Kyle Green Hired

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
35 north of Ames is the same as Nebraska. I avoid it at all costs.
I agree with that, but 63 isn't much better! It's kind of like going to Colorado from DM on I-80, I just drive as fast as I can with minimum stops and breathe a sign of relief when I can see the Rockies in the distance.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
What’s wrong with a great recruiter, a guy who’s great at developing post players, and a guy who’s good at defensive schemes?

Some people on here wouldn't be happy unless Coach K was hired and even then they woul be ******** that it didn't get done 5 years ago.

I am too lazy to look but I'll bet some of these same people 'meh'ed' all over CMC hire as well.

I don't know how it will turn out but watching the rest of the mayhem taking place in the Big XII and around the country, I think JP has played this just about as well as anyone could have.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Most investment bankers I work with in New York that have young family do this. Monday morning long commute, live in the city at a condo/apartment during the weel and go home to CT, Westchester County or Long Island on the weekends

Sounds like a great excuse to get some side action.

Investment bankers must be getting soft, back when they didn't make gazillions they would just take the Metro North or a car service back & forth each day. Sit on the train or in a car for 60-90 minutes is not a bad deal.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
What a wild world. TJ announces an assistant coach hire and half the people here lose their minds over a few words about a commute flippantly tweeted out by a WCF Courier sports writer of all people. Smdh.

Mr. Petaros didn’t even bother putting those words in his article, so take them with a grain of salt. They aren’t a quote from Green, and they likely hold no truth beyond a casual response to something like, “hey, what are your first few months gonna be like this spring with your family rooted in the CF community?”

https://wcfcourier.com/sports/colle...cle_357fe3ee-814f-5005-bd48-b7caf103bb8c.html

Last edited:

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I don't care about the commute but driving that distance often would wear on you, it's a very boring drive especially after the long hours coaches put in. And even if it isn't every day, every weekend is still enough to be burnt out from the drive.
I've known several people who commuted over an hour every day to work for years. It's pretty common in big cities. There are people who drive all day every day for a living. Everyone's tolerance for a commute is different.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Do those people get to the office at 6 am and leave at 9/10 PM like coaches?

Yes. There are not a lot of jobs out there that require those kinds of hours, but some of the ones that do include "prestige" industries centered in the Northeast like investment baking, management and other types of consulting, and custom software development. The people I know like that all work in those kinds of sectors.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Even if he was commuting every day (seems unlikely), think of all of the work that college coaches do over the phone. You could easily put in 3 hrs of phone calls in a day on your commute.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Sounds like a great excuse to get some side action.

Investment bankers must be getting soft, back when they didn't make gazillions they would just take the Metro North or a car service back & forth each day. Sit on the train or in a car for 60-90 minutes is not a bad deal.

I don't know any of the big shots. Most are bankers nowadays are HUGE nerds and can't pull. The high flying, fast talking types on Wall Street are a dying breed or were too expensive and cut from payrolls. Some MIT math major can do the algo trading or underwriting to a deal in less time anyway

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
This is about as definitive as it gets that AJ is staying in Cedar Falls...

Commute from CF to Ames every day? NOOOOOO thanks
That makes it sound like a short term thing for him.

Very good hire though and I was hoping that TJ would get some fresh voices in here so that is very good.
I gotta think this is more until this semester is done, ease into the transition. I could be wrong.

By mid summer he will be in Ames, maybe his wife too? Right now he can do some of his work from CF even. In the fall he is going to need to be here full time, no commuting. I am sure they will work that all out.

It would be extremely odd if he commuted from CF much more than a few months. Even that would get rather old.