Ouch, Coach Patterson ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
No clue what the player's reasoning is for coming at Patterson, but TCU players are calling out that player and saying he's making the situation seem different than it actually was.

Seems like he goaded Patterson into saying it.

If he has players backing him, this will blow over. He'll issue an apology, pledge to do better, and we'll all move on.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
I don't believe it is until proven otherwise, I just can't believe Patterson would be that stupid. He's been doing this a long time now.
Hard to believe in the current environment that a coach would be that arrogant to think he could get away with it. I'm with you and will wait and see if it's true.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Live look at Husch Blackwell en route to Fort Worth.

Classic_Dukes_of_Hazzard_clip.gif
This is the best post you've ever made lol

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
When dealing with a child - and it sounds like the player was being a child - he had to be very explicit with the actions that are NOT acceptable in his program, under TCU's roof.

BS that this is even a thread.

The right way to make sure it's understood that the n word is not acceptable at TCU is to say the n word?
Nah, this was a lapse in judgement on Patterson's part even if he was goaded into it.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The right way to make sure it's understood that the n word is not acceptable at TCU is to say the n word?
Nah, this was a lapse in judgement on Patterson's part even if he was goaded into it.

Ya this kid might be a button pusher and GPatt got rekt.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

It may have been a lapse of judgment in a heated moment, but the player running off to the Twitters with this bears the brunt of the responsibility. Looks like he is completely misrepresenting what is happening.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Sooo another player who was always in trouble with coaching staff looking to flip the script somehow? Next.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It may have been a lapse of judgment in a heated moment, but the player running off to the Twitters with this bears the brunt of the responsibility. Looks like he is completely misrepresenting what is happening.

Sure, holding Patterson responsible for using a word that he shouldn't (regardless of context) doesn't absolve the player from misrepresenting what happened. There's no hero in this story - both guys were in the wrong to some degree.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
It's not okay for white people to use that word. Regardless of context or whatever variation you're using.
What if it's used in a book you are reading? Or if you are directly quoting someone?

My mindset is "where you trying to harm someone by using the word". I don't believe Patterson was trying to harm anyone.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
What if it's used in a book you are reading? Or if you are directly quoting someone?

My mindset is "where you trying to harm someone by using the word". I don't believe Patterson was trying to harm anyone.

I don't think he was either, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a racially charged word. Whatever the intent or context, it's going to cause a strong reaction and there were better ways for him to communicate that the use of the word isn't tolerated at TCU.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Have you heard of the term "N-word"?
Yes I have lol. From how I read the story, Coach Patterson said the literal word. Not directed towards the player, but he said it in a different context.

Status
Not open for further replies.