Billy Tubbs passes away

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
"SIT DOWN TUBBS"!!

And this was back when the students were sitting right behind the opponents bench. He brought some really good teams, and great players to Hilton and man was that entertainment! Thanks for the memories you, Norm, Johnny and the rest gave us in your hey-day.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

"When I was basically homeless at the age of 13 was probably my only down time,” Tubbs told The Oklahoman a few years ago. “I've had a blessed life. I'm pretty much always happy.”

Last edited:

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Man, I loved those days. As someone said there were such characters coaching in the league, and every place was unique in it's own way.

We had Hilton Magic and "Here's Johnny!".... Missouri had the "Antlers" fans that were awful and Norm.... and OU had Billy Tubbs and that Lloyd Noble Arena there was always like 90 degrees.

OU had some great teams back then though. I just loved Mookie Blaylock and Wayman Tisdale. I went to a ton of games back then. So fun.

Reactions: 0u812

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Rest in Peace Coach.

I used to give you hell through the TV but I really miss those days of Big 8 basketball. As opposing coaches I hated every one of them but I would have gladly drank a beer with any of them.

A good game of Texas Hold 'Em with Johnny, Billy and Norm would have been epic.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
My favorite Billy Tubbs story is one that my mom tells. Earlyish in the Orr years, we were playing Oklahoma and during a late game timeout Tubbs just rode the refs the entire timeout. As normal, Iowa State kind of took their time after the timeout getting set up. Apparently Billy had spent the entire timeout trying to get the refs to give Oklahoma the ball right away and they did, so they were able to score before Iowa State was ready. I suspect that my mom could still muster some anger about this ;)

Reactions: NWICY

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Oklahoma had success nationally in the ‘30s and ‘40s, including 3 Final Fours and a national title. But From ’48 until ’83, made the NCAA Tournament only once. In addition to a national runner-up and one Elite 8, Tubbs led OU to a 1 seed four times (including 3 straight ’88 to ’90), and 10 straight appearances as a single-digit seed.

He was the OU version of Johnny Orr -- coincidentally each started and finished at the respectively school the same seasons. (80-81 to 93-94).

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
My favorite Billy Tubbs story is one that my mom tells. Earlyish in the Orr years, we were playing Oklahoma and during a late game timeout Tubbs just rode the refs the entire timeout. As normal, Iowa State kind of took their time after the timeout getting set up. Apparently Billy had spent the entire timeout trying to get the refs to give Oklahoma the ball right away and they did, so they were able to score before Iowa State was ready. I suspect that my mom could still muster some anger about this ;)
I was at that game in Norman. The refs told Orr several times to get in the floor. Eventually they let OU inbound the ball while we were still in the huddle.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Favorite Billy Tubbs moment at Hilton.
Hilton crowd was booing Tubbs relentlessly as he walks off the court at halftime.. Billy just smiles, points at the scoreboard and keeps on walking.

Reactions: 0u812

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Favorite Billy Tubbs moment at Hilton.
Hilton crowd was booing Tubbs relentlessly as he walks off the court at halftime.. Billy just smiles, points at the scoreboard and keeps on walking.

I think that was the game that Tom Sheaffer (sp?) made the game winning shot and everyone stood and pointed at the scoreboard as Billy walked off the floor.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I remember his players and coaches constantly talking to the refs during timeouts. Hated them. Good teams, though.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes