Vehicle reliability - best make/models?

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
carvana will pay $10k over MSRP for a kia telluride. that's why dealers are just tacking on 5-10k on everything.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Mine's a 2012...haven't spent a nickel on it beyond general maintenance.
I've got a 2016 with just shy of 70k miles. I've had two minor problems with it. The 3rd brake light is prone to leaks and you have to take the headliner out to fix it so I spent an afternoon replacing that gasket. The other issue is the pull to drop down the rear seat back is a fabric loop and that broke on me, I let Toyota fix that. It's still worth about $5000 less than I paid for it new.

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Holy cow I've had a single month that I've driven nearly that far. Well your trade in value should be amazing if you ever want to part with it.

I bought it used. It's a 2008 that had 54,000 when I bought it and has 63,000 on it now.

Reactions: NWICY

CYCLONE STATE

Dec 8, 2007
Clive
I've got a 2016 with just shy of 70k miles. I've had two minor problems with it. The 3rd brake light is prone to leaks and you have to take the headliner out to fix it so I spent an afternoon replacing that gasket. The other issue is the pull to drop down the rear seat back is a fabric loop and that broke on me, I let Toyota fix that. It's still worth about $5000 less than I paid for it new.

Hey, that's a recall on your 3rd brake light now. See your local Toyota dealer for a free repair. If the headliner is damaged they will replace it too.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Am I in the right here? Test drove a vehicle on Tuesday and liked it but it was making a noise. Told the sales guy and he said ok. Yesterday they dropped the price $2500 so I call them in the morning and say Im interested but has anyone looked at the wheel. Sales guy says let me check. I finally call him last night and he says not sure let me drive it. He calls me this morning and says its now fixed. I go right over to buy it so we sit down and now the price drop was only $2k. I show them the screenshot of $2500 and they wont budge. I offer we split the $500 difference and they said no so I walked out. This is pretty ****** to change the price on me right?
So this is funny to me. The car they wouldnt sell to me for $18,750 is now reduced to $18,200. So now the dealership is selling it for less and lost a customer for life. We ended up with a better car in the end so it worked out for us.

Anyone have an opinion on extended warranties?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Have had a Mazda of some sort for a decade. First a Mazda 3 Hatchback which I loved. A few months ago upgraded to a CX-5 and love it.
Friend of mine just picked up a CX-5 GT... little high on both mileage and price, but that's the market these days. Got it on hopes of reliability, having done a ton of research and reading singing the praises of mid-2010's Mazdas being bulletproof and well-designed.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
So this is funny to me. The car they wouldnt sell to me for $18,750 is now reduced to $18,200. So now the dealership is selling it for less and lost a customer for life. We ended up with a better car in the end so it worked out for us.

In my opinion it really depends on the car. In a Honda or a Toyota I wouldn't worry about it but in a European car I'd think pretty hard on it. Doug Demuro did a blog a while back on a Range Rover he bought. The extended warranty had paid for itself 6 months into owning the car.

EDIT: His extended warranty on that Range Rover was through Carmax. Not all of them are created equal.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

Never had one, never known anyone who's had one, and from what I've read on the interwebs (so take it for what it's worth), is that they are pretty much worthless. Supposedly they are very limited in what they actually cover (as opposed to the manufacturer's warranty) or you have to go through lots and lots of hassles to get covered.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Does anyone have a ride with the adaptive headlights. Any opinions or thoughts on the feature? I find my night vision declining constantly and was wondering if it was noticeable or just a way for manufacturers to score some cheap safety rating points?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

I never drive a car that's not covered. We own a Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai, so given their reliability, the extended warranties probably aren't the smartest financial move on paper. But I tend to be a worrywart when it comes to unexpected auto repairs and expenses, so I view it more as paying for my day-to-day peace of mind. At my age, it's worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Does anyone have a ride with the adaptive headlights. Any opinions or thoughts on the feature? I find my night vision declining constantly and was wondering if it was noticeable or just a way for manufacturers to score some cheap safety rating points?

Adaptive?? Not sure if it's the same thing but my '20 Pilot has auto dimming headlights.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I've always viewed my vehicles as a tool rather than a toy so I value reliability and economy more than anything.

With that said I have loved my Hondas and really like my Fit. Only complaint is it really should be a 6 speed as I rap 4k rpms on the interstate going 75-80, which means I rarely get better than 34 mpg unless the conditions are ideal. If it had that extra gear it would be close to 40. In pure city driving I still usually get 29 but I have the manual transmission.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Hyundai and Genesis are the highest rated brands. Koreans killing it.

Considering what lousy engines those sludged up GDIs are, that's crazy, But stuff like that doesn't show up on JD Power initial quality studies.

If they're still showing up as tops in quality in older models, it's only because they're counting all defects as one and the same... i.e. a wheel bearing failure = sunvisor failure = engine failure.