Hoyt Sherman Place

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm going to be buying tickets for a show there that go on sale at 10.00a. I was looking at the seats in the presale last night but didn't have the code to buy. We've never been there. There were a lot of seats still available at the end of the presale, and I was wondering if anyone can advise us as to whether it would be best to sit in the first couple of rows of the balcony or around the 12-15th row downstairs (which the seat guide says are directly below the front row of the balcony). I doubt there will be a lot of people standing during the concert as it's a group of bands from the 60s.

When making suggestions, please take into account the fact that I am very short, and the wall in front of the seats in the balcony looks really tall in the pictures.

TIA!

For reference:
1649421722762.png
1649421789363.png

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I've attended many concerts there and always sit on the floor probably in the 12-15 row range.

My wife is 5'4 and she's never had any issues being able to see when people stand up. I think people sit down there for a majority of the shows I've been to.

Getting out of your row to go to the bathroom has seemed to be the biggest problem. The rows are really tight to get in and out of.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've attended many concerts there and always sit on the floor probably in the 12-15 row range.

My wife is 5'4 and she's never had any issues being able to see when people stand up. I think people sit down there for a majority of the shows I've been to.

Getting out of your row to go to the bathroom has seemed to be the biggest problem. The rows are really tight to get in and out of.
And I don't know about the women's but the there's a mens bathroom single under the stairs that is just brutally small and always has a line.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013

I'm 5'1". Believe it or not, those three inches make a lot of difference. Plus, I'm comparatively short in the torso because of my back issues, so I sit really low. :(

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've gone to several shows at Hoyt Sherman. I'm 5'2", so pretty similar.

I've sat on the floor for most of them. It's got a pretty good incline, so usually I'm fine unless there's someone exorbitantly tall in front of me. However, if you're worried, you can get the first couple of rows in the balcony and be certain.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
There isn't a bad seat in Hoyt regardless of your size. The floor is a good incline and the balcony wall is not that tall, it certainly won't block your view of the stage.

Reactions: Mr Janny and Angie

HoibergIsMyHero

Mar 15, 2014
I’ve sat in both the balcony and floor multiple times and much prefer the floor. Where you are looking is great. Amazing venue though - enjoy!

Reactions: Angie

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Been there a few times sat in the first couple rows balcony just off center and lined those seats. Also been on the floor as well, my wife is 5’3 and the balcony in the first row or two was good. It’s a great venue go early to get some beers at Lua brewery and also to walk around and check the history out of the place.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
It's a really small theater style venue with great seats everywhere.

• Winner

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I've gone to several shows at Hoyt Sherman. I'm 5'2", so pretty similar.

I've sat on the floor for most of them. It's got a pretty good incline, so usually I'm fine unless there's someone exorbitantly tall in front of me. However, if you're worried, you can get the first couple of rows in the balcony and be certain.
The last time I looked last night, there were seats on the sides, on the interior aisle. I figured if I bought a pair of aisle seats, the angle would mean that I wouldn't have a head directly in front of me. :D

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The last time I looked last night, there were seats on the sides, on the interior aisle. I figured if I bought a pair of aisle seats, the angle would mean that I wouldn't have a head directly in front of me. :D

I did that for John Mulaney when he was here a few years back. It works - I got them in the second row, however, and it was a bit of an odd angle. If you go on the sides, I'd recommend maybe halfway back!

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I did that for John Mulaney when he was here a few years back. It works - I got them in the second row, however, and it was a bit of an odd angle. If you go on the sides, I'd recommend maybe halfway back!
These were around row10-12, sec B, interior aisle...it showed more of a bend in the seating chart on ticketmaster but looks like the aisle is straight here.

1649424523868.png

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
It is a great venue for concerts, but I try to get the end seat of any row. I am 6-2 and there isn't a lot of leg room in between the seats.

Have a good time. Like people have said, not a bad seat in the house

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
And I don't know about the women's but the there's a mens bathroom single under the stairs that is just brutally small and always has a line.

The bathroom situation for women is also not awesome. It's a lot less hassle to go to the upstairs one rather than wait for the tiny downstairs one over by where they sell drinks (under the stairs).

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
It's like my 2nd home. Been to probably over 20 events there. Pretty much have paid higher prices to be among first few rows. I always make sure I get a seat on the aisle as being the middle is a pain.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Drive by Truckers show?
Nope. Even cornier. :D

"Happy Together" tour. We saw them around 10 years ago at the State Fair Grandstand.

Lineup this time includes Flo & Eddie from The Turtles (natch!), The Association, The Grass Roots, The Box Tops, The Classics IV and The Cowsills.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Great venue as others have said but if you're a larger than average person the seats are small. I consider myself to be pretty average sized 5' 10" and 210# and the seats seem a little small for me.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Nope. Even cornier. :D

"Happy Together" tour. We saw them around 10 years ago at the State Fair Grandstand.

Lineup this time includes Flo & Eddie from The Turtles (natch!), The Association, The Grass Roots, The Box Tops, The Classics IV and The Cowsills.

Can't believe I didn't hear about this act coming earlier. As someone who grew up on music of my parents I love pretty much all these groups.

Reactions: ImJustKCClone