WBB weekly Big 12 awards thread

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
According to the Big12 Record Book, ISU has only won the following awards a total of four times.

Player of the Year: Bridget Carleton (2019)
Freshman of the Year: Megan Taylor (1998)
Newcomer of the Year: Stacy Frese (1998), Desiree Francis (1999)

Coach Fen has never won the Big12 Coach of the Year award, which is unbelievable. He should've won it in 2019. Next 3-4 years he will have a great chance of winning it before he retires.
Fennelly also should have won it in 1998 when he was NATIONAL runner-up for Coach of the Year (to Pat Summit, I believe). It's pretty insulting that he's never won that, quite honestly.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Fennelly also should have won it in 1998 when he was NATIONAL runner-up for Coach of the Year (to Pat Summit, I believe). It's pretty insulting that he's never won that, quite honestly.

His best years were 1998-2001 with the NCAA runs and that one 1st place tie which also coincided with a run by Texas Tech titles and NCAA runs so Marsha Sharp won it in 1998 and 1999. The Big 12 award is voted at the end of conference regular season before the NCAA's and most of Bill's best years have been good NCAA run years and not regular season titles so that is sort of a big downside for him grabbing the conference award. Voted before Big 12 tourney so runs there don't count either.

Guessing this year it might be Jim Littell of OSU if you look at who did what in the conference. They lost a first team player to transfer (and insult to injury, to another Big 12 team) and were picked pre-season by the coaches to finish in 8th place. They looked to be one of the bottom teams that the top teams could be 10-0 against, not a top tier that would go 10-0 against the bottom five. Pretty big jump over expectations.

Last edited:

CloneSt8

Aug 1, 2011
Love Lexi's play. She is great and will become so much better.

I hate to say it but Iowa's Clark deserves this award as she is averaging almost 27 points a game - second in the nation of all players at this time.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
His best years were 1998-2001 with the NCAA runs and that one 1st place tie which also coincided with a run by Texas Tech titles and NCAA runs so Marsha Sharp won it in 1998 and 1999. The Big 12 award is voted at the end of conference regular season before the NCAA's and most of Bill's best years have been good NCAA run years and not regular season titles so that is sort of a big downside for him grabbing the conference award. Voted before Big 12 tourney so runs there don't count either.

Guessing this year it might be Jim Littell of OSU if you look at who did what in the conference. They lost a first team player to transfer (and insult to injury, to another Big 12 team) and were picked pre-season by the coaches to finish in 8th place. They looked to be one of the bottom teams that the top teams could be 10-0 against, not a top tier that would go 10-0 against the bottom five. Pretty big jump over expectations.

If the Big 12 holds true to historic form, Kim Mulkey will likely get it. It tends to go to the coach who was expected to win and did.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Love Lexi's play. She is great and will become so much better.

I hate to say it but Iowa's Clark deserves this award as she is averaging almost 27 points a game - second in the nation of all players at this time.
I think the winner will be decided between Caitlin Clark and Paige Bueckers.;)

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
If the Big 12 holds true to historic form, Kim Mulkey will likely get it. It tends to go to the coach who was expected to win and did.
I don't want to see the Big12 WBB Coach of the Year become the Kim Mulkey Award year after year. IMO this year's award should go to the head coach whose team finishes second in the Big12 final standings.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I don't want to see the Big12 WBB Coach of the Year become the Kim Mulkey Award year after year. IMO this year's award should go to the head coach whose team finishes second in the Big12 final standings.

She won the conference 11 years running and hasn't won the coaching award every year. She wins it a lot since she is the best coach in the league. Here's the history of the award. I still think it going to be Littell this year. They still have a good shot at a tie for 2nd. If everything had fallen in place as predicted pre-season it might have been Mulkey again.

1614621032320.png

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Compare the COY against the regular-season champ:
97, 98, 99, 00*, 01
03, 04*, 05, 06, 07*
08, 09, 10, 11, 12
13, 14*, 15, 18, 19, 20
*tie for 1st, coach of co-champ won

COY not the regular-season champ (or co-champ):
2002 - Patterson (went from 2-14 to 11-5)
2016 - Littell (T-4th; program recovery from Budke accident?)
2017 - Aston (2nd)

I think Aston got it because they couldn't keep giving it to Mulkey every year.

