8/10 weather

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Still don't have power in Ames. I wish we had more info than 'we're working on it'. Like, any time estimate at all?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
no power and hear that Linn County REC is asking for help from the Pacific NW - they won't be here for 3 days.

This may be a long wait.

How did society make it before electricity?

^This. When you walk into a room and flip the light switch out of habit knowing that the power is out.

Reactions: bawbie and 2020cy

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Has Governor Bar in the Car gotten her bf Trump to declare a disaster area yet?

nope. I’m not sure that she even declared a state disaster until yesterday.

and there’s no reason several counties shouldn’t be national disaster areas today.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
This is my sisters back yard in Cedar Rapids. They have to have a crane come in to drop a couple huge widow makers hanging above the house. Everything is set up but they have to wait for an adjuster to come out. Not good news with another storm possibly coming through on Friday. My parents went out yesterday and said things are infinitely worse on that side of the state.

19E8CBBF-46AE-40D9-8AB3-9CD15E7B7734.jpeg

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Just got power and internet back for the first time since Monday when the storm hit. We are amongst the lucky ones with only a tree down away from the house and siding blown off. I haven't read what other people in Cedar Rapids have said but it's complete devastation here and apparently unless you were in the storm's path or heard from someone, nobody else truly knows how horrible it is. Trees/power lines on houses, on the streets, everywhere. No power in literally 3/4 of the city (was literally the entire city last night, some restored this morning). Limited grocery stores, home improvement stores are open due to no power. Even if they are open supplies are flying off the shelves. Lines are wrapping through the aisles because of limited to no manual cash only sales. People are running out of gas for their cars and chainsaws but no gas stations are open unless they have a generator or one of the few with generators. If they are open, the lines are at least 1.5 hours if the station itself doesn't run out of gas. Food is spoiling unless you have a way to keep it cool. Both hospitals sustained major damage. Very few stoplights are powered (not even blinking red), and are severely damaged (bent, broken, or just completely gone). Not asking for pity for us but just to spread the word for people who literally still cannot ask for help. There are many people in this city who don't even have the resources to move forward or even have a safe home to sleep in tonight (and I'm not exaggerating).

Last edited:

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
This is my sisters back yard in Cedar Rapids. They have to have a crane come in to drop a couple huge widow makers hanging above the house. Everything is set up but they have to wait for an adjuster to come out. Not good news with another storm possibly coming through on Friday. My parents went out yesterday and said things are infinitely worse on that side of the state.
Haven't read the thread yet - but the ENTIRE TOWN looks like that. 40-50% of tress are down all over town. We didn't have cell coverage until last night, and it'll probably be next week before most of town gets power. (We got out of town)

In my neighborhood (SE) almost all the trees missed houses, but a couple cars were crushed and there is some house damage. I've heard parts of Marion are worse

On the bright side - they got a transmission line into town working and some areas (Lindale, Bowman Woods & Echo Hill) have power again.

Reactions: keepngoal

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Wednesday evening...still looking for utility trucks in our area.:( Lines still on the ground. Mixture of Alliant and Consumers. Usually, Consumers beats Alliant in getting service back running. Alliant struggles most of the time. I will be surprised if we have power until the weekend or after.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
nope. I’m not sure that she even declared a state disaster until yesterday.

and there’s no reason several counties shouldn’t be national disaster areas today.
I'm not a Reynolds defender, but issuing a disaster proclamation the day after an event is pretty normal.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Haven't read the thread yet - but the ENTIRE TOWN looks like that. 40-50% of tress are down all over town. We didn't have cell coverage until last night, and it'll probably be next week before most of town gets power. (We got out of town)

In my neighborhood (SE) almost all the trees missed houses, but a couple cars were crushed and there is some house damage. I've heard parts of Marion are worse

On the bright side - they got a transmission line into town working and some areas (Lindale, Bowman Woods & Echo Hill) have power again.
At what point does the national guard show up?

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa
I’m on the far NE side of Ankeny and still no power. My power company is Consumer Electric and according to their website, their transmission grid was damaged pretty bad and because of that many of their substations are offline. I’m tired of seeing people to the south of me with power, but nothing a guy can do.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I’m on the far NE side of Ankeny and still no power. My power company is Consumer Electric and according to their website, their transmission grid was damaged pretty bad and because of that many of their substations are offline. I’m tired of seeing people to the south of me with power, but nothing a guy can do.

I hear it could be at least next week for you guys. I live on nw side of ANKENY and we have mid am and feel your pain. We don’t have it either and looking across the field we back up to I see lights on in peoples houses and it’s frustrating.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I really don't understand how I have power and dsl right now. I'm on consumer electric service as well in-between Cambridge and Huxley. They're telling people Tuesday they will have a better idea of when power will be restored in Huxley, likely Monday for a friend in Ames.