Post-game podcast from Austin,.....WOW!!!!

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry GTO, but we both know that'll never happen.
Oh, I know. I was being sarcastic. At least I hope we play our best game against OU and prove a few naysayers wrong.

Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Oh, I know. I was being sarcastic. At least I hope we play our best game against OU and prove a few naysayers wrong.

I was surprised we didn't get a poll today. I'll even give you a line for one of them : Best assistant coach for ISU today Tom Herman. ;)

Reactions: GTO

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I'd disagree with this. I don't know that our guys are that tough, but they certainly aren't fans. For example, the guys writing at the Register for Iowa State aren't fans. You may be confusing the guys writing at the Register for Iowa, who are clearly fans.
Randy Pete is tough to deal with because of his stupid questions.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Was on the Texas 247 site for a while after the game ended.

Three different posters alluded to the Texas roster ranking 6th (one said 5th) in "star" evaluation.

Coaching might make some difference.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Here is a good article from Pete Thamel on Herman’s hot seat.

My favorite part?

Would Matt Campbell jump down from Iowa State? It’s uncertain, as he has always been projected as more of a Midwestern fit.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
How many blue blood programs are no longer such? Nebraska, Michigan, Penn St, Texas, UCLA, USC, Florida State... Changing coaches every 4 to 5 years is the equation for failure. For the ass that TH is, he's still the best option for their future. But, like so many have eluded to, the problem is not so much the coach as it is the 'expectations' and 'egos' of the 'entitled' institution. I pray to God, WE never become that arrogant when we sip the cup of success.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
I heard that they only have two 5-stars on their roster and tOSU has more 5-stars from Texas than any Texas school has.

They have money but there is a five school tier in recruiting that is way way above the next tier that Texas is in.
That's true - but within the conference they have a big advantage. On paper, anyway. Which makes their mediocrity and our success even more fun.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/251/class/2020

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
How many blue blood programs are no longer such? Nebraska, Michigan, Penn St, Texas, UCLA, USC, Florida State... Changing coaches every 4 to 5 years is the equation for failure. For the ass that TH is, he's still the best option for their future. But, like so many have eluded to, the problem is not so much the coach as it is the 'expectations' and 'egos' of the 'entitled' institution. I pray to God, WE never become that arrogant when we sip the cup of success.
This exactly. So many of those programs need a good housecleaning which would require comfort for the new coach that they will be given the time to break things down, clean house and build them back up again. None of the bluebloods will give a new coach the necessary time. All they see is that we have all of this talent; it should be as easy as pushing the right buttons like a video game. Having a bad football culture is much worse than having no football culture.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

My favorite part?
Would Matt Campbell jump down from Iowa State? To Texas??

9986763.gif

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I heard that they only have two 5-stars on their roster and tOSU has more 5-stars from Texas than any Texas school has.

They have money but there is a five school tier in recruiting that is way way above the next tier that Texas is in.

I don't know what the number is but Texa$ probably has 10X the number of 4 stars we have.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

A jubilant Hall said it’s about “five-star culture versus five-star players.” At Texas, it’s never about the talent. School officials are left wondering about the coaching.

Interesting comments at end of article.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I think Mack Brown and Charlie Strong are having the last laugh.
I’m no Herman fan, but the program wasn’t good at the end of the Brown era and Strong’s tenure was a disaster. Texas’ culture was in bad shape when Herman took over. Getting coddled superstars who have probably not faced many challenges in football to put in the work needed to be elite is easier said than done. People on the outside think getting great recruiting classes is a majority of winning. In the end in college football good coaches win and bad coaches lose. Talent doesn’t overcome mediocre coaching, scouting, and player development.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

I said this same thing in other threads. The college football landscape has changed. Your name doesn't carry you as much as it used to. You have to allow a coach the time to install their system and this isn't just about calling plays, it's getting the kids to buy into what you are doing as well.

I think Herman's biggest problem right now, is not respecting other teams that in years past would be considered beneath them. The fake punt? What was the purpose of that? Punt, pin ISU deep, we weren't moving the ball great and Texas had the lead and play for field position. Then the 4th down try? Take the points, go up by 7, make us tie. I think if they kick the field goal there, they probably win. Yes, we still punted after that, but that stop completely changed the game.

Not that I dont think ISU ever doubted they could win, but that play lit a fire in ISU, you could just see a "We got this" in our last drive and put UT on their heels.

Reactions: farm85 and Cloneon

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008

My favorite part?

Lol.

"Do you try and back up the Brinks truck for an established Power Five coach like Oregon’s Mario Cristobal, Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly, Penn State’s James Franklin, Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck or Northwestern’s Pat Fitzgerald?"