Student Section Moving

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I feel for the displaced families.

When I suggested just switching the students with same seats on the other side of the field, I was told the donors would flip out if they had their eyes in the sun. Having sat in cheap seats on both sides, this wouldn’t be a big deal to me as sometimes as it gets colder, that extra warmth on east side is a plus and I have sunglasses, but it matters to some people.

Not being able to seat my family together would be a bigger deal to me. When my five boys were young, those actual hill hillsides were a blessing. We could afford to take them all to games, even while penny pinching so we could eventually help them through college. As long as nothing weird happens in the next couple of weeks, four of them will have ISU degrees, and the other, who attended college elsewhere, did intern a summer at Ames Lab. They fell in love with the university at a young age. Hilton was never that accessible.

Having paid our last U-bill and become “donors” for a lot less money than the year we paid student fees with three boys at ISU at the same time, we have more options now where we sit but will probably stay in our non donor section for now. More room and we like who we sit by. I do wonder though if after this year when they inevitably turn the old student section into donor seats, if the more fair thing to do is reseat all the non donor seats by priority points. I realize the displaced ticket holders must prefer SE to SW, but it might make seating large families together still possible. I do not think there are enough nondonor seats available for everyone based on what is taken when we get to choose, but letting people in SE with more points boot people from reupping old seats who have less points seems more fair. Also would make more people mad though.

Reactions: NWICY

CircumCYZ

Jan 15, 2013
Im liking this for an advantage in overtime possibly. You’ve got a drunk crazy student section next to the only section selling beer to the masses. I feel like that’ll be one loud side of the field and could factor into choosing a side in overtime.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
After 2022???? Cyclone club also limits the number of seats you can get in the more expensive sections.

I am currently a donor but we have 11 tickets in the non donor section so we can sit together as a family. I can't justify paying four five six hundred dollars for football ticket for myself. Those sections made it affordable for families to attend football games. Also you're limited to how many seats you can get in the donor sections section.
You are not limited to what you can buy. The only limit is how many seats are available. If you want 6 seats in the 1000 section you donate 500 more and you can have 6 tickets.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

UKCyclone

Feb 7, 2012
I was a student who fought for spots during the Chizik and McDermott era's. If we aren't prioritizing students we are doing it wrong.

Reactions: carvers4math

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Not to replace the hundreds of seats they are switching.
Everyone needs to relax, there are PLENTY of open non donor seats. Section 40, ZZ and Z will be non donor sections. The non donor sections In the upper deck of the SE and SW end zones aren't even close to full in season tickets. Not sure about last year but historically sections A and B have not been close to full with season tickets. Opening up sections 39, 38, and 37 is a nice opportunity for people who want to upgrade their seats. Believe it or not but there are plenty of fans sitting in non donor sections that would upgrade tot the donor sections if the opportunity was right.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I feel for the displaced families.

When I suggested just switching the students with same seats on the other side of the field, I was told the donors would flip out if they had their eyes in the sun. Having sat in cheap seats on both sides, this wouldn’t be a big deal to me as sometimes as it gets colder, that extra warmth on east side is a plus and I have sunglasses, but it matters to some people.

Not being able to seat my family together would be a bigger deal to me. When my five boys were young, those actual hill hillsides were a blessing. We could afford to take them all to games, even while penny pinching so we could eventually help them through college. As long as nothing weird happens in the next couple of weeks, four of them will have ISU degrees, and the other, who attended college elsewhere, did intern a summer at Ames Lab. They fell in love with the university at a young age. Hilton was never that accessible.

Having paid our last U-bill and become “donors” for a lot less money than the year we paid student fees with three boys at ISU at the same time, we have more options now where we sit but will probably stay in our non donor section for now. More room and we like who we sit by. I do wonder though if after this year when they inevitably turn the old student section into donor seats, if the more fair thing to do is reseat all the non donor seats by priority points. I realize the displaced ticket holders must prefer SE to SW, but it might make seating large families together still possible. I do not think there are enough nondonor seats available for everyone based on what is taken when we get to choose, but letting people in SE with more points boot people from reupping old seats who have less points seems more fair. Also would make more people mad though.

lol it's a football stadium seating chart - not a warzone.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Out of curiosity how did the athletic department handle your situation when they switched sides?
So when we moved the season ticket holders in the impacted sections got first choice on seat location in sections 15 and 16 as those were the old visitors seats. You were assigned a selection window based on priority points/donation levels.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I guess I'm in the minority here but I actually think that moving the students will create a pretty cool gameday atmosphere. That south end will be LOUD.
I still hope they remedy the audio system so I don't need to learn lipreading to converse with our seatmates.

alenz95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames
That seals the deal. I am no longer an Iowa State fan. I’ve been a fan since 1995 and a season ticket holder since 2013. I officially will not be renewing my plan next season nor will I watch on tv ever again. Instead, I will be taking my fandom to Iowa City where they know how to manage a student section.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I think this is a great move by the administration and future forward thinking. I sit in section T and will be impacted and couldn't care less! We've been trying for years to get our 8 together and this will allow that to happen! Will we have to probably pay more in 2023? Sure we will but if I want to keep looking across the stadium to see Matt Campbell on the sidelines. I'm OK with it!

To those ******** about getting moved I have some perspective for you. My parents sat for years 50 yard line top row under the press box (the old one, not the one we all want replaced now) As a kid I napped underneath the overhang of that box for a lot of really bad football games. Gene Smith came to town and told them that they would need to up their donations 1000%. My Dad was irate, wrote letters to the AD, Regents and coaches because he had his seats since the stadium opened and he was just a teacher and alumni that could never afford it.

We got moved to section B and as much as it sucked to not see the game from the 50, the product looked a hell of a lot better and the facilities got better. What didn't change is memories we made and our love for ISU football! We even got to go to a few bowl games afterwards and have some better memories!

Change sucks but if our administration wasn't trying to generate more money for the athletic department they wouldn't be doing their job and my dad would still be trying to say the 1977 Peach Bowl was the best bowl experience he's ever had. So morale of the story is no matter where you sit, enjoy those few Saturdays in the fall in the lots and the stadium because being there and making those memories is why we come back!

Also if you want to keep your 11 seats together I would bet that they would be glad to accommodate.

Sorry for the long rant of what I believe is my first post. Go Cyclones!
Your basketball user name combined with your football avatar made me laugh. :)

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
That seals the deal. I am no longer an Iowa State fan. I’ve been a fan since 1995 and a season ticket holder since 2013. I officially will not be renewing my plan next season nor will I watch on tv ever again. Instead, I will be taking my fandom to Iowa City where they know how to manage a student section.
/sarcasm?

• Optimistic
Reactions: VeloClone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
eddiemurphyyesnodapprov.gif