WBB weekly Big 12 awards thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
His best years were 1998-2001 with the NCAA runs and that one 1st place tie which also coincided with a run by Texas Tech titles and NCAA runs so Marsha Sharp won it in 1998 and 1999. The Big 12 award is voted at the end of conference regular season before the NCAA's and most of Bill's best years have been good NCAA run years and not regular season titles so that is sort of a big downside for him grabbing the conference award. Voted before Big 12 tourney so runs there don't count either.

Guessing this year it might be Jim Littell of OSU if you look at who did what in the conference. They lost a first team player to transfer (and insult to injury, to another Big 12 team) and were picked pre-season by the coaches to finish in 8th place. They looked to be one of the bottom teams that the top teams could be 10-0 against, not a top tier that would go 10-0 against the bottom five. Pretty big jump over expectations.

Fennelly has had multiple years where he should have received coach of the year. When Pop was a senior was a prime example. You can give it to the Conf champion coach easily...but who does the best job coaching? That is rarely considered.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
This is a little surprising because I thought OU's Skylar Vann is going to win it for averaging 13.3 pts in the past week but we will take it by all means. Congrats to Kylie for her second Big12 Freshman of the Week Award!

Iowa State has earned 9 of the 15 Fresh of the Week honors this season. Absolutely amazing!!!

Lauren Heard of TCU got her second Big12 Player of the Week award. Although she has a recent scoring surge, Ashley still retains her Big12 regular season scoring champion.

Last edited:

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I'm surprised those stats were good enough for freshman of the week (given we only had one game this week and half the conference had two), but she definitely did have a good game.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Big12 will announce the WBB Awards later today. Here are my predictions (might not be accurate, just for fun;)).

ISU Players

All-Big12 First Team:
Ashley Joens (unanimous)
Freshman of the Year: Lexi Donarski (100%)
All-Big12 Honorable Mentions: Kristin Scott, Lexi Donarski
All-Freshman Team: Lexi Donarski (unanimous), Emily Ryan (100%), Kylie Feuerbach (maybe)

Other Major Awards

Player of the Year:
Should be decided among Ashley Joens, Natasha Mack, Charli Collier, NaLyssa Smith and Kysre Gondrezick because those are the best players on the top 5 teams. I'd lean toward Charli Collier because of all the hype she's got. I wouldn't rule out the possibility of two players sharing the award.

Coach of the Year: Should be decided between Mike Carey and Jim Lattell, or both of them might share the award. I have a high standard for Kim Mulkey and I'd only give her the award if she had a perfect 18-0 record (sorry @geewago ;) ).

Defensive Player of the Year: Should be decided between Natasha Mack and Charli Collier. I'd lean toward Natasha Mack because she averages more blocks and steals than Charli Collier.

Newcomer of the Year and Sixth Player of the Year: Should be DiJonai Carrington of Baylor as she stands out more than other players in these categories.

All-Big12 First Team (10 Players):

These are locks: Ashley Joens, Natasha Mack, Charli Collier, NaLyssa Smith, Kysre Gondrezick, Lauren Heard, Madi Williams.

These are possibles (either they make the first team or the second team or honorable mention): Ja'Mee Asberry, Vivian Gray, Ayoka Lee, Esmery Martinez, Holly Kersgieter plus one or two of these Baylor's players in DiDi Richards, Moon Ursin, DiJonai Carrington. I figure since Baylor is the regular season champion, they should get more players on the all-conference first and second teams.

Most Improved Player: Ja'Mee Asberry (I know, I know, Big12 doesn't have this award, I'm just giving my opinion.)

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Reactions: SMP05 and Buster28

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
The following contents are copied from the Big12 Conference website.

The All-Big 12 honors were chosen by head coaches, who are not allowed to vote for their own student-athletes.

