*** Official Xavier vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Jan. 2000 through Dec. 2001

MBB Big 12 title
MBB Big 12 tournament title
MBB Elite Eight
FB Insight.com Bowl (9-3)
MBB Big 12 title
FB Independence Bowl (7-5)

(Plus a WBB conference title, 2 WBB conference tournament titles, a pair of WBB Sweet 16s, and a NCAA runner-up finish in WR in that span.)

I was 12 years old. My uncle, an ISU grad, told me “don’t get used to this.”

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Memphis may be a problem.
We're playing with house money. From a committee perspective (yes I said committee) we already came out of this tournament smelling like roses and raised our stock dramatically. A game with a top ten Memphis on a neutral court can't possibly hurt us whatsoever. It can only help. On that note, root for Memphis, even though they probably won't need it.

Basketball (Inhales deeply). Feels good man.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Jan. 2000 through Dec. 2001

MBB Big 12 title
MBB Big 12 tournament title
MBB Elite Eight
FB Insight.com Bowl (9-3)
MBB Big 12 title
FB Independence Bowl (7-5)

(Plus a WBB conference title, 2 WBB conference tournament titles, a pair of WBB Sweet 16s, and a NCAA runner-up finish in WR in that span.)

FWIW while they were a weird team they still won a Big 12 tourney and had some good moments...the 18-19 team followed the Alamo Bowl football season.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
This team is doing what many have been saying for years "play some defense!"

Now we are doing it, hustling and defense should be there every night, offense comes and goes, but not the other two.

Fun to watch us playing hard on every trip down the floor. Just a great team win.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Memphis game could be fun. We're playing with house money right now and nobody expects it to be a close game. Our defense might just allow us to hang around for a while. If so, watch out.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Ok, I think I was wrong about Memphis. I didn't realize they have two of the Top 5 freshman, they must have committed extremely late. They look like an NBA team out there.

Reactions: Clonefan94

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Memphis game could be fun. We're playing with house money right now and nobody expects it to be a close game. Our defense might just allow us to hang around for a while. If so, watch out.

And, like I said earlier, they will be playing with confidence. That's the best part. That's why beating a ****** Oregon State game is worth a lot more than just the win. It made these guys believe they could play with a Power 5 team. They believe they can win and that is fun to see.

• Agree
Reactions: awd4cy

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Couple random observations.

Memohis by far brought the most fans. Followed with a big gap then Xavier then ISU then a massive gap to Virginia tech. Like VT brought 40 people.

Memphis and Xavier are the only teams to bring cheerleaders and Memphis brought 3x as many plus their mascot.

Barclays Center is a very modern and dark arena. Most of the concessions are closed but the seruo Is fantastic.

Xavier fans just aren’t that friendly. Not mean. Just not that open to conversation compared to the other schools.

VT fans are the nicest

All the floor seats are taken by Upsie employees
and they don’t give a **** about any team and I still don’t understand what Upsie is.

Memphis’ and Iowa State’s pregame videos are light years ahead of both VTs and Xavier’s.

Hardaway looks way skinnier in person
Looks like it’s a website where you can purchase warranties for various devices?

Gives off big time scam vibes.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
I love George’s emotion and intensity but he needs to keep it under control, that is at least technical #2 (maybe 3 but don’t remember) on the season. We can’t afford him constantly being in foul trouble.
Kind of is what it is at this point. I was kind of hoping we would sit him until the last TV timeout of the half after his first.

On a brighter note he looks so much better and more engaged under TJ. He's literally twice as good as he was at any point since maybe the very beginning of his sophomore year. He's actually a pretty good 5 man and yeah it'd be nice to keep him on the court. He gets some silly fouls for sure but IMO he gets screwed more often on cheap BS ones too.

He doesn't get enough credit for his range on defense. He actually has the ability to get to just about everything on the floor and in the air and it backfires on him a lot because if he couldn't get there then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But he does, and he's always getting whistled right or wrong.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I caught the 2nd half of tonight's win over Xavier. I know Brockingon had the hot hand but I was most impressed with Hunter. That kid is a baller. Great to see ISU back to being an exciting team.

Welcome back from the abyss.
Brockington is going to have a lot of nights like tonight. He already has multiple times this year

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Who were the players running over to on the sideline after the game?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Thank goodness TJ was able to land Brockington. If I remember right, he was close to choosing Arkansas.