Tyrese Hunter PG '21 - Committed!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Welcome aboard!!!

You won’t regret it. I wish I could have stayed at ISU my whole life.... easily the best times of my life.

Reactions: cdface

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Corey Evans Rivals story.

"One of the best and most talented point guards available, Tyrese Hunter has come to his college decision. The four-star guard out of Milwaukee gave his verbal commitment to Iowa State on Tuesday afternoon.

“The relationship that I have with Coach (Steve) Prohm and the rest of the staff was why I chose Iowa State. Through my whole recruitment, they stayed real and consistent with me. It made me feel the most comfortable,” Hunter told Rivals.com. “It means a lot to just seeing how they developed Tyrese Haliburton and other guards there. That’s more trust for me to put into Coach Prohm.”
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/iowa-state-strikes-with-tyrese-hunter
That's pretty awesome to hear.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Prohm and Campbell still can't recruit Iowa kids.

...god I hope this wasn't needed, but :jimlad:

Welcome to Ames, Tyrese! Freakin' stoked to have you donning the Cardinal & Gold.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
This isn't how recruiting is supposed to go, there's supposed to be some late info that he is going elsewhere before he commits.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
This isn't how recruiting is supposed to go, there's supposed to be some late info that he is going elsewhere before he commits.
this was a really weird recruitment but i guess thats par for the course this summer

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
We have had some pretty good PG's rocking the #11. I like his chances to join the greats who have worn it before him.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Nice article by a Florida writer on Tyrese Hunter just last week. They were thought to of been making a push for him. Really speaks highly of TH's defense and athleticism.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/florid...on&utm_medium=Web-Push&utm_campaign=Wordpress

At 6’1” and 160 pounds, Hunter has incredible bounce. Whether it’s in transition at a full sprint or in the half court where he can elevate to finish to grab an alley-oop with two hands and finish, his explosiveness is truly eye popping. Check out his junior season highlights here.

Hunter in the same way knows how to use his athleticism on the defensive end. You’ll see him always showing max effort on defense–getting into a stance and never taking a break during a defensive possession. When guarding the ball he’ll apply intense pressure and if someone tries to set a screen on him he’ll go at it with force, bouncing off the screener and making them think twice about whether they want to set another pick on him. In his highlights you’ll also see a lot of ridiculous blocks where he gets way above the rim, something you don’t see from a lot of 6’1” guards.

Perhaps the best part of watching Hunter play defense is the fact that he seems to show genuine pride on that side of the floor. For so many young players looking to rise up recruiting rankings these days it’s the offensive side of the ball where they want to expend their energy but for Hunter his quest for attention starts by dominating the defensive side of the ball.

While his defense (deservingly) gets most of the attention Hunter also can get buckets, particularly on drives where his speed allows him to get past his man and his athleticism gets him to hang in the air before finishing. Hunter lives going downhill on offense and any time he can get up to full speed with the ball in his hands the defense is in trouble. Right now his jump shot is a bit of a question mark but his mechanics do look good. His stroke is compact and repeatable, but right now the shots just don’t fall for him at a huge clip. The fact his stroke looks mechanically solid should suggest he will improve as a shooter but right now it’s not a strength. The fact that he isn’t a knockdown shooter is also a big reason why he’s not rated higher in recruiting rankings despite his elite athleticism.