Dis the Ducks

What is the best animal

• Total voters

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I’ve heard that’s the case, Skinner’s Butte, because it kind of sounds like butt. If the fictional Springfield is Springfield Oregon like Groening said it makes a lot of sense. Springfield and Eugene are basically the same town. Some of the other nearby towns are spoofed.
The Jebediah Springfield statue is almost certainly the Pioneer Father statue on the Oregon campus that was ripped down during protests this summer.
Groening also did Futurama and this joke is pretty accurate. View attachment 80087
Skinner's Butte! That's right. I just remember when I was visiting Eugene (sister was in grad school there, lives in Portland) my boys were super impressed at the stuff that inspired the Simpsons names.

They took that statue down??? WTF???

Reactions: RatherBeYachting

RatherBeYachting

Dec 21, 2020
Oregon
Sorry if this was too much information. Kind of depressing reminiscing about this topic. Bummed that we weren't able to experience these great Cyclone traditions this year.:( Guess it will make us appreciate them more next year!!

Go State!

That was perfect, thank you.

I like the cannon, I wish we had something similar.
The player walk and greet is a cool thing, we do something similar called the March to Victory. It might be a universal thing, not sure.
I can’t believe the bandhadn’t been mentioned much before. Ours isn’t much to write home about, especially when compared to some schools - Cal brought their entire band last year which is like triple the size of ours, complete with elaborate uniforms, perfect Cal logo script formations, and a drum major flipping around in a three foot tall hat. Ours is more contemporary, they play a lot of new songs or get creative with song selection. Like playing the Hawaii Five-0 theme after Marcus Mariota would make a great play.

Let’s hope 2021 allows a return to normalcy so we can experience our respective traditions again.

RatherBeYachting

Dec 21, 2020
Oregon
Skinner's Butte! That's right. I just remember when I was visiting Eugene (sister was in grad school there, lives in Portland) my boys were super impressed at the stuff that inspired the Simpsons names.

They took that statue down??? WTF???
As someone who was raised on The Simpsons I love all the Portland connections. A guy I used to play ball with is a relative of Matt Groening, his grandmother is Homer Groening’s sister, and he came to his school one time. Phil Knight is also in the cartoon game, he’s the owner of Laika studios (Coraline, Boxtrolls, Paranorman, etc) and his son Travis runs it.

Yep, protestors tore down the Pioneer Father and Mother statues, moved indoors now. A lot of statues went down around the state this year.

• Sad
Reactions: NWICY and 20eyes

GoDuckxs349

Dec 21, 2020
Thanks for the replies.

IE Sweet Caroline, this isn’t a football tradition, but one of Eugene’s best known bars, Max’s Tavern, has people stand on the benches and sing Sweet Caroline before closing.
Max’s Tavern is supposedly the inspiration for Moe’s Tavern in The Simpson’s. Creator Matt Groening is from Portland and named his characters after Portland streets, but he went to Evergreen College, not Oregon. The Geoducks of Evergreen make U of O and Berkeley look like BYU and Liberty.

You made it to closing time at Max's??? Hope you were crawling distance.... LOL

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Thanks for the replies.

IE Sweet Caroline, this isn’t a football tradition, but one of Eugene’s best known bars, Max’s Tavern, has people stand on the benches and sing Sweet Caroline before closing.
Max’s Tavern is supposedly the inspiration for Moe’s Tavern in The Simpson’s. Creator Matt Groening is from Portland and named his characters after Portland streets, but he went to Evergreen College, not Oregon. The Geoducks of Evergreen make U of O and Berkeley look like BYU and Liberty.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kval.c...at-eugene-bar-nixed-due-to-atrocious-behavior

Looks like there is now a "new" Max's Tavern? :oops:

Last edited:

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I'd be down with the all Black Unis if we could wear the 2000 Football Helmet as a tribute to the first ISU Bowl Champion! That would look slick.

RatherBeYachting

Dec 21, 2020
Oregon
You made it to closing time at Max's??? Hope you were crawling distance.... LOL
Haha, you just stumble down 13th and the next thing you know you’re in a bed. Not necessarily yours, but a bed. Taylor’s (RIP) was the one harder to make it to the end; if you don’t get in a fight, get kicked out, or pick up a roofied drink then that means you left early.

RatherBeYachting

Dec 21, 2020
Oregon

Same place, not sure why the “new” designation - I think it got a remodel like 20 years ago which was before my time. I’ve heard it was more dive-y previously.

The most well known campus bar was Taylor’s, and they shut it down for good last year, after several ownership changes and loses of liquor licenses. The police got tired of coming out there all the time, supposedly bartenders were spiking drinks, and they had like a sex dungeon in the basement. They also served underage patrons, that one I can confirm as the former owner of an ID belonging to someone five years older, 70 pounds heavier with a different eye and hair color.

In 2017 our star WR Darren Carrington, on the verge of setting all school receiving records, got too soused on his nightly visit there and crashed into the McDonald’s drive through. That was his fourth strike, Carrington was given an extra one because he was really good.
Carrington had previously been suspended six games after failing an NCAA drug test before the national championship right after a Rose Bowl in which he had 120 yards and 2 TDs. While suspended he got a citation for minor with an open alcohol container. He then allegedly broke some guys arm where was identified because he was shirtless with his name and jersey number tattooed on his back and because he was yelling “I’m Darren Carrington, San Diego California, Oregon Ducks, best receiver in the country.” He is also far from the dumbest we’ve had.

