Ouch, Coach Patterson ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I don't get it. Coach P told his player to stop saying "n" word in meeting room per the tweet? Is he a racist because he told a player to quit saying a racist word? What am I missing?

I think the problem is that he actually dropped the N bomb (allegedly). Even if he's using it within the context of "don't say this word" it's still just a bad look for a middle aged white guy in charge of a program that is mostly made up of young black men to throw it around. Gotta find a better way to communicate your point.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't get it. Coach P told his player to stop saying "n" word in meeting room per the tweet? Is he a racist because he told a player to quit saying a racist word? What am I missing?
I think it had to do with him literally saying the word.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Didn't a Netflix exec. get fired for saying that word in a simialr context? I think he may have been quoting somebody who said it and had zero malicious intent. Or am I on drugs?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Didn't a Netflix exec. get fired for saying that word in a simialr context? I think he may have been quoting somebody who said it and had zero malicious intent. Or am I on drugs?

I think the takeaway is that regardless of context, just don't say the word. Ever. It's not a real well-hidden landmine, so just step right over it and save yourself the consequences.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I remember someone getting into a PR nightmare for using the word "niggardly" even though it has no relationship to the word in question here.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006

You can't say bomb on a plane.

I said it's not like I have a bomb.

Still said bomb.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I remember someone getting into a PR nightmare for using the word "niggardly" even though it has no relationship to the word in question here.

It's like Boggle. If you can lift out enough letters in a sentence to make that word up, you're at fault.

This is BS plain and simple and now THIS will forever be part of his narrative and the stupid news cycle.

BS plain and simple...

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Ignoring completely the alleged context?
DId you even read what I said? I am not calling for his head but saying the full word is dumb. There is plenty of other ways to get his point across without saying the word.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Ignoring completely the alleged context?

It's an racially charged word and it's asking for trouble no matter what context you're using it. How hard would it have been for him to make his point without saying the actual word? And you may not have a problem with him using it to make his point, but someone else (say, a twenty year old black man) might.
Someone who's been around as long as he has probably should have known better.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I have zero problem with him telling his player in public exactly what word is offensive and to demand he quit using it.
And that's how a lot of his players seem to viewing this too, however this player seemed to have had a problem with it.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I think the problem is that he actually dropped the N bomb (allegedly). Even if he's using it within the context of "don't say this word" it's still just a bad look for a middle aged white guy in charge of a program that is mostly made up of young black men to throw it around. Gotta find a better way to communicate your point.

When dealing with a child - and it sounds like the player was being a child - he had to be very explicit with the actions that are NOT acceptable in his program, under TCU's roof.

BS that this is even a thread.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Because he got in trouble probably.
No clue what the player's reasoning is for coming at Patterson, but TCU players are calling out that player and saying he's making the situation seem different than it actually was.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Just think if we hadn’t enslaved an entire race and then after releasing them from bondage carried out a decades long program of minimizing and terrorizing that race we could all be saying the n word freely every day! How cool would that be!?!?!?

Reactions: diaclone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron