Hunter Reaffirms Commitment

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
With no other options at PG, and a top 40 recruit, I disagree. Its trial by fire, he may struggle some games and take his lumps, just like the whole team.

Like haliburton and Monte of past, the talent is there as a freshman. But unlike those two, we don't have many other options this year, he's going to play a lot.
What did you disagree with, seems like this is the same take?

• Haha
Reactions: CycoCyclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Once again, so glad Tyrese has made the re-committment to ISU. We are going to love seeing this kid play and the force that he will bring in making a strong cultural change. He will be one of the leaders, even as a freshman, IMO.
Tyrese, if you're listening, can't wait to see you play and for you to be a part of this team, and the change that is happening in Ames!
All this last season I was looking at the huge turnover numbers in the box scores and thinking “Good grief, I wish Tyrese was here!”

And oddly enough, I didn’t mean Haliburton.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
We should temper our initial expectations for Hunter, IMO. He will only be a freshman and is still undersized (6-1, 160lbs.). Hopefully he will make up for it with his inherent skill and quickness.

I think he will average about 24-30 MPG the last half of season (a lot for a freshman), maybe a bit more if he can prove to be an effective scorer. But still, even though highly ranked, and a lot will be asked of him, he will be young and inexperienced in the middle of the Big 12. He will need time to develope.

The best thing he can do initially will be to lead the offense as maybe our main PG, keep his turnovers down, and really work on his assists. Hopefully we will have some players he can dish to that will know how to score. If his defense is strong, that will be a plus.
I think you underestimate Tyrese’s talent.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Buggs transferred to MU from Hawaii before last season. He had ISU on his list before chosing them. Obviosly, we were desperate for a living, breathing PG at the time.
I believe Buggs has ISU ties but the rumor last time was he only wanted to come if he was guaranteed a starter role and major minutes. That isn't going to happen. Plus, he is not a very good shooter from reports.
Yeah Buggs was not a very realistic/good example. He was the only one I could think of at the time. Another one-year guy if out there?

Unless TJ walks into a really good grad transfer PG who wants to come here we will make do. I think he is going to rely on Walker to be the backup PG, then Grill/Jackson for spot minutes. So big responsiblity for Tyrese Hunter, and Walker both.

If Tyrese stays healthy I think we will be fine. I do wish we had more depth at PG though. Such an important position.

• Agree
Reactions: baagoe

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I think you underestimate Tyrese’s talent.
He gonna be good, and he can't come soon enough. We are going to love to watch him play.

It's just you know, the freshman thing, hope he stays healthy, not a lot of depth there.

I guess I worry too much.

Reactions: Aclone

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Didn’t Buggs want to come here but he was being slow played and never offered? Probably a reason for that.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Before you posted this I was actually going to say Monte isnt even the best PG to wear 11 here. Love Monte. But Tinsley was a different cat.

JT was a generational talent and there aren’t anymore players like he and Jason Williams that will try anything on the court.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
JT was a generational talent and there aren’t anymore players like he and Jason Williams that will try anything on the court.
Too bad really, those two (Jason and Jamaal) were amazing players, street-ballers. Very entertaining! Wish we could see more players like them. Incredible ball handlers and assist-makers. Seems like a lost art. Not many players have it to that degree.

Tinsley, passer/scorer, great ball handler. Jason Williams now you see it now you don't assist machine (but could score if he wanted). Pete Maravich, assist and scoring machine ball handling wizzard.

Wonder if there will ever be another Pete Maravich?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
After re-discovering Jason Williams and thinking about Jamaal, I secretly wish there was a Jason & Jamaal Point Guard School we could send our guards to!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I wonder what Jamaal T. is doing these days? Thought just occurred to me.

TJ thinks very highly of Mac (Dan MacCarney) and has used him/plans to use him as motivational speaker for the team. Why not contact Jamaal and Monte, bring them both in for reunion, speak to the team?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Didn’t Buggs want to come here but he was being slow played and never offered? Probably a reason for that.

He wanted to come here but have a guaranteed featured/starting role and play lots of minutes.

The staff didn't see him more than a depth/bench/practice/glorified walk-on type, though he might have ended up playing a decent amount last year given injuries and COVID.

Those two visions weren't in alignment, so we passed and he went to Mizzou and wasn't any good.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I wonder what Jamaal T. is doing these days? Thought just occurred to me.

TJ thinks very highly of Mac (Dan MacCarney) and has used him/plans to use him as motivational speaker for the team. Why not contact Jamaal and Monte, bring them both in for reunion, speak to the team?

Monte has been fairly involved with the program.

Stangguy

Jan 12, 2021
He wanted to come here but have a guaranteed featured/starting role and play lots of minutes.

The staff didn't see him more than a depth/bench/practice/glorified walk-on type, though he might have ended up playing a decent amount last year given injuries and COVID.

Those two visions weren't in alignment, so we passed and he went to Mizzou and wasn't any good.
Everything about this not true.

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
She did not want to come here. She did not want to have a guaranteed featured/starting role and play lots of minutes.

The staff saw her as much more than a depth/bench/practice/glorified walk-on type.

Those two visions were in alignment, so we did not pass but unfortunately she did not go to Mizzou and was good.

Everything about this not true.
Ok, so since everything about it was not true, I've changed the post in every material way. Is it accurate now?:mccaffery: