• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I loved Big Hero 6, but that seems like an odd choice for a live-action movie. The cartoon-like appearance of Baymax adds to his appeal. Translating that to CGI seems like a pretty big risk.

I think it is worth noting that both Hiro and Baymax in the comics looks pretty drastically different than what we got in the animated movie. It could also be their attempt to draw in more of a Japanese audience.

Attachments

• Big Hero 6.JPG
    Big Hero 6.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 24

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Absolutely i think it’s all forced a shift that was inevitably coming anyway. I like movie theaters for big blockbusters but have little desire to see dramas and romcoms there. If I can watch movies at home on a big screen I’ll keep going with it.

They might keep the $20-$30 new release "rental" but there's no way it remains a profit center like it is now. It could remain as a niche as it was already an emerging niche for the type of movies you mentioned.

Streaming services you are of course right.

I like classic films anyway. With 2-3 exceptions a year I'm fine with waiting years to see something let alone 6 months.

I actually think the film library on all of these services sucks unless you do the Netflix discs by mail. Disney plus is probably the most complete in terms of an archive of films but it's still just one studio.

Recently had CBS/Paramount+ for a few months to catch up on Star Trek. Just by having the Godfather and Indy Jones series alone I feel like they had a better library of films from the 80s and before than Netflix streaming.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
They might keep the $20-$30 new release "rental" but there's no way it remains a profit center like it is now. It could remain as a niche as it was already an emerging niche for the type of movies you mentioned.

Streaming services you are of course right.

I like classic films anyway. With 2-3 exceptions a year I'm fine with waiting years to see something let alone 6 months.

I actually think the film library on all of these services sucks unless you do the Netflix discs by mail. Disney plus is probably the most complete in terms of an archive of films but it's still just one studio.

Recently had CBS/Paramount+ for a few months to catch up on Star Trek. Just by having the Godfather and Indy Jones series alone I feel like they had a better library of films from the 80s and before than Netflix streaming.

Yeah, there is a reason Netflix has been cranking out their own content by bunches over the past few years. They saw the writing on the wall coming of all the movie/TV studios creating their own services and subsequently pulling their content off most or all 3rd party streaming services like Netflix. There are a lot of people who likely subscribe to Netflix mainly to just watch shows like Friends and The Office, which Netflix now no longer has either. This is why I'm more bullish services like Disney+ and HBO Max. Yes, Netflix has created some great original programing, but ultimately it is nothing compared to the years and years of movies and TV shows made by the likes of Disney, Warner Bros, HBO, and ABC studios have produced. Nobody has more valuable IP either than both Disney and Warner Bros, and Netflix has spent year's riding off of other people's IP.

As for what I think Netflix should do is continue to crank out content, but maybe focus less on quantity and more on quality moving forward. They've paved out a few good niches and created some good IP, but they do need more. I do like how they have been the place to go for some quality rom-coms over the past few years. They need to keep rocking that as I do think people still enjoy those, but just aren't willing to pay $15 to watch one in the theaters anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
I'm also curious to find out how much Wanda factors into the rest of phase 4, if at all. To my knowledge, Elizabeth Olsen isn't contracted for any additional movies.

I thought Olsen was also contracted to appear in Doctor Strange 2 as well? Or I may be getting that muddled in with the whole WandaVision ties into Doctor Strange 2 info.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012

New report out saying both Hiro and Baymax of Big Hero 6 will be joining the MCU. Interesting for sure to me, especially because Big Hero 6 is both one of my all-time favorite comic-book movies and is also I believe one of the most underrated comic book movies out there. However, I've never followed them in the comics, and I know the movie and comic book version of the characters are fairly different. Therefore, I don't really know what to think, but I'm intrigued, especially if they are anything remotely like what we got in the Disney movie.

Apparently this was falsely reported, no plan to bring them into live-action.

