Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
In 40+ years in the lumber business, I have never seen anything like this. (Not even close!) We are beginning to worry that we will be robbed - not for money, but for the lumber! Prices keep climbing, and we all felt weeks ago that things were going to level off (and hopefully start back down). That's what we get for wishful thinking, I guess.
I tore out my deck last fall and need to rebuild. I am really considering waiting until prices come back down.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Went for 1st bike ride of season to Borrow from Boxster DND. Took fat bike took the main hard pack trail on the way out brought the single track trail on the way back. That first hill on the way out just about killed me holy cow am out of hill climbing shape, did make it and kept pedaling so I'll call it a W.
You did that Peloton!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In 40+ years in the lumber business, I have never seen anything like this. (Not even close!) We are beginning to worry that we will be robbed - not for money, but for the lumber! Prices keep climbing, and we all felt weeks ago that things were going to level off (and hopefully start back down). That's what we get for wishful thinking, I guess.

Are Sheetrock and insulation prices going up also? Need to finish the interior of our garage that we put up last year.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
You did that Peloton!

LOL :D.
In that same area they have a road bike ride that really is a Peloton, about 20-30 riders all drafting and about a 20-30 mile ride. When I get back into 20 mile shape I might try it, rode with them a few yrs ago it's a challenge. Friendly riders just at that next level up of riding, it was fun once you got the hang of it.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Are Sheetrock and insulation prices going up also? Need to finish the interior of our garage that we put up last year.

They have been, but not to the extent lumber has. Steel is way up, and shingles are on allocation. Things are going to get pretty interesting this summer, I think. Demand hasn't slowed, and interest is still cheap. So apparently people are willing to pay more.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
They have been, but not to the extent lumber has. Steel is way up, and shingles are on allocation. Things are going to get pretty interesting this summer, I think. Demand hasn't slowed, and interest is still cheap. So apparently people are willing to pay more.
Talked to a buyer for a truck body place last night. Many steel suppliers are going to allocations. You get a percentage of your normal order to try to keep as many people rolling as possible. Friend at Larson Manufacturing (storm door company) said they used to be overtime, but now they run out of materials and hours are getting weird.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ok, son had a 7-9 pm final tonight. It’s online, why is there a 7-9 online final. Other classes opened it up for the day and not a specific time.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Talked to a buyer for a truck body place last night. Many steel suppliers are going to allocations. You get a percentage of your normal order to try to keep as many people rolling as possible. Friend at Larson Manufacturing (storm door company) said they used to be overtime, but now they run out of materials and hours are getting weird.

I have a feeling I'm going to be glad to be out of it come July. :) I think I hear the golf course calling me.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Last meeting we had with our likely builder they said that they heard rumors of prices falling soon but had not seen it yet. I am guessing that is wishful thinking?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Coming in to seek some advice / input on a recent issue. Yesterday I got a notice for mail that needed a signature so it was delivered. On the notice the mailman left included address of the sender which was a towing company. I haven't needed or had a tow in some time so I was immediately freaked.

Went to the post office as soon as it opened and got the letter and it was as bad as I feared. Last summer I sold my car. It was my first time selling and the first person to look at it wanted to buy it. So I was in a rush but thought I got everything: I drew up a contract of sale which we both signed and I removed the plates. The one thing I did forget was signing the date of sale on the title but people said that a bill of sale contract should suffice.

The letter I received from the towing company was that my (former) vehicle and in their impound. It was taken in on april 23rd and has an outstanding balance of around $650.

I immediately took my contract of sale to the the towing company which they made copies of and my phone number for when the manager comes in.

Anything else I should do?

Last edited:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
That's to get you to sign, so they can lock you in and then say, whoops, guess I was wrong, here is your jacked up bill.

yes and no. We have been clear that we likely won't be ready until at least this fall or next spring and they won't commit to prices until 60 days out from build start so we wouldn't be locked into anything until then anyway. They used to commit earlier but lost their ass on a couple of houses last year due to rapidly rising prices.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.