Ways to Cook Rabbit

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/species/rabbit/rabbit-safety-health

I’ve never had rabbit before, but the idea of cooking one over an open fire mountain man style is appealing. It sounds like you do need to be careful when handling the rabbit and check it’s liver for spots before you eat it. Also make sure it’s not undercooked.
Not to worry. I am the kind of person who can eat an animal, but cannot bring myself to kill and clean an animal.

Yes, I know...

Reactions: Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Rule back when I hunted was to not hunt until there's been a good hard frost to kill bugs or worms that could infect animals but honestly I never knew if that really made a difference.

We'd usually crockpot it.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
It is an honest question. A Foodie question.

Making fun of people who are struggling is a bad look.

I could say it’s an honest answer to a question. Or I could trust that perhaps you’ll think of that prior to posting yourself in the future huh.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I don't own a gun.

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
So are you going to set out a box trap with a carrot in it?
Well that is the rub. I would buy it at HyVee (farm raised) or online.

Point is, I want to re-create the old-school, open fire experience.

Well, OK - without killing and cleaning it myself.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Has anyone ever cooked Rabbit over a wood fire, Jeremiah Johnson style? Everything I read says "no"

But back in the day...

I am curious.

Yes. Gut it, skin it, lather it with butter and herbs, and rotisserie it over a fire. Pour whiskey or apple juice over it as it cooks.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I can remember tha Fout' a July.
Runnin' thru tha backwoodz bare.
And I can still hear my old houn'dog barkin'.
Chasin' down a hoodoo der.
Chasinnnnn' down a hoodo der.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I don't know what Jerimiah Johnson style is, but yes over a fire. Delicious, much better than the rest the rabbit our survival instructor made us boil in a tin can. Tasteless and awful, except the eyeballs were salty.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
I don't know what Jerimiah Johnson style is, but yes over a fire. Delicious, much better than the rest the rabbit our survival instructor made us boil in a tin can. Tasteless and awful, except the eyeballs were salty.
It was at the end of the movie. He had a rabbit on a spit, over an open fire. My kids and i have always wondered.