Big 12 Expansion (new thread)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
While personally I would like to add ISU the value to the big ten just isn't there as it would be for other conferences and Kansas has zero value. If the big ten expands it will poach the top teams from the PAC or the premier schools from the ACC. That being said the Big ten doesn't want to expand at all.
If ESPN/Fox remain the media partners (ESPN will likely be dropped), I agree the B10 likely doesn't expand. If ESPN is replaced by a new partner who is willing to pay a premium for additional inventory from 16 schools, the odds of expansion significantly increase.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Yep, long overdue for the Big Ten. There is another proposal on the table to rebalance every few years but for simplicity’s sake abandoning divisions is expected to win out.
It's stupid and will devalue the conference package for Fox and other potential bidders with the reduction in conference matchup inventory. B10 loses all games to ESPN played at ACC venues and those will not be made by any high profile matchup with Clemson or FSU at a B10 venue. Same deal with the P12 especially if ESPN retains a portion of their rights.

Elimination of divisions is overdue but reducing the number of conference games will still make the CCG matchups a mockery that will be based moreso on SOS and not on the quality of the top two teams.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
How does that work? 13 conference opponents, but only play 8? So would it be a full rotation shift annually? That is a nightmare to schedule I'd think.

More likely to be something like a 3+5 - every school has three protected games and then rotates through 5 of the remaining 10. So something like: Iowa plays Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin every year, plus 5 of the other 10. You play everyone once every two years and get them at home once every four.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Definitely makes our path to Indy much, much tougher, but I'm all for it. It's actually very rough news for anyone hoping for an invite to an expanding B1G, this would all but rule expansion out any time soon.

Long way to go on the TV deals and making CFP expansion actually happen but sure seems like everyone is pretty comfy with their conference affiliations at the moment. It doesn't feel like the August scramble to find a landing spot around here, that's for sure.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Definitely makes our path to Indy much, much tougher, but I'm all for it. It's actually very rough news for anyone hoping for an invite to an expanding B1G, this would all but rule expansion out any time soon.
Expansion to 16 with 4 team scheduling pods fixes the FB scheduling issues for the B10 while increasing the value of the conference inventory for bidders of the TV package. With 16, every school plays a home and home against all other schools within a 4 year window in a 9 game conference schedule.

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Expansion to 16 with 4 team scheduling pods fixes the FB scheduling issues for the B10 while increasing the value of the conference inventory for bidders of the TV package. With 16, every school plays a home and home against all other schools within a 4 year window.

Did they talk about four-team pods in the article? I only got part of it.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
It's stupid and will devalue the conference package for Fox and other potential bidders with the reduction in conference matchup inventory. B10 loses all games to ESPN played at ACC venues and those will not be made by any high profile matchup with Clemson or FSU at a B10 venue. Same deal with the P12 especially if ESPN retains a portion of their rights.

Elimination of divisions is overdue but reducing the number of conference games will still make the CCG matchups a mockery that will be based moreso on SOS and not on the quality of the top two teams.

I'm no expert on TV rights but if you're swapping out one conference game for another game against a P5 opponent, isn't that essentially a wash?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Anyone west of Lake Michigan ain't making that championship game. That also isn't going to increase the strength of schedules in most scenarios for the BIG. The ACC is largely trash after Clemson right now and the PAC12 is the red-headed stepchild of the P5.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I'm no expert on TV rights but if you're swapping out one conference game for another game against a P5 opponent, isn't that essentially a wash?

That's what I was thinking. A decade ago, when most conferences went form 8 to 9 conference games, it was to increase valuable inventory for the media companies to bid on in place of another cupcake game. But if its to add another P5 school, I could see it being slightly more valuable.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Not from a network perspective. As pointed out in my post, Fox will lose all B10 non con games played at ACC venues to ESPN who holds all of the ACC rights. Same deal with the P12 but to a lesser extent but only if Fox retains a portion of the P12 rights. Also, the value of a Wake Forest game at Northwestern is significantly less for Fox/BTN than a Purdue at Northwestern game that could be lost due to the reduction to 8 conference games. And there are numerous other games like it (Wazzu at Iowa vs Purdue at Iowa).

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Not from a network perspective. As pointed out in my post, Fox will lose all B10 non con games played at ACC venues to ESPN who holds all of the ACC rights. Same deal with the P12 but to a lesser extent but only if Fox retains a portion of the P12 rights. Also, the value of a Wake Forest game at Northwestern is significantly less for Fox/BTN than a Purdue at Northwestern game that could be lost due to the reduction to 8 conference games. And there are numerous other games like it (Wazzu at Iowa vs Purdue at Iowa).

From an inventory perspective, it would still be a wash. When you play a conference game, two teams are playing in one game, thus one TV timeslot. In an out of conference game, those same two teams are now playing in different games, thus two TV timeslots. While the media company may loose out on the away game being on their network, they would still get the same number of games. The difference is, at least I think, out of conference games may generate more interest and thus viewers because its something different.

• Winner
Reactions: Hoggins

20eyes

May 15, 2020
O SNAP!!! Gonzo just said F&CK YOU to the ISU fans wanting a B1G invite. :(

• Funny
Reactions: JM4CY

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
More likely to be something like a 3+5 - every school has three protected games and then rotates through 5 of the remaining 10. So something like: Iowa plays Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin every year, plus 5 of the other 10. You play everyone once every two years and get them at home once every four.
I imagine every team wants Nebraska on their protected list.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I imagine every team wants Nebraska on their protected list.

I'll take a stab at this, while I am ignoring some work. Some fillers that are meaningless but mostly protecting rivalries here and then thinking about what makes sense.

Illinois: Ohio State, Northwestern, Purdue

Indiana: Michigan State, Purdue, Rutgers

Iowa: Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin

Maryland: Northwestern, Penn State, Rutgers

Michigan: Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State

Michigan State: Indiana, Michigan, Penn State

Minnesota: Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin

Nebraska: Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin

Northwestern: Illinois, Maryland, Nebraska

Ohio State: Illinois, Michigan, Penn State

Penn State: Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State

Purdue: Illinois, Indiana, Rutgers