2020-21 PHILLIPS 66 ALL-BIG 12 WOMEN'S BASKETBALL AWARDS
Coach of the Year:Jim Littell, Oklahoma State (10th season at Oklahoma State, 10th overall)
Player of the Year:NaLyssa Smith, Baylor, F, 6-2, Jr., Converse, Texas
Defensive Player of the Year:Natasha Mack, Oklahoma State, F, 6-4, Sr., Lufkin, Texas
Newcomer of the Year:DiJonai Carrington, Baylor, G, 5-11, Gr., San Diego, Calif.**
Freshman of the Year:Lexi Donarski, Iowa State, G, 6-0, La Crosse, Wis.**
Sixth Player Award:DiJonai Carrington, Baylor, G, 5-11, Gr., San Diego, Calif.**

2021 ALL-BIG 12 FIRST TEAM
Name, SchoolPos.Ht.Cl.Hometown
NaLyssa Smith, Baylor+**F6-2Jr.Converse, Texas
Ashley Joens, Iowa State+**G/F6-0Jr.Iowa City, Iowa
Ayoka Lee, Kansas State+C6-6So.Byron, Minn.
Madi Williams, Oklahoma**G/F6-0Jr.Fort Worth, Texas
Natasha Mack, Oklahoma State%**F6-4Sr.Lufkin, Texas
Lauren Heard, TCU+G 5-9Sr.Denton, Texas
Charli Collier, Texas+**F/C6-5Jr.Mont Belvieu, Texas
Vivian Gray, Texas Tech+^G6-1Sr.Argyle, Texas
Kysre Gondrezick, West Virginia**G5-9R-Sr.Benton Harbor, Mich.
Esmery Martinez, West VirginiaF6-2So.Hato Mayor Del Ray, D.R.

2021 ALL-BIG 12 SECOND TEAM
DiDi Richards, Baylor%G6-1Sr.Cypress, Texas
Moon Ursin, BaylorG5-6Sr.Destrehan, La.
Kristin Scott, Iowa State>F/C6-3Sr.Kasson, Minn.
Taylor Robertson, OklahomaG5-7Jr.McPherson, Kan.
Ja'Mee Asberry, Oklahoma StateG5-5R-Jr.Tulsa, Okla.
** Unanimous First Team Selection (coaches cannot vote for own players, unanimous denotes voted first team by other nine coaches)

+ 2019-20 All-Big 12 First Team Selection
% 2019-20 All-Big 12 Second Team Selection
^ 2018-19 All-Big 12 First Team Selection
> 2018-19 All-Big 12 Second Team Selection

2021 ALL-BIG 12 HONORABLE MENTION
Baylor:DiJonai Carrington, Queen Egbo
Kansas:Holly Kersgieter
Kansas State:Christianna Carr
Texas:JoAnne Allen-Taylor, Kyra Lambert, Celeste Taylor
West Virginia:Kirsten Deans, Kari Niblack

2021 BIG 12 ALL-DEFENSIVE TEAM
DiDi Richards, Baylor%G6-1Sr.Cypress, Texas
Moon Ursin, BaylorG5-6Sr.Destrehan, La.
Natasha Mack, Oklahoma State^**F6-4Sr.Lufkin, Texas
Lauren Heard, TCUG5-9Sr.Denton, Texas
Charli Collier, TexasF/C6-5Jr.Mont Belvieu, Texas
** Unanimous Selection (coaches cannot vote for own players, unanimous denotes selected for team on other nine ballots)
^ 2019-20 Big 12 All-Defensive Team Selection
+ 2018-19 Big 12 All-Defensive Team Selection

2021 BIG 12 ALL-FRESHMAN TEAM
Lexi Donarski, Iowa State**G6-0Fr.La Cross, Wis.
Emily Ryan, Iowa State**G5-11Fr.Claflin, Kan.
Ioanna Chatzileonti, KansasF6-2Fr.Athens, Greece
Nevaeh Tot, OklahomaG5-3Fr.McKinney, Texas
Taylen Collins, Oklahoma STATEF6-1Fr.Muldrow, Okla.
Lexy Keys, Oklahoma StateG5-7Fr.Tahlequah, Okla.
Tie in voting resulted in a six-person All-Freshman Team
** Unanimous Selection (coaches cannot vote for own players, unanimous denotes selected for team on other nine ballots)

Last edited:
Reactions: Buster28

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Some of my post-award thoughts:

1) Most of the awards were given as expected. ISU players got well-deserved recognition. Coaches were trying to "spread the love" to all the schools.