Does Ames have any such establishments with such stellar reputations? Entertaining stories of misbehavior? Trying to learn all I can before I switch to football trash talk tomorrow and y’all get even more tired of me.

• Informative
Reactions: farm85

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Even though Oregon has worn 100 different types of green as well as blue, orange, gray, pink, black, etc we also have some who want school colors.
Only the Penn State, USC, Bama crowd does that. Even Notre Dame has strayed, Michigan is wearing Jordan brand.
Here is one of my favorite black units, replace that metallic red with gold chrome/foil and it’s a sharp look.
View attachment 80083
We won’t do much gold with our black. Don’t want the hawkeye color combination. We don’t want to be considered douchecanoes before we even start.

RatherBeYachting

Dec 21, 2020
Oregon
We won’t do much gold with our black. Don’t want the hawkeye color combination. We don’t want to be considered douchecanoes before we even start.
I didn’t even consider that, swap that gold for cardinal. You’ll have to excuse me, Iowa Hawkeyes football isn’t exactly relevant in these parts. The last time I saw them play a full game, in the 2016 Rose Bowl, they were being publicly humiliated by a Stanford team Oregon beat while only attempting 12 passes. Looked like Iowa was wearing lead shoes on defense while using the Madden ‘96 for Sega Genesis playbook on offense.
Fun Oregon fact: John Madden dropped out of the University of Oregon.

Reactions: t-noah

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I didn’t even consider that, swap that gold for cardinal. You’ll have to excuse me, Iowa Hawkeyes football isn’t exactly relevant in these parts. The last time I saw them play a full game, in the 2016 Rose Bowl, they were being publicly humiliated by a Stanford team Oregon beat while only attempting 12 passes. Looked like Iowa was wearing lead shoes on defense while using the Madden ‘96 for Sega Genesis playbook on offense.
WHAT?!?!?

LOL.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...n-of-iowa-during-rose-bowl-halftime-show/amp/

Personally, I found this halftime routine to be hilarious! Poor Squawkeyes (with ANF on their helmets..) ;)

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Same place, not sure why the “new” designation - I think it got a remodel like 20 years ago which was before my time. I’ve heard it was more dive-y previously.

The most well known campus bar was Taylor’s, and they shut it down for good last year, after several ownership changes and loses of liquor licenses. The police got tired of coming out there all the time, supposedly bartenders were spiking drinks, and they had like a sex dungeon in the basement. They also served underage patrons, that one I can confirm as the former owner of an ID belonging to someone five years older, 70 pounds heavier with a different eye and hair color.

In 2017 our star WR Darren Carrington, on the verge of setting all school receiving records, got too soused on his nightly visit there and crashed into the McDonald’s drive through. That was his fourth strike, Carrington was given an extra one because he was really good.
Carrington had previously been suspended six games after failing an NCAA drug test before the national championship right after a Rose Bowl in which he had 120 yards and 2 TDs. While suspended he got a citation for minor with an open alcohol container. He then allegedly broke some guys arm where was identified because he was shirtless with his name and jersey number tattooed on his back and because he was yelling “I’m Darren Carrington, San Diego California, Oregon Ducks, best receiver in the country.” He is also far from the dumbest we’ve had.

Does Ames have any such establishments with such stellar reputations? Entertaining stories of misbehavior? Trying to learn all I can before I switch to football trash talk tomorrow and y’all get even more tired of me.

I'm too old to know the current bar scene in Ames, BUT the one that has endured for the ages is the Tip Top Lounge, total dive bar that is extremely popular on Sat am's before football games. Beer and Chili at the Tip Top is an ISU tradition if you are into FB and drinking everyone from college kids to 60+ yr olds in there on game day.

It's been great having you guys stop in CF and visit, kind of makes me wish FB wasn't scheduled out a decade+ I think you folks would be fun to tailgate with in either Ames or Eugene.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

They aren't relevant to us either but we have to put up with them.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yep, I remember the Hawks being all bent out of shape saying how it dissed the state of Iowa blah,blah,blah. Hell I graduated from the Ag college and found it pretty darn funny. Plus anyone that knows anything about the Stanford band is that they are pretty darn irreverent.
ToE butthurt is a precious, glorious thing.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85 and NWICY

GoDuckxs349

Dec 21, 2020
Haha, you just stumble down 13th and the next thing you know you’re in a bed. Not necessarily yours, but a bed. Taylor’s (RIP) was the one harder to make it to the end; if you don’t get in a fight, get kicked out, or pick up a roofied drink then that means you left early.

Ok, you've definitely spent some time at Max's LOL Use to know the guy that owned Taylors in the early 80's. I lived at 16th and Patterson as an undergrad. So both were within crawling distance.

And yea, Taylors certainly went down hill from my days. FYI; the reason their was an espresso bar out front was because Starbucks basically said they were putting an espresso bar there or Bobby (the owner at the time) could possibly expect a horse head in his bed. (Think God Father movie). Bobby went with a single digit salute and contracted with a local coffee brewer. Starbucks eventually got into the U of O bookstore across the street and took over Duffy's Tavern down the block and turned it into a Starbuck store.

Last edited: