Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I grew up in a rural school district that was made up of 3 towns. Each town had it's own K-4 grades with all the 5th graders bused to one of those schools, all the 6th graders to another and the junior high to the third. The High School was in the country between the three towns. In Kindergarten we had one classroom with one teacher. Mrs. Henderson was a mountain of a woman - easily over 6' and probably over 200 pounds but the most gentle soul you will ever meet. By 1st grade we had a main room with all of the 1st and 2nd graders together then we left for a few classes with different teachers. Same for 3rd and 4th grade. By 5th grade we were regularly moving classroom to classroom for different classes with different teachers.

Yes, Kindergarten was almost 50 years ago. Rest in peace, Mrs. Henderson.
Also when I say he didn’t change until 9th grade, I mean 1-8 (no K then) was the same teacher. One room school house.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And went for two (in OT?) and the holder trying to touch pass it to our TE, who was our best receiver, and threw too soft.
Holder (back up punter) didn't account for the head wind. This is why I think that the holder should always have the same number as one of your back up QBs if he isn't one of your back up QBs. It would give you a chance to bring in the back up QB with a chance that it isn't noticed.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Also when I say he didn’t change until 9th grade, I mean 1-8 (no K then) was the same teacher. One room school house.
In 1st through 4th grade we always had a homeroom desk next to a kid in the other class (1st/2nd grade or 3rd/4th grade). I hadn't seen the 3rd grader I sat next to when I was in 4th grade since probably 5th grade but he ended up with season tickets at Jack Trice for several years right next to my brother.

• Funny
Reactions: BCClone

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
I'm probably this >< much older than your kiddos, and we didn't have a HUGE school, but in first grade we switched teachers for language arts. I don't remember doing that in second grade, but definitely changed classes in third grade for math, and my homeroom teacher was the teacher of the upper language arts class, so I didn't switch.
Im pretty sure this is how we did it in elementary. We had 2 sections in my grade and we switched for one subject. I think it was usually language arts and social studies. I was more concerned about not getting caught playing tackle football at recess though so I could very easily just have bad memory.

Now where did I put that thing I was looking for.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
You could start the manager against NE and be fine. They are far from good, a shell of their old days.
Oh yeah, we could definitely be fine. It’s just nebraska is one of two teams that I never want Wisconsin to lose to (obviously the other one is Iowa).

Run the wildcat regularly against that "black shirts" defense. Nebraska did it with Rex Burkhead against ISU years ago and eked out a win. ISU should have had that game but Nebraska was continually able to do just enough to get by.
I think the next guy we would start is our hb groshek (Who was a qb in high school) so it’s a legitimate possibility

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Lew was in one of those until about 5th grade when his family moved to Iowa. And even then, his four oldest siblings were in the same class. Single birth, 14 months, single birth, 12 months, twins...and the oldest was held back one grade.

Edit: Lew says there was only 10 months between baby 2 & babies 3 & 4 (fraternal twins, one boy, one girl). The next sister was about 18 months later and he was about 20 months after her. Six kids, with the oldest barely five. And four more after a break of just over 2 years. Big YIKES!

Last edited:
Reactions: BCClone

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Holder (back up punter) didn't account for the head wind. This is why I think that the holder should always have the same number as one of your back up QBs if he isn't one of your back up QBs. It would give you a chance to bring in the back up QB with a chance that it isn't noticed.
Yeah - we were there - you could see the wind just lift it a tad at one point. Juuuuuust enough to put it out of reach. :(

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Lew was in one of those until about 5th grade when his family moved to Iowa. And even then, his four oldest siblings were in the same class. Single birth, 14 months, single birth, 12 months, twins...and the oldest was held back one grade.
Heck of a graduation party that year.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012

Hol' up.

@ImJustKCClone , you're saying they all graduated the same year? Or they were just all in the same classroom?

My mom, when she first started teaching, ('69-'70 school year) she taught a 3rd/4th grade classroom. I'm not sure if it was that way all the way through until she "stopped" teaching when she had me.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Hol' up.

@ImJustKCClone , you're saying they all graduated the same year? Or they were just all in the same classroom?

My mom, when she first started teaching, ('69-'70 school year) she taught a 3rd/4th grade classroom. I'm not sure if it was that way all the way through until she "stopped" teaching when she had me.
Well...three of them did. The oldest quit & started working. I'm not sure he ever even got his GED. Like I've said before - 10 kids growing up poor in a home where education didn't really get a high priority.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Gonna try a loaf of English Muffin bread again. This time using a different recipe that calls for a cold fermentation of at least 20 hours so we'll see how it turns out tomorrow.

Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
One of my second cousins I see has gotten a job. I’m happy for him although he may not know he’s related to me he’s a little slow and kind of be one of those that you can only take so much up for a short time

Reactions: NWICY
Status
Not open for further replies.