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah, there is a reason Netflix has been cranking out their own content by bunches over the past few years. They saw the writing on the wall coming of all the movie/TV studios creating their own services and subsequently pulling their content off most or all 3rd party streaming services like Netflix. There are a lot of people who likely subscribe to Netflix mainly to just watch shows like Friends and The Office, which Netflix now no longer has either. This is why I'm more bullish services like Disney+ and HBO Max. Yes, Netflix has created some great original programing, but ultimately it is nothing compared to the years and years of movies and TV shows made by the likes of Disney, Warner Bros, HBO, and ABC studios have produced. Nobody has more valuable IP either than both Disney and Warner Bros, and Netflix has spent year's riding off of other people's IP.

As for what I think Netflix should do is continue to crank out content, but maybe focus less on quantity and more on quality moving forward. They've paved out a few good niches and created some good IP, but they do need more. I do like how they have been the place to go for some quality rom-coms over the past few years. They need to keep rocking that as I do think people still enjoy those, but just aren't willing to pay $15 to watch one in the theaters anymore.

Honestly I popped open Netflix and there just isn't anything I want to watch on there. There is a ton of stuff but like 75% of it looks like bad SciFi network stuff.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic and HFCS

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Ok, that makes more sense then. It would have to be a multiverse situation if it were live action because San FranSokyo doesn't really exist

They could have just gone with a more comic accurate version of Big Hero 6. I could be completely wrong, cuz my wife says I am most of the time, but in my understanding the movie version is quite a bit different than the comic version. I believe the comics actually take place in Japan and they made Baymax and the other characters more kid friendly. I think San Fransokyo was made up for the movie version also. They could have just let the animated movie basically be a stand-alone with the spinoff tv series, and adapted a more comic accurate version for the live-action movie.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What is the timeline for Loki? So thanos didn’t actually kill him?

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
What is the timeline for Loki? So thanos didn’t actually kill him?

No, this the alternate timeline Loki in Endgame who grabbed the Tesseract in Avengers Tower when Hulk kicked in the door and teleported away. The series picks up with where he went on a new timeline.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
No, this the alternate timeline Loki in Endgame who grabbed the Tesseract in Avengers Tower when Hulk kicked in the door and teleported away. The series picks up with where he went on a new timeline.
Huh?? Wtf. There’s two Loki’s?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Spider-Man: No Way Home is officially the new title of the upcoming film. I like it and it makes sense as to where we are left after the last movie.

Dammit that reminds me how much I want to watch Far From Home again but it's not on any streaming services I have!
At least I can watch Homecoming on FXNow

Reactions: Cytasticlone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Huh?? Wtf. There’s two Loki’s?

That's my question. Does he eventually come back and end up dying at the hands of Thanos?

So many questions with the alternate timeline they create after End Game. Since Thanos from the past was snapped away, does he still go on to get all the stones and snap in Infinity War? Is Gamora gone forever, or will they figure something out in GotG3?
Hey @Triggermv what are the answers?

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That's my question. Does he eventually come back and end up dying at the hands of Thanos?

So many questions with the alternate timeline they create after End Game. Since Thanos from the past was snapped away, does he still go on to get all the stones and snap in Infinity War? Is Gamora gone forever, or will they figure something out in GotG3?
Agreed. You cannot do Guardians without Starlords side piece

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Its really quite simple....... I've got no clue. Ultimately, the time travel and timeline rules of Endgame are all over the board and wildly inconsistent. Therefore, I'm just going to rely on them in the upcoming series to explain things better. Shoot, both the writers of Endgame and the Directors of Endgame have given conflicting views on all the timeline stuff since the movie was released.

Last edited:

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
I can't remember if this has been posted here but I thought it was really useful. It's a weekly release schedule for MCU conntent that shows something new being released every single week this year between series' and movies. Although, now that Loki appears to be dropping on 6/11 per @Triggermv, I'm not sure if it's completely accurate any more. And, at this point with even Fiege saying it'll be theatrical only for Black Widow, I would guess that gets pushed to Late Summer or Fall/Winter as well.

MCU_Weekly_2021.jpg