Bowl Game

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I could have sworn that the conference champion is guaranteed to go to one of the other NY6 bowls if the Sugar bowl is unavailable.

I thought the NY6 bowls were Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Peach, and Cotton. Sugar Bowl isn't available as it's a playoff game, therefore that's why everyone is slotting the Big 12 champ into the Cotton Bowl.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I thought the NY6 bowls were Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Peach, and Cotton. Sugar Bowl isn't available as it's a playoff game, therefore that's why everyone is slotting the Big 12 champ into the Cotton Bowl.
Assume this is accurate. ESPN has been slotting the Big 12 champ in the Cotton Bowl for some time now.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I could have sworn that the conference champion is guaranteed to go to one of the other NY6 bowls if the Sugar bowl is unavailable.
Correct. Big 12 champ is guaranteed a NY6 Bowl. Would have been Sugar but that is in the playoff rotation so next best guess is it will end up being the Cotton Bowl.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
If we win big xii it’s cotton bowl. If we lose it’s Alamo bowl.
Two fairly awesome options if that is what it comes down to. Cotton is a dream for us, Alamo would be another excellent season.

I think we beat WVU, this team is developing the killer instinct we have all dreamed and hoped it would.

WVU is weaker at most positions than Texas. I know their D is statistically really strong but we have the best run game in the league when it's firing. Brock is playing excellent ball. Charlie is coming on strong.

Get it done on 7 days rest boys.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
While it might make sense in a COVID era, it seems dumb to send the Big 12 champion to the Cotton Bowl immediately after playing in the Big 12 championship game in the exact same stadium. Fiesta would make more sense.

• Agree
Reactions: Scruff

CyHawk1605

Jun 22, 2020
If you win out, you’ll probably be in the Fiesta or Cotton. If you lose, probably Alamo.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
There are a lot of possibilities. Not as simple as Cotton or Alamo. Actually, since the Sugar is a semifinal, the Big12 Champ (assuming no playoff) will be placed based on "best matchup and location". That's why most have the Cotton slotted, but could be any of Peach, Fiesta, or Cotton. This year the Orange is ACC vs best of non playoff SEC/Big10/ND. The Big 12 Bowl tie-ins and NY6 priority are garbage, but that's a story for another thread. For example, a Pac12 champ not in the playoff (USC or Oregon) might face a Big 12 Champ in the Fiesta based on Match up and Geography.

Here are a few good reads:
NY6 for dummies

BYU write up

Where things really get interesting are if we manage to climb the rankings over the next 3 weeks. With a win over WVU and inevitable losses of teams ahead of us we could get into that 6-8 range. If we lose a close one to a #5-8 OU, the ranking might drop to 10 or 11, depending on other circumstances. That would create a good chance of picking up a NY6 at-large spot. If Cincy doesn't make the playoff, BYU is screwed.

I'm rooting against basically anyone ahead of us, but particularly A&M, Indiana vs Wiscy/Purdue, Cincy in AAC CG, & Miami vs. UNC. Those are the teams that would box us out of an at-large bid with a loss to OU. This week, with a Top 20 win on the road, we very well may pass Indiana, OU, and possibly Georgia. Get to #11 this week, get the job done against WVU, and hope for chaos.

Given the strange year and the Ohio State situation, and matchups yet to be played, it's not inconceivable that OU could get a playoff spot with 2 losses. Then we would automatically backdoor into the NY6. Need an ND loss before ACC CG or another Clemson loss to ND in ACC CG. If they split, I think they get 2 bids and box out a 1 loss A&M, Miami, AA Champ Cincy.
A lot still to unfold, but I can't believe ISU will be in the mix of NY6 discussion win or lose the Big12 CG.

delt4cy

May 11, 2006
Atlanta, GA
There are a lot of possibilities. Not as simple as Cotton or Alamo. Actually, since the Sugar is a semifinal, the Big12 Champ (assuming no playoff) will be placed based on "best matchup and location". That's why most have the Cotton slotted, but could be any of Peach, Fiesta, or Cotton. This year the Orange is ACC vs best of non playoff SEC/Big10/ND. The Big 12 Bowl tie-ins and NY6 priority are garbage, but that's a story for another thread. For example, a Pac12 champ not in the playoff (USC or Oregon) might face a Big 12 Champ in the Fiesta based on Match up and Geography.

