Vehicle reliability - best make/models?

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Our 2014 Honda CRV was bulletproof till totaled this summer (got hit while sitting at a traffic light). Replaced it with another one.

I was kind of worried about those when they went to CVTs in 2013, but they seem to be holding up really well.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
2014 Pilot zero problems so far.

The only thing I've noticed about those so far is that you need to keep the transmission fluid changed,. I've had a few of those (and odysseys) that have developed slipping issues that feel like intermittent engine misfires and chugging. So far, fluid changes have rectified the problem. Fluid looks fine, but it breaks down.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
They might also be known as “cornering headlights” or “curve lights”. They move as you make a turn, or go up or down based on speed
Having seen it firsthand, it's a pretty neat feature and you do notice the difference of having it... but as you would expect, they aren't super useful for a lot of flat, straight driving. They're cool either way and not really a negative thing to have, just not necessarily useful in all places.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Does anyone have a ride with the adaptive headlights. Any opinions or thoughts on the feature? I find my night vision declining constantly and was wondering if it was noticeable or just a way for manufacturers to score some cheap safety rating points?

My Volvo has adaptive headlights. I feel like they’re beneficial driving at higher speeds but I don’t do much of that unless it’s the winter and it’s dark on the way to and from work. It’s not something if search out as a feature but nice to have. The more important part is the light quality itself and the Volvo is fantastic.

Its also kind of cool when they move around when I start up the car.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I never drive a car that's not covered. We own a Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai, so given their reliability, the extended warranties probably aren't the smartest financial move on paper. But I tend to be a worrywart when it comes to unexpected auto repairs and expenses, so I view it more as paying for my day-to-day peace of mind. At my age, it's worth it.

This is kind of where we’re at. I bought the extended warranty on my wife’s traverse because being a Chevy, it scares me not having one. We’ve only had one issue which was the steering system and that was covered under the certified warranty. It’s nice having that safety blanket on it though.

The Volvo has a couple years left on an unlimited mile warranty that I believe can be extended through Volvo when it expires.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Considering what lousy engines those sludged up GDIs are, that's crazy, But stuff like that doesn't show up on JD Power initial quality studies.

If they're still showing up as tops in quality in older models, it's only because they're counting all defects as one and the same... i.e. a wheel bearing failure = sunvisor failure = engine failure.
Cool.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
If you use them, they are the greatest money ever spent. If you don't, well...

It's insurance, and if you know anything about insurance, it's that the insurance company rarely loses. But they still offer a great benefit of converting an unknown variable expense into a fixed one for which can be planned.

Here's how the warranty companies do the math to determine prices. First, they assume a maximum 50% loss ratio. So if the cost of a warranty is $2000, they expect to pay out at most $1000 in claims. Then there is dealer markup. This is where it gets hairy. There are places like mine that only mark them up 20-25%, and places like most franchise stores that mark them up 100%. So from the consumer's standpoint, the value can vary greatly if you purchase the plan for $2400-2500 from someone like me versus $4000 at a franchise store.

Depending on the age and miles, newer vehicles with lower miles are eligible for more protection...i.e. comprehensive or exclusionary warranties versus only basic engine, transmission, and drivetrain stuff on older models. IF you are going to buy one, the ones that cover the most offer the best value, as the nickel and dime things that go wrong with cars will eat up the difference between the benefit levels on the first claim.

Not all warranty companies are the same, and oftentimes if you have a vehicle that's a bit older and on the edge of miles, it may fall into a higher or lower class depending on the company which could make the cost higher or lower.

Self insurance is always cheaper in the long run, but in the shorter term the costs can be devastating. Unless you buy a Land Rover or Audi, etc. Self insurance is NEVER cheaper on those makes.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
The only thing I've noticed about those so far is that you need to keep the transmission fluid changed,. I've had a few of those (and odysseys) that have developed slipping issues that feel like intermittent engine misfires and chugging. So far, fluid changes have rectified the problem. Fluid looks fine, but it breaks down.
Very interesting. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

Reactions: usedcarguy

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
parents previous 2013 Escape was horrible.. the thing would randomly lose all power and die on the side of the road on them.. even happened at Karl's as they were trading it in on an Equinox.

'13 & '14 Escapes are notoriously bad vehicles.

But those were the 1st models after the big re-design of the Escape. '15 and newer are much more reliable.

• Agree
Reactions: MeowingCows

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Stopped at a Chevy/GMC dealership today to start dickering on a ‘22 crossover SUV. I do my due diligence prior to these excursions so I can get to the bottom line & not waste the salesman’s time. When I sat down he said they can not order any new vehicles, they can not make any new sales, they can not put a number on a new vehicle or put a value on your trade vehicle and he had no idea when ‘22 vehicles would be available but speculated maybe next summer. I was speechless and he was depressed.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Stopped at a Chevy/GMC dealership today to start dickering on a ‘22 crossover SUV. I do my due diligence prior to these excursions so I can get to the bottom line & not waste the salesman’s time. When I sat down he said they can not order any new vehicles, they can not make any new sales, they can not put a number on a new vehicle or put a value on your trade vehicle and he had no idea when ‘22 vehicles would be available but speculated maybe next summer. I was speechless and he was depressed.

Why are they even open?

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
'13 & '14 Escapes are notoriously bad vehicles.

But those were the 1st models after the big re-design of the Escape. '15 and newer are much more reliable.
I had a '13 and now have a '17. I was lucky, my '13 was rock-solid. Traded it in on the newer one, which also has been rock solid. Haven't out a dime in either one.

That '13 touch interface was total ballsack, though. SYNC 2 was garbage.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I had a '13 and now have a '17. I was lucky, my '13 was rock-solid. Traded it in on the newer one, which also has been rock solid. Haven't out a dime in either one.

I’ve got a ‘17 F150 and if I’m being honest I hate the touch interface.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Why are they even open?
Yeah I figured the sales guy was on at least part commission so I was delicate. He said he was selling some used vehicles but their used inventory was low due to no trades on new sales. Said it was under GM directive & nothing they could do.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

I have a '13 F150 and I agree completely on the SYNC 2. They came out with a software update that put some needed functions a little closer at hand when going through the menus, but that only improved things a little.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
weird because they have incentives even