AJ Green Leaves the Portal - Staying in Draft

Curt Smith

Oct 18, 2018
I just spoke with a friend who is a Drake fan and knows the MVC well. He said AJ can’t or won’t play defense, a definite must for TJ. He also said that Virginia might be an option, since they offered AJ out of high school.

I do know that UNI doesn’t emphasize defense, so maybe AJ can still develop that skill.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I just spoke with a friend who is a Drake fan and knows the MVC well. He said AJ can’t or won’t play defense, a definite must for TJ. He also said that Virginia might be an option, since they offered AJ out of high school.

I do know that UNI doesn’t emphasize defense, so maybe AJ can still develop that skill.
UNI 1000% emphasized defense. Kyle Green was the man behind the curtain on that.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA

Yeah…cause Tony Bennett’s teams don’t play defense.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

Sounds like you need to get a new friend.

Mississippi Clone

Aug 6, 2016

Curt how do you think your team will do if Kris Murray gets drafted in the NBA this year?

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020

Yeah, Virginia doesn’t play defense.

Reactions: Statefan10

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Actually, the $150 a year on the premium board, that has limited premium features I instead added to my Iowa State contribution. I have substantially increased my contribution this year to all things Iowa State. But I don't see paying a premium fee, that is the same as what you could get ESPN+/Disney+/Hulu combined, for an extra thread with no extra information, a theme, and a couple emojis. Sorry. I will just support the board with my ad revenue.

I have no problem paying a premium for content that is worth it. As a matter of fact even if it is close to worth it, but asking $12 for what should be in the $5 level is the problem for me. A $12 premium needs to have some serious content and premium. I would probably pay the $5 per month for everything that is in the $12 level, the the $5 level is a joke, and the $12 level is ridiculous for what you get. Sure some charity to the local guy is nice, but that only goes so far, when everyone wants that money.

It's amazing how many on here think they know how much everyone makes and spends, and where everyone's money goes. I mean, pay more to the cyclone club, pay more to the gridiron club, pay more to the alumni club, give to the University, pay to the NIL, buy more tickets, buy more gear, don't forget your ESPN+ membership so you can watch, oh and make sure you buy the top tier for the premium forum too, at $150 a year, why because it helps the local guy, not because you get anything for it.
Again, u have every right to your opinion. A lot ot conversation and words over a $7/month rational is too much to spend

Congratulations on increasing your numbers to ISU.

Somebody please point out hard evidence why our contributions are so dismal to athletics.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Somebody please point out hard evidence why our contributions are so dismal to athletics.
It's related to the AAU news. That's the way the State leaders envisioned ISU for a century.

Sports was the one area in which the brand could have been most readily changed- particularly within the state. You can self-fund athletics to prominence, much easier than on a university level.

But ISU missed out on the state funding athletics to a head start, and self-pride in ISU athletics is a relatively new thing. We still have fans that have spent 20+ years following ISU recruiting on message boards, complete degenerate fan behavior, boasting how they would rather buy 5 sets of gold clubs than donate to NIL.

JP had to fight this when he came in, and I think he tossed in the white flag on changing the mindset long ago. And imo, he's not one you'd pick to change the donation culture.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It's related to the AAU news. That's the way the State leaders envisioned ISU for a century.

Sports was the one area in which the brand could have been most readily changed- particularly within the state. You can self-fund athletics to prominence, much easier than on a university level.

But ISU missed out on the state funding athletics to a head start, and self-pride in ISU athletics is a relatively new thing. We still have fans that have spent 20+ years following ISU recruiting on message boards, complete degenerate fan behavior, boasting how they would rather buy 5 sets of gold clubs than donate to NIL.

JP had to fight this when he came in, and I think he tossed in the white flag on changing the mindset long ago. And imo, he's not one you'd pick to change the donation culture.