Here are a few good reads:
NY6 for dummies

BYU write up

Where things really get interesting are if we manage to climb the rankings over the next 3 weeks. With a win over WVU and inevitable losses of teams ahead of us we could get into that 6-8 range. If we lose a close one to a #5-8 OU, the ranking might drop to 10 or 11, depending on other circumstances. That would create a good chance of picking up a NY6 at-large spot. If Cincy doesn't make the playoff, BYU is screwed.

I'm rooting against basically anyone ahead of us, but particularly A&M, Indiana vs Wiscy/Purdue, Cincy in AAC CG, & Miami vs. UNC. Those are the teams that would box us out of an at-large bid with a loss to OU. This week, with a Top 20 win on the road, we very well may pass Indiana, OU, and possibly Georgia. Get to #11 this week, get the job done against WVU, and hope for chaos.

Given the strange year and the Ohio State situation, and matchups yet to be played, it's not inconceivable that OU could get a playoff spot with 2 losses. Then we would automatically backdoor into the NY6. Need an ND loss before ACC CG or another Clemson loss to ND in ACC CG. If they split, I think they get 2 bids and box out a 1 loss A&M, Miami, AA Champ Cincy.
A lot still to unfold, but I can't believe ISU will be in the mix of NY6 discussion win or lose the Big12 CG.

Correction: If OU wins Big12 CG and somehow were to sneak into Playoffs with 2 losses, we would not backdoor into a NY6. Would have to qualify for an at-large spot by finishing in the Top 10ish. (Another reason our NY6 affiliation is inferior to B1G and SEC)

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
My worst case scenario is based on our great showing of fans travelling two years ago. I would think they want us back, but in a year of covid who knows what they would do.

I would assume this year will be all about who drives the most tv eye balls and physical attendance won’t be a big factor for consideration.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
with OSU likely out, b12 could back door playoff spot. We beat wvu and Oklahoma and I’d imagine that #4 spot is ours. Would be notre dame, Clemson, bama, us or Oklahoma.
No, A&M gets the easy spot. They lost to bama and don’t have to play a CCG. Will stay with one loss. The committee has proven that if you lost to what they feel is the best team, they will still put you in there, even though you have already lost to one of them.

• Agree
Reactions: Scruff

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Since Sugar bowl part of playoffs the big 12 has contract with cotton bowl in the years the Sugar bowl is playoff. It is on big 12 website.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I still have my doubts on just how many bowls there is going to end up being? I think we will be in a high enough tier of one that it will get played but I can see many of these lower level bowls still getting canceled.

Reactions: jctisu

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I still have my doubts on just how many bowls there is going to end up being? I think we will be in a high enough tier of one that it will get played but I can see many of these lower level bowls still getting canceled.
Why would a bowl that typically gets 20% of a stadium get cancelled but a larger one that fills up wouldn’t? I would say the middle ones like a pin stripe or independence are the most in jeopardy.

psychlones

Jun 13, 2006
Ames, IA
I would say the middle ones like a pin stripe or independence are the most in jeopardy.

I would say on at least one count there you would be right!

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

jaj040

Nut Cup Wearer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 21, 2015
Why would a bowl that typically gets 20% of a stadium get cancelled but a larger one that fills up wouldn’t? I would say the middle ones like a pin stripe or independence are the most in jeopardy.
Pinstripe was canceled yesterday

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

ThePUNisher96

Mar 14, 2019
Seeing what Lombardi did to NW, please give us them.
Yes, remember, blowing out Northwestern is what gave us the name Cyclones in the first place. Wouldn't mind witnessing a repeat of that.

Bowl projections are one thing that's really hard for me to gauge accurately, but at this point I do think Alamo bowl would be the worst case scenario.

Reactions: CYCLNST8