Reactions: VeloClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Shifting from COY to awards a Cyclone might win? My lukewarm takes below:
  • Donarksi is pretty much a lock for Freshman of the Year.
  • Donarski and Ryan are locks for Freshman Team.
  • Joens is obviously a lock for 1st Team.
  • Honorable mention, Scott, Donarksi and Ryan. Only 5 on 2nd team and think they fall just off the bubble for that this season.
  • No Cyclones on defensive team. Wise has been good on defense in emergency post play but think after Mack and Richards that team is filled with Baylor and WVU players.
POY is going to be a voting scrum between Joens, Mack, or Collier. Joens is still Joens and leading the league in scoring while being a little short of double-double with rebounds. Collier and Mack are averaging double-doubles.

Last edited:

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I think the winner will be decided between Caitlin Clark and Paige Bueckers.;)

If this is the final two (IMO Lexi should be in the running )I would vote for Paige. The main reason Clark is even in the running is almost everything has to go thru her and many times she is doing most of the shooting from the perimeter.

• Agree
Reactions: CyclonesFan4ever

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
No surprise! Lexi just won her back-to-back-to-back Big12 Freshman of the Week award, which gives her a total of FIVE for the season. It's safe to say at this point, she should be voted as the Big12 Freshman of the Year unanimously.

Taylor Robertson received her first Big12 Player of the Week award this season.

Reactions: NWICY and Buster28

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The accolades keep adding up for Lexi. She's the only semi-finalist from the Big12,

Has anyone up until now ever heard of "World Exposure Report"? o_O

Actual known freshman awards that peeps can brag about winning are the ones from USBWA and WBCA (and to a lesser extent the ESPN one). Aliyah Boston of South Caroline won all of these last year.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Updated Season Totals

Player of Week
Ashley Joens, ISU
(3) Dec 7, Dec 14, Jan 11
Charli Collier, Texas (2) Nov 30, Jan 25
Lauren Heard, TCU (1) Dec 14
NaLyssa Smith, Baylor (1) Dec 21
Natasha Mack, OSU (3) Dec 28, Jan 11, Feb 8
Madi Williams, OU (2) Jan 4, Feb 15
Kysre Gondrezick, WVU (1) Feb 1
Vivian Gray, TT, (1) Feb 22
Taylor Robertson, OU, March 1

Freshman of the Week
Ioanna Chatzileonti, Kansas (2) Nov 30, Dec 7
Lexi Donarski, ISU (5) Dec 14, Jan 11, Feb 15, Feb 22, March 1
Hannah Gusters, Baylor (1) Dec 21
Lexy Keys, Oklahoma State (2) Dec 21, Feb 8
Emily Ryan, ISU (2) Dec 28, Jan 18
DeYona Gaston, Texas (1) Jan 4
Aja Holmes, TCU (1) Jan 25
Kylie Feuerbach, ISU (1) Feb 1

scottwv

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 18, 2011
Melrose Iowa

Actual known freshman awards that peeps can brag about winning are the ones from USBWA and WBCA (and to a lesser extent the ESPN one). Aliyah Boston of South Caroline won all of these last year.

Clark from the ToE will be hard to beat.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames

Never heard of it. But if someone wants to acknowledge how well one of our players has done, I certainly won't complain about not knowing what the organization is! :)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Never heard of it. But if someone wants to acknowledge how well one of our players has done, I certainly won't complain about not knowing what the organization is! :)

Their is a reason no one has heard of them. It's not an organization, it looks to be a startup small business that flooded Twitter and Facebook with a bunch of social posting in the last year or so hoping to sell their recruiting services to Div I coaches. They are also trying to set up pay tournaments. Their emphasis is data bases for 7th and 8th grader, HS girls/boys and Juco. It's kinda sad that both Iowa and ISU repeated this companies self promotion on social media because that is all it is, self promotion under the guise of "recognition".

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Their is a reason no one has heard of them. It's not an organization, it looks to be a startup small business that flooded Twitter and Facebook with a bunch of social posting in the last year or so hoping to sell their recruiting services to Div I coaches. It's kinda sad that both Iowa and ISU repeated their self promotion because that is all it is. They are also trying to set up pay tournaments.
That's kinda lame.