Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My wife helped you out, she denied the vaccine when she was offered. Was hearing bad stories at that time and I'm popping ABs at blood draws so she is going off my AB tests. So she bumped you one up.

It is a weird thing. MrsWx tested positive and we were around her the whole time yet the other three of us didn't get it and I did not have antibodies when I donated a few weeks ago.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Without reading further, what do you normally find in these caches?
This is kind of hard to explain, but a lot of times, there's nothing in there but a log (a notebook or piece of paper type log) to sign.
The idea is not to find a treasure...the idea is the hunt. Geocaches range in size from a magnetic the size of a hearing aid battery to a full-on ammo can. The biggest we have seen is the storage compartment on a retired 2 seater plane. The larger ones have "swag" in them...mostly coins, stickers, and trinkets of the sort that you will find in a vending machine. Rule of thumb is if you take something from the cache, you replace it with something else. If the cache is big enough, we usually leave a marble. Sometimes there are "trackables" that have a unique number assigned to them. You can literally track where they have been by looking up their number on the website. We brought a trackable back from Hawaii and left it in Delaware, and it's now in England.
You find the cache using GPS coordinates. When you find it, you sign the log, and you replace it where it was hidden. You then go to the website and "log" your find on the individual cache page (each cache has its own page).
It has been a way to get off our asses and go out and wander around. It's great on road trips because there are caches at most rest areas across the country. If you give me a town name near you, I can tell you how many caches are in that town. There are a couple hundred in Ames.
It's a fun activity with kids/grandkids, too.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
This is kind of hard to explain, but a lot of times, there's nothing in there but a log (a notebook or piece of paper type log) to sign.
The idea is not to find a treasure...the idea is the hunt. Geocaches range in size from a magnetic the size of a hearing aid battery to a full-on ammo can. The biggest we have seen is the storage compartment on a retired 2 seater plane. The larger ones have "swag" in them...mostly coins, stickers, and trinkets of the sort that you will find in a vending machine. Rule of thumb is if you take something from the cache, you replace it with something else. If the cache is big enough, we usually leave a marble. Sometimes there are "trackables" that have a unique number assigned to them. You can literally track where they have been by looking up their number on the website. We brought a trackable back from Hawaii and left it in Delaware, and it's now in England.
You find the cache using GPS coordinates. When you find it, you sign the log, and you replace it where it was hidden. You then go to the website and "log" your find on the individual cache page (each cache has its own page).
It has been a way to get off our asses and go out and wander around. It's great on road trips because there are caches at most rest areas across the country. If you give me a town name near you, I can tell you how many caches are in that town. There are a couple hundred in Ames.
It's a fun activity with kids/grandkids, too.

I have debated doing stuff like this with the kids as an excuse to get outside together and go on hikes etc. Is there a website or something you suggest for getting started?

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I have debated doing stuff like this with the kids as an excuse to get outside together and go on hikes etc. Is there a website or something you suggest for getting started?
There are two levels. We started with the free level, and there are plenty of caches to be found at that level. Once we found out it was something we could enjoy together, we moved up to the premium level. I think it's $20/year, and it allows you to access a lot more caches. If you look at a map of all of the caches in your area, you will see that some of the boxes are green, and some are grey. You can click on the green ones and read the descriptions and the logs from people who found them previously. You can't access the pages of the grey boxes unless you have a premium membership, but you can see where they are approximately...and sometimes you can find them despite not knowing the specifics. You can sign the cache log, but would not be able to log the find online.

The video on the front page of the website shows you all the really creative ways that people hide the caches, and the kind of things you find inside them.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not even close to that. If you can find a shot you are lucky. Keeping this from the cave I will stop here but this rollout is dumfounding even compared to other VERY red states.

Whatevs.

My sister and BIL live in Iowa and go their 1st shot. Of course they got it in Illinois. :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I bet they call saying it's done either right after my mom leaves for work, she works a block from the dealership, or right when I get to work tomorrow. Hopefully they wash it this time, they didn't a couple weeks ago.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SCyclone

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
The real National Treasure.
Today we found a beautiful walk along the Skunk river from Lincolnway to almost 13th. In T-SHIRTS!! Let me tell ya, getting me to walk that far with my back, knees & feet is no small feat (sorry, pun not intended). Giving me a goal encourages me to walk, so that's a good thing. :)

And sometimes you DO find treasures, if only on a personal level. In January, we found this little gold-painted wood figurine in a cache. She matches beautifully with the angel orchestra that was a part of our Christmas decorations when I was a child. :)

angel band.jpg angel.jpg

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Color coordinated my clothes with my slides today. That's a level of dork I hadn't found before.
I made sure everyone knew it, too.
Did slides match clothes or clothes match slides?

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
We got a notification about a new trackable. There's one in the ISS, and now there is one on Mars!

Reactions: VeloClone
Mar 1, 2012
Iowa
Hy-Vee has had a lot of vaccine appointments available lately for those who are eligible, looks like they received Pfizer shipment. If there aren’t any showing, check throughout day.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron