Huggins commentary video links

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
Seth Davis is just a wannabe! Where did he ever play college basketball? Just a journalist turned know it all! LOL!

Reactions: aauummm

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Of course he was. We need more coaches or people with detailed knowledge of the game to analyze these games instead of people like Seth Davis who think WI is a better program than ISU so they should always win. Or ISU wasn’t any good last year so they shouldn’t be good this year. Huggy Bear is actually in the trenches and sees so much more.
Aside from his terrible delivery, Huggins knowledge sure didn’t shine through.

“Some days some players have better games than others.”

“Coach what do you expect to see in the Texas game tonight?” “Ball screens. A lot of ball screens. Texas likes to run ball screens.”

I think you could find any old drunk off the street to tell you this in an agonizingly boring fashion. Huggins was awful.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Said it in another thread but he basically mic dropped the other studio folks and then it was like the producers said something in their ear pieces because they had to get back on track to keep pushing the WI angle after about 5 seconds of silence.
This was absolutely awesome. Huggy Bear totally blew up the "Wisconsin lost because their guard got hurt" narrative.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I just want to know who was the guy that thought those 4 people would make a good half time crew. I think Huggy would be better if he wasn’t paired with someone like Rex Chapman.

Amazing how leaving n’t off wasn’t changes what you are saying totally.

Last edited:

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Of course he was. We need more coaches or people with detailed knowledge of the game to analyze these games instead of people like Seth Davis who think WI is a better program than ISU so they should always win. Or ISU wasn’t any good last year so they shouldn’t be good this year. Huggy Bear is actually in the trenches and sees so much more.
Seth Davis is the absolute worst. How in the hell does he get on TV? Almost as bad as his brother Reece. Those two idiots hate Iowa State.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Did you hear Huggins after the TCU game? They asked him, "Do you think Arizona fouled there?" They were referring to the body check at half court that made TCU lose the ball with a few seconds left instead of taking the potentially game winning shot? Once again, he went against the studio narrative of pumping #1 Arizona, and said simpy, "Looked like a foul to me." Mic drop. Awkward pause.

Essentially, he said that the opportunity to win the game was stolen from TCU by the refs no-call, even though everyone else was singing Arizona's praises.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
He's the Roy Kent of basketball announcing.
da3009b948eb2103f8fec449c0b34ed8e5801be5.gifv

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Aside from his terrible delivery, Huggins knowledge sure didn’t shine through.

“Some days some players have better games than others.”

“Coach what do you expect to see in the Texas game tonight?” “Ball screens. A lot of ball screens. Texas likes to run ball screens.”

I think you could find any old drunk off the street to tell you this in an agonizingly boring fashion. Huggins was awful.

He basically just said whatever the F he wanted on the show and completely ignored whatever question was thrown his way. At halftime, he was asked about the WI player's injury:

"Coach, what do you say to a team that loses a key player like that in the first half? How do you help them maintain composure?"

"You know, I can't remember ever seeing so many bunnies get missed in an NCAA tournament. I can't count how many times guys are missing shots right at the rim in this tournament. Guys need to start making some shots."

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
He basically just said whatever the F he wanted on the show and completely ignored whatever question was thrown his way. At halftime, he was asked about the WI player's injury:

"Coach, what do you say to a team that loses a key player like that in the first half? How do you help them maintain composure?"

"You know, I can't remember ever seeing so many bunnies get missed in an NCAA tournament. I can't count how many times guys are missing shots right at the rim in this tournament. Guys need to start making some shots."
But I think that is what Huggins would say to his team. He wouldn’t dwell on an injury, he would tell them to stop missing bunnies.

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I actually thought he was great. Insightful and no hype BS. But I hate fake people so maybe it’s a me thing.
I'm 100% in the same court. But his delivery is so slow he is not made for that type of a show. I would listen to a full hour show on him analyzing games and the state of the sport. But not for a quick paced show trying to hit on multiple teams. You don't need to be fake to be good in this, just be alive.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
But I think that is what Huggins would say to his team. He wouldn’t dwell on an injury, he would tell them to stop missing bunnies.

You know, that's a really good point. He probably wouldn't even acknowledge that it happened because in his mind it doesn't matter. Just focus on winning and forget what happened in the first half.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
the best halftime studio analysis I ever saw was from Barkley. He had only recently retired and it was a Lakers/Kings playoff game the year the Kings were awesome and got screwed by officials.

Rick Fox had been playing very dirty defense on Kings star Peja Stojakovic. The more professional commentators gave long analysis and Chuck simply says one sentence:
"Rick Fox is in Peja's aaaaaaaaaaass"

Instant cut to commercial before he even finished the long aaaaaaaass end of his sentence.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Seth Davis is the absolute worst. How in the hell does he get on TV? Almost as bad as his brother Reece. Those two idiots hate Iowa State.

I don't want this to take us to the cave, but Seth's Dad is Lanny Davis, former special counsel to former President Bill Clinton. I'd imagine that didn't hurt.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Huggins was so bad. My favorite was when he said “some days some players will have better days than others.”

Unfortunately that’s the hard part for fans to stomach, and coaches know the truth about. It’s way more of a factor than “inbounds plays” and “Xs & O’s”. Especially when it gets to conference grind season and to this time of year.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm