Breece Hall and Troy Davis Impressions

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
For us young bucks that didn’t have the pleasure of watching Troy Davis tear up defenses on a regular bases...Are the impressions somewhat similar watching what Breece has done this year? I know Troy was on a different level but I was just curious if the people that got to see both have similar impressions watching Breece.

Oh trying to compare the two is difficult as they had two completely different running styles. Davis was brutal in that he would run over people before breaking into the clear. Hall actually reminds me more of Dexter Green back in the 70s. A bit more elusive and breakaway speed.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah and Aclone

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
If I had to compare Breece to a former Cyclone running back it would be Dwayne Crutchfield.
I’d disagree a great deal here. Crutchfield was the most physically violent running back I’ve ever seen. Against OU their all big eight linebacker said his ears were still ringing after Crutchfield hit him. That was also Crutchfield’s downfall. He ended up getting hurt his senior year. He was the type of back that if you were a safety and he was coming at you...just fall down or run away. He literally had 31” thighs (just like Earl Campbell) and you couldn’t tackle him by going for his legs. He was UNIQUE.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
My favorite quote about Crunchfield (a nickname often used to describe Crutchfield)...

“After Crutchfield had ripped through Oklahoma's defense for 179 yards last season. Sooner Linebacker Mike Coast said, "I have a bruised ear and a headache from trying to tackle him. It's almost like he was trying to hit us."”

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The way I would explain it is troy was like barry sanders and Breece is like Walter peyton

I hate making comparisons like Walter Payton but I had been thinking that Breece glides smoothly like Walter Payton...right before they truck you.

His big runs look like he's just taking his time and gliding, but there was one particular run, either a 3rd or 4th down short yardage conversion where he just completely steam rolled two KSU defenders in direct collision with both.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am too old and too unathletic to do an impression of either. ;) Plus, even at my modest 5'-9", I am quite a bit taller than Troy although he is still approximately 20,000 times tougher than me.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I hate making comparisons like Walter Payton but I had been thinking that Breece glides smoothly like Walter Payton...right before they truck you.

His big runs look like he's just taking his time and gliding, but there was one particular run, either a 3rd or 4th down short yardage conversion where he just completely steam rolled two KSU defenders in direct collision with both.

There will never be another peyton but Breece is similar imo

Reactions: t-noah

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
I’d disagree a great deal here. Crutchfield was the most physically violent running back I’ve ever seen. Against OU their all big eight linebacker said his ears were still ringing after Crutchfield hit him. That was also Crutchfield’s downfall. He ended up getting hurt his senior year. He was the type of back that if you were a safety and he was coming at you...just fall down or run away. He literally had 31” thighs (just like Earl Campbell) and you couldn’t tackle him by going for his legs. He was UNIQUE.

I agree. Crutchfield was the most physically dominate running back
I’ve ever seen in an ISU uniform. Complete physical mismatch who could fly.

Reactions: acoustimac

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
I like the Blaise comparisons. One name that hasn’t been mentioned is Joe Henderson. Given that I was fairly young when he was in school, I remember that he was quite the physical specimen as a back, and a good runner at the time. As to the type of back he was, again I was young and don’t recall his style.

Can anyone else speak to this?

• Informative

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

His real downfall was cocaine

• Informative

mattyheiden

May 3, 2011
MN
Blaise Bryant was a good RB and had a great season in '89. I think '90 was cut short by injury. He had a pretty decent career in the Canadian Football league too.

I think people tend to forget Darren Davis and to me, Darren and Troy Davis were the most productive RBs in Cyclone history. Very compact and very quick even though they supposedly lacked top end speed. Troy only played 3 years at Iowa State and ran for over 4000 yards, mostly in 2 seasons. His brother Darren was a guy that played in the slot in HS but was a very effective RB as well. I was in Boulder for the wild game in '96 when Darren Davis had his 1st TD. Both were really quick and could get to top speed very quickly.

1. Troy Davis
  2. Darren Davis
  3. Dwayne Crutchfield
  4. David Montgomery
  5. Blaise Bryant

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
The Davis brother's predate my days of watching ISU. I love watching the old highlight videos though! I treasured watching David Montgomery and thought it would be a while before we saw another running back of his caliber, then Breece Hall comes along.

I'm going to enjoy every second watching this young man. Whether or not he ever makes it to stats of the legend Troy Davis doesn't matter. This guy is dang good at what he does! If he isn't a long time NFL running back, then I clearly don't know what is.

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
Troy delivered far more punishment that he took. Low center of gravity. Troy was fast and very good at anticipating contact. He would level off at full speed and after contact bounce back up to a full sprint. All but unstoppable at the Collegiate level. Didn’t translate as well in the Pro’s. Hall probably has more professional upside.

I agree with this. It was a given that Troy would beat the first defender every time! He was always moving to beat the 2nd or 3rd guy. Hall has that first guy beat most time and is getting much better at that 2nd and third. Hall is taller and will add weight and become a bigger beast! I just don’t think we will ever see a Troy Davis again. I am old and bias.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Hall reminds me of Marcus Allen, he used to glide while he ran and was deceptively fast.

I listened to a K-State after game podcast and they were complimentary to Hall's ability, but they made a comment that he wasn't that fast, funny!

• Haha
Reactions: Peter and t-noah

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron