NET Rankings

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I don't understand how Texas and toe are rated higher.
Iowa won at Virginia, played a close true road game against the current #1, and have blown the doors off all the other competition they have played. The teams ISU has beat haven't exactly been helping them out, and ISU has had a few close games at home to some bad teams. All that stuff is factored in to the score. As excited as we all were for the OSU win, they are turning out to be terrible and only beating them by 10 isn't doing us any favors in these rankings.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Iowa won at Virginia, played a close true road game against the current #1, and have blown the doors off all the other competition they have played. The teams ISU has beat haven't exactly been helping them out, and ISU has had a few close games at home to some bad teams. All that stuff is factored in to the score. As excited as we all were for the OSU win, they are turning out to be terrible and only beating them by 10 isn't doing us any favors in these rankings.

Yeah, OSU is #261. That's basically a low major type NET rating. They are flanked by Dixie State and UT Arlington in the rankings.

Xavier at #30 really helps us. Creighton is #89 - we really need them to step it up, because if they get into the top 75 (should be doable) that makes them a Q1 win and the team sheet looks a lot better.

Again though, #20 I'll take it.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Yeah, OSU is #261. That's basically a low major type NET rating. They are flanked by Dixie State and UT Arlington in the rankings.

Xavier at #30 really helps us. Creighton is #89 - we really need them to step it up, because if they get into the top 75 (should be doable) that makes them a Q1 win and the team sheet looks a lot better.

Again though, #20 I'll take it.
Yep, the Xavier win is going to be the gift that keeps on gifting. Memphis will help if they right the ship and actually start playing as a team. Creighton will be solid, but they are really young and the BEAST will rip young teams a new one by the end of the season. ISU simply needs to keep improving...the offense will really play the key role here as the defense has been rock solid consistent. Just win...

Reactions: CycoCyclone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yep, the Xavier win is going to be the gift that keeps on gifting. Memphis will help if they right the ship and actually start playing as a team. Creighton will be solid, but they are really young and the BEAST will rip new teams a new one by the end of the season. ISU simply needs to keep improving...the offense will really play the key role here as the defense has been rock solid consistent. Just win...

Starting with Iowa on Thursday. Honestly I'm not somebody that gets into the importance of beating them on some sort of emotional level, but this noncon schedule right now which I thought was going to be really tough just is pretty weak. That's our last chance for a statement win in the noncon. But again everything this team is accomplishing should be celebrated.

Reactions: aobie and WhoISthis

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

For NET purposes, beating them by 10 is better than 9, but no different than 50.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Starting with Iowa on Thursday. Honestly I'm not somebody that gets into the importance of beating them on some sort of emotional level, but this noncon schedule right now which I thought was going to be really tough just is pretty weak. That's our last chance for a statement win in the noncon. But again everything this team is accomplishing should be celebrated.
Probably good the non-con was on the lighter side. Don't really need wins there when you have the Big 12. Every night will be a chance to get a signature win.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Two neutral site games with Xavier and Memphis, one road game vs Creighton, home game vs Iowa, home game vs P6 (Oregon State), home game vs P6 (Missouri) may not be considered very tough, but I don't believe it will be considered weak at the end of the year when it matters. Satisfactory, IMO, especially with a great record against it, and the extreme schedule difficulty that will be the Big 12 season.

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Two neutral site games with Xavier and Memphis, one road game vs Creighton, home game vs Iowa, home game vs P6 (Oregon State), home game vs P6 (Missouri) may not be considered very tough, but I don't believe it will be considered weak at the end of the year when it matters. Satisfactory, IMO, especially with a great record against it, and the extreme schedule difficulty that will be the Big 12 season.

I've read where the fact that all of the "scrub" teams are 300+ really hurts our SOS, but do ADs really know if Arkansas-Pine Bluff is going to be #326 or #251 before the season starts? That's always confused me.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

Our Oregon St win is going to be a Q4 win here shortly.. I think they're 1-8.

Missouri will be a Q3 win, probably.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Our Oregon St win is going to be a Q4 win here shortly.. I think they're 1-8.

Missouri will be a Q3 win, probably.

Okay, but we're #20 as is, with a murderous strength of schedule coming up in conference season. Absolutely no reason to be concerned unless we go 7-11 in conference or worse.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Okay, but we're #20 as is, with a murderous strength of schedule coming up in conference season. Absolutely no reason to be concerned unless we go 7-11 in conference or worse.

Oh I don't disagree there. The big 12 in itself boosts our overall body of work.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

The Noncon SOS likely isn't going to be good and that won't change significantly. Overall SOS will be great, that's true.

OSU is putting together a season like we had last year. Mizzou isn't much behind. As far as NET ranking is concerned, right now beating Dixie State is better than beating OSU.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I've read where the fact that all of the "scrub" teams are 300+ really hurts our SOS, but do ADs really know if Arkansas-Pine Bluff is going to be #326 or #251 before the season starts? That's always confused me.

AD/coach could probably do an average NET estimate by conference and gauge it informally. No way to pinpoint exact slot, but could get a reliable/expected range.

I'm not sure to what length they go for scheduling purposes, but if you're getting SWAC/Southland/MEAC level opponents you could expect mid-250s or lower ... exception might be if there's an outlier standout program (Gonzaga in WCC; New Mexico State in WAC, et. al.)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I don't know how net ranking handles margin of victory but Iowa would be pretty elite if you look at margin of victory and ignore that only two games have been solid teams. They've blasted bad teams and close games with the good/great teams.

If we played @Purdue close without Brockington we'd all be over the moon at the effort.