ULL Message Boards

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
The winters in Louisiana are much colder than Florida. Add in the humidity along with the ponds/waterways and it’s intense. The summers between the two states are similar. It’s hot as balls down here...that fall air will lend a pep in their steps for sure. To be fair the same could be said for ISU.
Well most of our tailgate setups have propane heaters; toward the end of season, November and December games can be pretty nippy, one we had few years back 8 degrees at kick, 3 at final whistle, ice all over field :) Had to clean seats of snow and ice.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The winters in Louisiana are much colder than Florida. Add in the humidity along with the ponds/waterways and it’s intense. The summers between the two states are similar. It’s hot as balls down here...that fall air will lend a pep in their steps for sure. To be fair the same could be said for ISU.
Average low for Louisiana during the coldest month of the year is above freezing in Louisiana with avg highs in the 50s. We call that t shirt weather here.;)

Big Buds

Aug 25, 2020
Average low for Louisiana during the coldest month of the year is above freezing in Louisiana with avg highs in the 50s. We call that t shirt weather here.;)
I’m talking about the game day weather tomorrow, along with making a comparison between Louisiana and Florida. Tomorrow’s weather in Ames won’t be an issue. We love it between 55-75! Who doesn’t?! No way am I suggesting it’s colder down here than Iowa!

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
When I was at ISU, used to call Central Campus "Little Siberia" in the winter, Iowa is a Main target for the polar vortex, but we don't have to worry about alligators of snakes too much, there are a few snakes, but nothing like you have!

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Did you happen to find out which players tested positive for covid, makes me a little nervous, those guys had to be practicing with the rest of your team this week, hope protocols hold true. Prob ought to make you a little nervous for your match up next week.

Big Buds

Aug 25, 2020
Well most of our tailgate setups have propane heaters; toward the end of season, November and December games can be pretty nippy, one we had few years back 8 degrees at kick, 3 at final whistle, ice all over field :) Had to clean seats of snow and ice.
That’s nuts! I couldn’t imagine having to drive through that a few months out of the year.

Big Buds

Aug 25, 2020
Did you happen to find out which players tested positive for covid, makes me a little nervous, those guys had to be practicing with the rest of your team this week, hope protocols hold true.
No. What’s strange is nothing was mentioned about a positive test. Just didn’t pass screening. Keep in mind this came from another message board so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VeloClone and NWICY

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Did you happen to find out which players tested positive for covid, makes me a little nervous, those guys had to be practicing with the rest of your team this week, hope protocols hold true. Prob ought to make you a little nervous for your match up next week.
Where are you seeing they had players test positive?

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Seems some of them are putting a lot of stock in their new "run stuffer," a transfer from Florida International who sat out last year. He wasn't even a full-time starter at Florida International. He did start 8 of the 11 games he appeared in, but he only recorded 15 tackles, one TFL and one sack. I know a nose tackle does more than just tackle ball carriers, but I think they are just enamored of his size, 6-5, 333.

I doubt Ray Lima had stats any better than that last year, and he was a darn good nose tackle. He is definitely a big guy, and may be hard to move. We will know in a few hours if Hudson or others can get him out of there, or at least keep him from tying up more than one guy, which was what Ray was so good at.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I would think that it would violate the HIPAA laws to tell who tested positive. There might be some guys that do not show up tomorrow, but they could be sick or injured or violated team rules or been abducted by aliens.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
No. What’s strange is nothing was mentioned about a positive test. Just didn’t pass screening. Keep in mind this came from another message board so take it with a grain of salt.
Maybe they haad been in contact with somebody who had tested positive, but they had still tested neg.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
I've seen too many ISU teams come out and lay an egg for opening games to feel at all confident about this one. I hope that an experienced QB helps that, but I'm expecting a game into the 4th quarter.
For me, its more about hoping than expecting. LA has 82 returning letterman from an 11 win team, ranking them #13 on Phil Steele's experience index, while we have 42 returning from a team that really didn't show up after Thanksgiving, ranking us #81. A team like that is primed to start the season strong, and God love CMC, but his ISU teams have never hit stride until October. I know the 11 point spread is what it should be, at least on paper, but my gut says pick-em.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Visit the link I provided. It’s a tad long but really explains the story. We get grief from every in-state school!
By the way, it occurs to me that you guys might have some branding problems. After all, UofL is already Louisville, and UL is firmly established as Underwriters Laboratories. That’s why everyone wants to toss in that extra “L”.

Now, you might be able to make some progress at the latter, but may I suggest a simpler solution? Yes, a straightforward “Louisiana” works, but it has too many syllables for lots of purposes.

However, Mississippi has the exact same problem, but they wiggle around it. So might I suggest that if “Ole Miss“ works for them, that your school try something similar? Not to be presumptuous, but something simple and direct like “Sweet Lou” might work very well.

But you Ragin’ Cajuns know the character, the true soul of your school far better than I do, so good luck!

Big Buds

Aug 25, 2020
By the way, it occurs to me that you guys might have some branding problems. After all, UofL is already Louisville, and UL is firmly established as Underwriters Laboratories. That’s why everyone wants to toss in that extra “L”.

Now, you might be able to make some progress at the latter, but may I suggest a simpler solution? Yes, a straightforward “Louisiana” works, but it has too many syllables for lots of purposes.

However, Mississippi has the exact same problem, but they wiggle around it. So might I suggest that if “Ole Miss“ works for them, that your school try something similar? Not to be presumptuous, but something simple and direct like “Sweet Lou” might work very well.

But you Ragin’ Cajuns know the character, the true soul of your school far better than I do, so good luck!
I like “Sweet Lou”!

I agree that UL can get mistaken for other institutions. That is why we push Louisiana first and foremost. There has be talks of going from UL to LA but I just don’t see it happening. Too many people in our area identify with UL.

Reactions: Aclone

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
@Big Buds just wanted to say you are a good dude. Would love having another home and away with you guys. I would definitely come down there to enjoy some food. Cajun food is my favorite style of food period. I haven't had a good bowl of gumbo for some time. If things go our way this year (both football and virus wise) maybe I'll be making a trip to New Orleans for bowl season.

GeauxUL

Sep 12, 2020
Hey guys....another UL fan here.

Looking forward to the game today.....I think it will be a great game to watch. Of course, I am thinking we will prevail, but I might be a bit biased!

Also, I have to point out that there are VERY few UL fans that go to the SBC board. So that is not really representative of our fan base.

There are two UL boards...the one listed in the OP is actually a newer but popular one, however the oldest one is Ragin Pagin

GEAUX CAJUNS!!!

Big Buds

Aug 25, 2020
@Big Buds just wanted to say you are a good dude. Would love having another home and away with you guys. I would definitely come down there to enjoy some food. Cajun food is my favorite style of food period. I haven't had a good bowl of gumbo for some time. If things go our way this year (both football and virus wise) maybe I'll be making a trip to New Orleans for bowl season.
I’d love nothing more than to pass a good time with y’all!