Darian DeVries

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
could Drake and some other bubble team (e.g. SLU, Utah St.) decide to play this week to help their bubble chances?

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Moser is excellent. I absolutely love the guy as a coach. But has the same questions as any mid major coach. First, you have to accept he is going to play very very slow. Second, he is going to take time to build a program, he isn’t a 2 year fix guy. Third, at this point, he has a good gig there, I doubt he wants to come to Ames at this point in his career.

Knowing all that, can he recruit well enough to take on Beard, Self, Kruger, Huggy etc. He would have to get guys to come to Ames that are willing to play slow and yet are just as talented as the rest of the conference. It’s hard. Clearly it can be done, Tim Floyd did it, but it’s a lot to ask.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Well at least we aren’t going random game by random game like everyone does with TJ.

TJ would have definitely been a better choice than Steve Prohm was back in the day. Just a damn good thing TJ came back that first year so Prohm didn’t mess that team up. Prohm has drove the program into the ground. Disaster.

Run Faster

Sep 28, 2020
No matter who Pollard hires half of the fan base will have boo boo face. I hope we are granted another miracle and Matt Campbell 2.0 walks through the doors at Hilton! This fan base deserves better!

Last edited:
Reactions: aauummm and Nococy

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Moser is excellent. I absolutely love the guy as a coach. But has the same questions as any mid major coach. First, you have to accept he is going to play very very slow. Second, he is going to take time to build a program, he isn’t a 2 year fix guy. Third, at this point, he has a good gig there, I doubt he wants to come to Ames at this point in his career.

Knowing all that, can he recruit well enough to take on Beard, Self, Kruger, Huggy etc. He would have to get guys to come to Ames that are willing to play slow and yet are just as talented as the rest of the conference. It’s hard. Clearly it can be done, Tim Floyd did it, but it’s a lot to ask.

Moser, Keller, DeVries and Smith of the names I have seen look to be the best choices for mid major selections. As for recruiting Moser would have an "in" to the Chicago area.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Moser, Keller, DeVries and Smith of the names I have seen look to be the best choices for mid major selections. As for recruiting Moser would have an "in" to the Chicago area.
Would take any of these. Seems to me Pollard has to make a big hire with someone of significant achievement - he can't afford two disappointing ones in a row.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Drake is in deep trouble after Georgetown and Oregon State won their tournaments yesterday.

They have to be relegated to the play-in game at this point if they make it. It's a shame some of these scrub teams can get hot for 3 days or not have to face Villanova with their 2 best players.

Cincinnati could be another thief today also.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
FWIW, I talked to a couple of Darian's brothers (big Iowa fans) the other night. Asked if I was going to see him coaching at ISU next year. It was met with a very quick and resounding "Nope".

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
FWIW, I talked to a couple of Darian's brothers (big Iowa fans) the other night. Asked if I was going to see him coaching at ISU next year. It was met with a very quick and resounding "Nope".

Based on conversations I’ve had with that family I would completely agree with this as well.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
I certainly think a great deal of this kind of response is typical in our state -- you're an "Iowa guy" or an ISU guy, or even a UNI guy.
But I think more of it has to do with -- and I hate to say this -- DeVries looks at our situation right now and says, "Um, no thanks."
And by "situation," I mean expectations vis-a-vis current reality.

Reactions: CapnCy