2) Kristin making the All-Big12 Second Team is better than I expected. I guess the coaches love senior players.

3) Lexi didn't make the Honorable Mentions is a little surprising. I think she deserves a spot.

4) I'm glad Jim Littell got the Coach of the Year award, I like him better than Mike Carey. OSU fans should all thank Vivian Gray for transferring out. Without her, that OSU team looks much better.

5) I'm fine with NaLyssa Smith winning the Player of the Year award since she is the best player on the best team in the league. I'd really like to see the voting result and I'd bet it's going to very very close.

6) Coach Fen, the dean of all the Big12 coaches, still hasn't got a Coach of the Year award. I hope he gets at least one in the next 3-4 years.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
She won the conference 11 years running and hasn't won the coaching award every year. She wins it a lot since she is the best coach in the league. Here's the history of the award. I still think it going to be Littell this year. They still have a good shot at a tie for 2nd. If everything had fallen in place as predicted pre-season it might have been Mulkey again.

View attachment 82333

Someone is conspicuously missing from that list!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

1) Most of the awards were given as expected. ISU players got well-deserved recognition. Coaches were trying to "spread the love" to all the schools.

2) Kristin making the All-Big12 Second Team is better than I expected. I guess the coaches love senior players.

3) Lexi didn't make the Honorable Mentions is a little surprising. I think she deserves a spot.

4) I'm glad Jim Littell got the Coach of the Year award, I like him better than Mike Carey. OSU fans should all thank Vivian Gray for transferring out. Without her, that OSU team looks much better.

5) I'm fine with NaLyssa Smith winning the Player of the Year award since she is the best player on the best team in the league. I'd really like to see the voting result and I'd bet it's going to very very close.

6) Coach Fen, the dean of all the Big12 coaches, still hasn't got a Coach of the Year award. I hope he gets at least one in the next 3-4 years.
Congrats to Scott! Kind of a surprise, but well deserved.
Can't argue with the Littell and Smith choices. Smith will probably win next year as well. Terrific player.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Might have bumped Didi Richards to 1st team, but I've always liked the way she plays, ok on offense but tough on D. Glad Kirstin made 2nd team that's well deserved. I'll miss watching her play next yr.

Reactions: Tornado man

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Might have bumped Didi Richards to 1st team, but I've always liked the way she plays, ok on offense but tough on D. Glad Kirstin made 2nd team that's well deserved. I'll miss watching her play next yr.

I would have had DiDi R. on in place of Martinez of WVU. The times I saw her play she was inconsistent,

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
I think Mack should have been POY. Glad she at least got DPOY
That's my prediction too. That's why I want to see the voting result of that category. (Can any ISU media member find out?). I think the voting is similar to the Oscars. The best picture usually wins one of the best director and best actor awards along the way. Since Baylor won the league and Jim Littell got Coach of the Year, the best player has to be given to a Baylor player.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
That's my prediction too. That's why I want to see the voting result of that category. (Can any ISU media member find out?). I think the voting is similar to the Oscars. The best picture usually wins one of the best director and best actor awards along the way. Since Baylor won the league and Jim Littell got Coach of the Year, the best player has to be given to a Baylor player.

It's 10 coaches voting with a vote each. They don't sit around in a room like some panel and discuss who to vote for or how to divvy up votes in some sort of "share" the honors sort of thing. They just vote independently and submit their votes. Chips fall where they may based on each coaches opinion.

With no clear cut leader separating themselves for POY it might have been votes divided up 4-3-2-1 or something. Might be interesting to know who Fennelly voted POY since he cannot vote for Joens. No one is going to know who voted for who unless individual coaches say, and they probably will not.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

at a quick glance...I don’t think any freshmen were on the honorable mention or 2nd team lists.