Craig McDonald transferring

CyState85

May 8, 2019
How does all of this NIL stuff go down? Does some dude that works for a major company just scour the internet and message 20 year old dudes all day promising them cash for play? It sounds like a Craigslist scam but I’m guessing they reach out to 100’s of kids

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
The guy had 41 tackles and 2 picks last year and has never been on an all conference team and people want to act like there’s another school out there offering him a mountain of cash or something…?

I could see some mid-level team from a conference like the American or Mountain West going after guys like Craig with smaller NIL amounts of $15,000 to try to stack a team that could win their conference. Total investment of $200,000 could go a long ways in that situation.

And yes, I know it’d be stupid long term for him to go to a school like that, but all of us would have made stupid long term decisions in college for $15,000.

Reactions: cyclone1209

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Again. Dumb because you literally are assuming things won’t change and this thing will have zero regulations. I get it’s fun to prepare for the worst, but the worst case scenario rarely happens.
For anyone to walk this thing back and start putting regulations on it…that’s going to take something we haven’t seen yet. And that is a group of people working together for the good of the sport and not just the good of themselves or their conference. I’m not going to say it’s impossible, but it’s definitely unlikely. The SEC has no interest in changing nil because they are benefiting from it.

The most likely scenario to me is that some of these big boosters get burned by kids who don’t produce and the top end of what looks like unlimited money dries up some. If enough of these guys get burned, maybe the top end is more like $100k instead of $1M.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
blows my mind anyone thinks this guy is leaving for money
Why?

-CM ends the year starting at one of the most demanding positions on a very good defense
-Almost any school can offer him more pay for play, so it wouldn’t take much

I don’t think anyone knows but CM and a handful of others, but it’s certainly plausible.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
The guy had 41 tackles and 2 picks last year and has never been on an all conference team and people want to act like there’s another school out there offering him a mountain of cash or something…?
I have no clue about what’s going on.
However, there could be two aspects to NIL money. Signing bonus and ongoing opportunity. Seems to me we will not be offering signing bonuses, and the ongoing opportunity is probably minimal in terms of the national scene. Example / Oklahoma giving every player $50K/yr. Not at all suggesting he ends up at OU, only there is likely many places with greater opportunities for NIL cash than ISU. If money is even involved.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
For anyone to walk this thing back and start putting regulations on it…that’s going to take something we haven’t seen yet. And that is a group of people working together for the good of the sport and not just the good of themselves or their conference. I’m not going to say it’s impossible, but it’s definitely unlikely. The SEC has no interest in changing nil because they are benefiting from it.

The most likely scenario to me is that some of these big boosters get burned by kids who don’t produce and the top end of what looks like unlimited money dries up some. If enough of these guys get burned, maybe the top end is more like $100k instead of $1M.

Or kids that go pro or actually do outbid them and even the highest donors start asking 'is it worth it to pay a kid for one season?'

Add in that many coaches are going to struggle to put together the type of season these donors are looking for even with very talented rosters.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

A majority of states now have laws forbidding any organization from regulating NIL for college athlets. Thus, any attempt to regulate NIL is going to end up in the courts.

We'll see how much fortitude the NCAA has to take on NIL in the courts by who they pick as their next president.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Make scholarships a guaranteed contract for 1-5 years. During which time the player cannot be cut due to field performance and the player cannot transfer until the contract is complete.
That way a coach can roster plan
Most schools, including Iowa State, are giving 4 year deals unless there is bad behavior. This wasn't the case until 10 years ago when they were annually renewed.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
A majority of states now have laws forbidding any organization from regulating NIL for college athlets. Thus, any attempt to regulate NIL is going to end up in the courts.

We'll see how much fortitude the NCAA has to take on NIL in the courts by who they pick as their next president.
They can’t regulate NIL. At most they can make the wording a little more ironclad and require reasonable compensation for reasonable services provided. But that is easily skirted around and remains pay for play instead of NIL.

They have to get rid of the no sit out transfer. That’s all the NCAA really has power over.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They can’t regulate NIL. At most they can make the wording a little more ironclad and require reasonable compensation for reasonable services provided. But that is easily skirted around and remains pay for play instead of NIL.

They have to get rid of the no sit out transfer. That’s all the NCAA really has power over.
Make scholarships 4 year deals for freshman and 2 year for jucos with an option additional year if both agree. Can only be voided if they flunk out or have a major violation of some sort. Then have a buyout clause at least equal to the scholarship. At least let the little schools have free players if they lose one.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Make scholarships 4 year deals for freshman and 2 year for jucos with an option additional year if both agree. Can only be voided if they flunk out or have a major violation of some sort. Then have a buyout clause at least equal to the scholarship. At least let the little schools have free players if they lose one.
Good luck enforcing that. Or getting any kid to sign that.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
but then we come full circle to the age old argument where the kid is on the hook for 4 years at a university but the entire coaching staff can leave without penalty in the blink of an eye.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
IMO... a school with ISU's resources need to concentrate their NIL efforts on a small handful of impact players that you can't afford to lose.... like Will McDonald, and even Dekkers IMO. There are others as well. Craig McDonald likely would not make the list.

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

Help Support Us

Become a patron