He didn’t and doesn’t’t do anyone any favors constantly claiming “POVERTY!” which at the same time signals to people that we’re poor and will never be “rich” and then constantly leans on the same people (the fans/alumni) over and over again asking for more more more more while cutting big pieces out of the true culture of ISU fans.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
He didn’t and doesn’t’t do anyone any favors constantly claiming “POVERTY!” which at the same time signals to people that we’re poor and will never be “rich” and then constantly leans on the same people (the fans/alumni) over and over again asking for more more more more while cutting big pieces out of the true culture of ISU fans.
Yes.

I would add more, but I don't want to take this thread away from the premium vs non-premium discussion, or drown out the blood pledge Stormin seeks on TJ.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Yes.

I would add more, but I don't want to take this thread away from the premium vs non-premium discussion, or drown out the blood pledge Stormin seeks on TJ.

Love living rent free in your mind. But your mind is a very small space.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Love living rent free in your mind. But your mind is a very small space.
I think you overestimate what it takes to remember Stormin is a nut that should not be taken seriously on MBB. Do you have such recall issues? That would make sense, actually.

• Dumb
Reactions: Stormin

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I googled synonyms of crappy and thought that word would make me seem smart. A better way to sound smart would be to be smart.
Edit: this was to @Mr.G.Spot post:
"Again, u have every right to your opinion. A lot ot conversation and words over a $7/month rational is too much to spend

Congratulations on increasing your numbers to ISU.

Somebody please point out hard evidence why our contributions are so dismal to athletics."

Not post originally quoted.

The point is, it is not just the $7 here. Its the extra $5, one place, $10, the next, $25 over here, and $50 there. Then we talk about how the cost of everything is going up, and all this adds up. Then we talk about how we all are trying to give to the Cyclones as much as we can. But we are supposed to "give" money to a forum that is getting ad revenue, for little to no extra content for a premium. Especially when there is a tiered premium that is a substantial premium jump with basically no content value, simply because it is the local guy. That is just charity.

I have a simple analogy for this. Several years ago, I lived in a small town. I needed a simple cable part. I looked on amazon, I could get 3 for $5, with prime shipping would be at my house in 2 days free.

But I thought well I will run up to the local Radio Shack and give them business, support local, and have it that day. I went there, they wanted $20 for a 1. I asked the clerk/owner why so much, and was told well that is the premium/cost for shopping local, and supporting the local guy. I said I understand supporting the local guy but at that huge difference you are never going to compete. People are fine with paying more to support local to a point, but paying way more for less of a product is never going to work. Especially, in days like this.
I walk out and ordered my part on amazon. I would have paid $5 for 1, meaning basically 3 times the Amazon price, but $20 for 1, compared to $5 for 3, yeah that is exactly the reason the local guys lose out.

Again this is an analogy but, this is how I see it here. I would pay the $5 for the limited amount of content available in the entire premium package, to support the local guy, it would still be mostly charity, because the increase in content really is not that great. But paying almost 3 times that price, at $12, for that limited amount, which is higher than many other major content providers with much much more content for the premium, I just call that being smart with my money.

Athletic sub is $1 per month for 6 months then $8
Espn+ is $5, or $12 for bundle with Disney+, Hulu
Apple+ is $5
Netflix is $10

The amount of content on these platforms vs cost is astronomical in comparison.

You are entitled to your opinion as well, but this is mine. And these are the reasons I choose to not be a premium member anymore. I gave it a try, and kept it for several months longer than I found any value in it.

Last edited:

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
The point is, it is not just the $7 here. Its the extra $5, one place, $10, the next, $25 over here, and $50 there. Then we talk about how the cost of everything is going up, and all this adds up. Then we talk about how we all are trying to give to the Cyclones as much as we can. But we are supposed to "give" money to a forum that is getting ad revenue, for little to no extra content for a premium. Especially when there is a tiered premium that is a substantial premium jump with basically no content value, simply because it is the local guy. That is just charity.

