Where Will ISU End Up if the Big 12 Implodes?

Where Will ISU End Up If the Big 12 Implodes?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
I haven’t read the whole thread so maybe this has been brought up already . With all the talk of KU to B1G I am wondering how they would handle the leagues requirement to have a wrestling team .

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I would say MN for us, the other two against us. Iowa may be forced to be neutral at the admin level (we know the fan level lol). Nebraska has to be against against against.
Its amazing how you guys think random fans actually make these decisions. People with a lot more brains do. None of those 3 are going to be "against" us. I feel we have more trouble with a few of the Eastern schools than any of those in our own neighborhood. But our connections in the conference definitely helps.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Again, when does the Federal government step in (or can they even) to try to save college football?

It's not even about saving college football, it's about saving and establishing some kind of order in college athletics in the first place.

The problem has always been athletic is "non-proftit" in name, but ran as a "for-profit" entity where greed overrides common sense. Conference should be based around school size, alumni, and geographic footprint. Moreover, limitations on AD, coaches, et al salaries should have established long ago. Players not getting paid wasn't the problem, is was the fact guys like Saban et al were making millions selling kids lies only to bolt for greener pastures later. There's a lot wrong with that.

I really thought the government should have stepped in a long time ago to mitigate senseless travel, the expenses that go with it, and the insanity that college sports has become. If it really is ALL about the money, just get rid of all of the women's sports, and all men's sports outside of college football and basketball. But, if that happens, what's left? What made college athletics into what it was will be completely gone. It's already on it's way there with this NIL deals, which have essentially paved the way for boosters to pump in a ton of money to attract recruits. Soon the Texas's of the world will be able to buy all of their players. Then what? Allow them to be on the team without taking classes.

The entire system is completely broken. The irony is I can see these things leading to college football's demise. If you take away everything that made it great people will quit watching.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I haven’t read the whole thread so maybe this has been brought up already . With all the talk of KU to B1G I am wondering how they would handle the leagues requirement to have a wrestling team .
Im not sure its an official requirement, but, wrestling would be one of the easier sports to add if they were required.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Just spitballing here, but the conference would probably give them 3-5 years to get their **** together and produce one. With B1G money in the offing they would find a way to get it done. And I assume they would compete about as successfully as they do on the gridiron.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Its amazing how you guys think random fans actually make these decisions. People with a lot more brains do. None of those 3 are going to be "against" us. I feel we have more trouble with a few of the Eastern schools than any of those in our own neighborhood. But our connections in the conference definitely helps.
If 80% of OSU fans don't want ISU in the BIG 10 there's a good chance the administration probably feels the same way. You don't think boosters have sway here?

• Dumb
Reactions: Ozclone

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
It's not even about saving college football, it's about saving and establishing some kind of order in college athletics in the first place.

The problem has always been athletic is "non-proftit" in name, but ran as a "for-profit" entity where greed overrides common sense. Conference should be based around school size, alumni, and geographic footprint. Moreover, limitations on AD, coaches, et al salaries should have established long ago. Players not getting paid wasn't the problem, is was the fact guys like Saban et al were making millions selling kids lies only to bolt for greener pastures later. There's a lot wrong with that.

I really thought the government should have stepped in a long time ago to mitigate senseless travel, the expenses that go with it, and the insanity that college sports has become. If it really is ALL about the money, just get rid of all of the women's sports, and all men's sports outside of college football and basketball. But, if that happens, what's left? What made college athletics into what it was will be completely gone. It's already on it's way there with this NIL deals, which have essentially paved the way for boosters to pump in a ton of money to attract recruits. Soon the Texas's of the world will be able to buy all of their players. Then what? Allow them to be on the team without taking classes.

The entire system is completely broken. The irony is I can see these things leading to college football's demise. If you take away everything that made it great people will quit watching.
When was the last time getting the Federal Govt involved in anything actually helped? They are not going to get involved, not sure they have any jurisdiction on something like this outside supreme court. And if they do they would most likely make things worse. The Fed has a knack for being far more corrupt and mismanaged than anything else, and adding an extreme amount of bureaucracy and red tape wont help anything.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
If 80% of OSU fans don't want ISU in the BIG 10 there's a good chance the administration probably feels the same way. You don't think boosters have sway here?
Math is hard I get it. But man just making up random numbers doesn't help your point.
Also take a look who the Athletic Director is at OSU. Not saying that is a deciding factor, but it surely doesn't hurt.

Reactions: MIClone

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
Trying this one more time... OU and Texas are going to want the Big 12 to disband so they can get out of their contractual obligations. How many Big 12 teams would need to vote to disband? Would the SEC consider taking 4 Big 12 schools

Which 2 would u think they would consider? Us and OSU? I think they have their eyes on bigger prizes rn.

Reactions: acoustimac

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Just spitballing here, but the conference would probably give them 3-5 years to get their **** together and produce one. With B1G money in the offing they would find a way to get it done. And I assume they would compete about as successfully as they do on the gridiron.
So I am not quite right on this , they require members to field 16 sports at least 7 being all men . If KU fulfills that requirement they don’t need to add wrestling . I have always been told they required wrestling but never checked it out . B1G wrestling would be a real plus for Iowa State

Reactions: landerson

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Math is hard I get it. But man just making up random numbers doesn't help your point.
Also take a look who the Athletic Director is at OSU. Not saying that is a deciding factor, but it surely doesn't hurt.
I know it makes you feel better to think Gene Smith gives a **** about ISU because he was the AD here 20 years ago but at the end of the day he doesn't. That's not his job. He was also the AD at Arizona State after he left ISU. How much has he helped ASU?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I agree that random fans mean nothing. I'm just saying if 70-80% of a fan base wants something you can probably assume the administration feels pretty similar.

Where are you getting your numbers from? Was there a poll somewhere? Do you know 100% of tOSU fans and have taken your own poll? You seem to love throwing out random numbers with no links to where they come from.

I know a few die hard tOSU fans, one who played on the team from 2001 to 2005. They’ve always been pretty respectful of ISU. I haven’t personally asked any of them about this, but I wouldn’t think they’d be against us. I know they have rooted for ISU in the past and sent me “Go Cyclones” texts before all of the big games last year. Does that mean I can say 100% of tOSU fans are on board?