out of this.”

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Agree with everything especially the bolded. What in the actual F...and it ultimately led to Ruth's demise, who end of the day is the only real redeeming character in the show, aside from maybe Three. The showrunners got too cute. Should have just let Darlene eventually go crazy enough to kill Wyatt herself, let Omar rot or get killed by the Lagunas cartel in prison and then let Javi get the FBI deal. Then they could have left Ruth alone or made her fight be against Darlene, which could have been pretty epic IMO. Byrdes would have been off scotch free too, although I'd have loved to see Wendy suffer some sort of sudden ending. Marty gets the kids and they move to Australia, perfect ending all around.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Does anyone else wonder if Wendy's Dad has killed Sam yet, for catching him in the act with Annaliese?

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
IMO that ending sucked. Very disappointed that I wasted all the time on that show for that ending. As soon as they killed Ruth I was done. Kill Ruth but let Wendy off scott free, puke.

The last 2-3 episodes were all about "Marty being a ***** and just doing whatever Wendy wanted", I was hoping he would be something to redeem himself and flip that script but no just continued down the same path.
After Omar told Marty that his biggest threat will always be from within.....I was betting that Wendy was going to alienate the whole family and do something so reckless that Marty and the kids would basically have to agree that she needed to disappear. Some scene where Marty and Jonah look at each other without saying anything, and Charlotte eventually saying "dad, we can't do that!!!!" but realizing that it's the only way.

Imagine coming to that conclusion: that mom needs to be sacrificed for the safety of the rest of the family.

Reactions: isufbcurt