***WBB: CYCLONE 2023 Recruiting Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
What are you hearing on Crooks?
Does ISU like its chances?
Has Crooks even visited Iowa? I know she's visited Iowa State at least three times and probably a lot more than that. She was at a football game a couple of years ago and a basketball game prior to that, and also visited when Bristow did. She may have been at a football game again last year, but not sure on that.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What are you hearing on Crooks?
Does ISU like its chances?

Would be interested to hear how hard Iowa is recruiting her. Jensen was able to develop unranked three-star Czinano into first team All-Big 10. Relevant to Crooks who seems to projected as a bit of a project.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Has Crooks even visited Iowa? I know she's visited Iowa State at least three times and probably a lot more than that. She was at a football game a couple of years ago and a basketball game prior to that, and also visited when Bristow did. She may have been at a football game again last year, but not sure on that.
Yes. I read somewhere she has visited Iowa (at least once) and WI last Fall.

On edit: First, Crooks said he plans to make at least 3 more unofficial visits in the near future: Minnesota, Oklahoma, and Maryland. The latter two clearly require more rigorous flights and planning. These visits will come after his (sic) last fall trips to Iowa, Iowa (State), Michigan, and Wisconsin.

Last edited:

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
Would be interested to hear how hard Iowa is recruiting her. Jensen was able to develop unranked three-star Czinano into first team All-Big 10. Seem relevant to Crooks who seems to projected as a bit of a project.
Iowa coaching staff met with Crooks in Algona on March 9th
1647564183153.png

• Informative
Reactions: BoxsterCy

jockstrap

Feb 13, 2013
Sounds like Iowa is in good with family on Crooks. ISU is offering starting position as freshman though.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Took a gander at one of the Hawk sites and saw this video of Audi Crooks talking about herself and basketball etc. Was pretty cool and thought it worth sharing here.

Reactions: Junejax

WartburgClone

Mar 14, 2022
I see Addy Brown's Derby HS team lost in the Kansas State 6A Championship game, 40-23. They won their semi-final game 51-49 in double OT. The Derby PG is another Division 1 commit, so there's talent on the squad. It seems they have difficulty scoring points - is Kansas HS girl's basketball as rugged defensively as the Big XII? :)
Do they have a shot clock?

ChiClone22

Mar 19, 2022
Would be interested to hear how hard Iowa is recruiting her. Jensen was able to develop unranked three-star Czinano into first team All-Big 10. Relevant to Crooks who seems to projected as a bit of a project.

After watching Macee Williams (IUPUI - 4X conference player of the year) last night against Oklahoma, it is easy to see how Audi Crooks could be a similar or better player. Williams, like Crooks, has good hands and strength down low that forces a double team on offense and anchors the defense.

With three point shooters around her, Crooks would be an excellent Big 12 player and would fit in well and only improve ISU's three point shooting (along with anchoring the middle on defense).

And for us old-timers, a player with a similar build, Courtney Paris, faired OK in our conference (and in the Final Four) as well [Paris was a four-time All American and had averages of ~ 21 points and 15 rebounds per game for her career at Oklahoma. She holds the NCAA record for most consecutive double-doubles at 112.]

Adding Crooks to an already excellent recruiting class would keep Iowa State women's basketball in the top tier nationally for years to come.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
After watching Macee Williams (IUPUI - 4X conference player of the year) last night against Oklahoma, it is easy to see how Audi Crooks could be a similar or better player. Williams, like Crooks, has good hands and strength down low that forces a double team on offense and anchors the defense.

With three point shooters around her, Crooks would be an excellent Big 12 player and would fit in well and only improve ISU's three point shooting (along with anchoring the middle on defense).

And for us old-timers, a player with a similar build, Courtney Paris, faired OK in our conference (and in the Final Four) as well [Paris was a four-time All American and had averages of ~ 21 points and 15 rebounds per game for her career at Oklahoma. She holds the NCAA record for most consecutive double-doubles at 112.]

Adding Crooks to an already excellent recruiting class would keep Iowa State women's basketball in the top tier nationally for years to come.
Same type build, but Paris has a couple extra inches over Audie.

Buckminster

Nov 10, 2017
After our four verbals, we have between 1 and 3 open scholarships for the 23-24 season, depending on whether Kane and MEM do an extra COVID year.

Updated chart: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SchN2JjgScfcUINEeAMyJAwyzbez5HBjinofEVovom0/edit?usp=sharing
I thought that Izzy was considered a true Freshman this year because her short time on the squad last season did not count against her eligibility. But I guess she wouldn't have the option of the COVID year?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I thought that Izzy was considered a true Freshman this year because her short time on the squad last season did not count against her eligibility. But I guess she wouldn't have the option of the COVID year?
Length of time doesn't matter unless there's a medical redshirt involved. She is officially a sophomore eligibility-wise (no different from Ryan/Lexi/Aubrey), but the school is calling her a freshman because it's assumed she'll be using her COVID year given her situation.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Length of time doesn't matter unless there's a medical redshirt involved. She is officially a sophomore eligibility-wise (no different from Ryan/Lexi/Aubrey), but the school is calling her a freshman because it's assumed she'll be using her COVID year given her situation.

Yup, that was the whole, nothing to lose part of being able to enroll at the semester. Was a free year, use it or lose it.

Reactions: acoustimac

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Looks like Crooks will be committing tomorrow. Uneducated guess think she will be heading to Iowa City due to their recent success of bigs. Anyone heard anything else?

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
if by uneducated, you mean the posters on the Iowa Rivals basketball board, who think every recruit is going to Iowa, I would agree. However, my gut feeling is that Crooks is going to the good guys.

Reactions: Buster28