I have a simple analogy for this. Several years ago, I lived in a small town. I needed a simple cable part. I looked on amazon, I could get 3 for $5, with prime shipping would be at my house in 2 days free.

But I thought well I will run up to the local Radio Shack and give them business, support local, and have it that day. I went there, they wanted $20 for a 1. I asked the clerk/owner why so much, and was told well that is the premium/cost for shopping local, and supporting the local guy. I said I understand supporting the local guy but at that huge difference you are never going to compete. People are fine with paying more to support local to a point, but paying way more for less of a product is never going to work. Especially, in days like this.
I walk out and ordered my part on amazon. I would have paid $5 for 1, meaning basically 3 times the Amazon price, but $20 for 1, compared to $5 for 3, yeah that is exactly the reason the local guys lose out.

Again this is an analogy but, this is how I see it here. I would pay the $5 for the limited amount of content available in the entire premium package, to support the local guy, it would still be mostly charity, because the increase in content really is not that great. But paying almost 3 times that price, at $12, for that limited amount, which is higher than many other major content providers with much much more content for the premium, I just call that being smart with my money.

Athletic sub is $1 per month for 6 months then $8
Espn+ is $5, or $12 for bundle with Disney+, Hulu
Apple+ is $5
Netflix is $10

The amount of content on these platforms vs cost is astronomical in comparison.

You are entitled to your opinion as well, but this is mine. And these are the reasons I choose to not be a premium member anymore. I gave it a try, and kept it for several months longer than I found any value in it.
I'm not sure that you responded to the correct post. I don't think I stated an opinion one way or the other. Anyways, I actually agree with your rather long-winded explanation. It kind of reminds me of my wife trying to decide which throw pillows to decorate the couch with.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I'm not sure that you responded to the correct post. I don't think I stated an opinion one way or the other. Anyways, I actually agree with your rather long-winded explanation. It kind of reminds me of my wife trying to decide which throw pillows to decorate the couch with.
LOL, you are right, I dont know how it replied to yours, it was in response to another response to one of my posts. Strange. LOL. Sorry, might have just hit the wrong reply without noticing, was trying to have a separate conversation while I was typing so....dont think it worked out well.

Yes Kind of long winded though.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Some levity can't hurt-

Dr. Geezer​

An old geezer got bored in retirement and decided to open a medical clinic. He put up a sign that said “Dr. Geezer’s clinic: Get your treatment for $500, if not cured, get back $1000.”

Dr. Young, who was positive that this old geezer didn’t know beans about medicine, thought this would be a great opportunity to win $1000. He went to Dr. Geezer’s clinic and says, “Dr. Geezer, I have lost all taste in my mouth. Can you please help me?”

Dr. Geezer calls out, “Nurse, please bring medicine from box 22 and put 3 drops in Dr. Young’s mouth.”

Dr. Young yells, “Aaagh! This is gasoline!”

Dr. Geezer replies, “Congratulations! You’ve got your taste back, that will be $500.”

Dr. Young gets annoyed and returns a couple days later with another plan to recover his money. He enters the clinic and says, “I have lost my memory, I cannot remember anything.”

Dr. Geezer calls out, “Nurse, please bring medicine from box 22 and put 3 drops in Dr. Young’s mouth.”

Dr. Young yells, “Oh no you don’t, that’s gasoline!”

Dr. Geezer replies, “Congratulations, you’ve got your memory back, that will be $500.”

Dr. Young, angry after losing $1000, comes back after several more days. He enters the clinic and says, “My eyesight has become weak, I cannot see anything!”

Dr. Geezer replies, “Well, I don’t have any medicine for that, so here’s your $1000 back,” and hands Dr. Young a $10 bill.

Dr. Young quickly yells, “Hey, this is only $10!”

Dr. Geezer replies, “Congratulations, you’ve got your vision back, that will be $500.”

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Why are you friends with Marty Tirell?

• Haha
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron